terrierman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Surely most men would love been a terrierman for a pack. During cubbing your out at dawn four days a week watching hounds at their craft while probably getting a dig or two in every morning. During th

hunt terrierman's job can be rewarding doesnt have to be in £££££ to be rewarded good relationship with huntsman the hunt masters and you will get your respect .be a tosser at your job and like any other job you wont last i can remember going out at 2am just to stop up brock setts every week twice to asure a good days hunting and carry on the day doing terrier work its like most jobs how many lads here have a different day job plumbers brickies labours etc weekend terriermen at least you dont have the flesh house each day to contend with .like any other day job it has its down sides but if you choose to do it your heart has to be in it .a good hunt terrierman wont do much digging anyway noel.

some do, some have to contend with the conservation packs, that like to have a terr man any way, just in case they want a fox, i was out with my local pack, hounds had a brace from the eagle, and one ran to ground, by a pheasant pen, but the terr men were, allowed to have him, so there you have it, it aint all digging these days.

BANG ^^

bang,are you saying that hounds that dont mark are no use

All i will say is,different dogs(hounds)for different jobs.

Markers are a must in any pack but not every hound must be able to follow this task.

yep,I totaly agree I have a small pack but unfortunatly none of them mark very good if at all,and I cant seem to get any anywhere atb

BANG ^^

not entirely, some hounds chase foxes as there job and they love it, some hounds hate foxes and want to kill foxes. in my eyes as a terrierman, these are the hounds i like and think should be bred off etc. most hounds that hate foxes and hunt for blood will mark. back in the day there were ways to make hounds mark that were very affective, but there still needs to be that blood lust there.

agree with Don's last statement.

not sure im correct on this but i think in recent years with more gun packs and more gun pack type activities has lost some of this hate of foxes.obviously fewer packs are as persistent for a conclusion of a hunt since 2003 where as before perhaps more stopping was done and hunt could be pushed that much further, im sad to say all to often conclusions to days are often vague. without question all packs need good drawing and flushing hounds but when the above is the case very few need a hound that can pull a fix down single handed or stay at a mark for an hour or more.

BANG ^^

not entirely, some hounds chase foxes as there job and they love it, some hounds hate foxes and want to kill foxes. in my eyes as a terrierman, these are the hounds i like and think should be bred off etc. most hounds that hate foxes and hunt for blood will mark. back in the day there were ways to make hounds mark that were very affective, but there still needs to be that blood lust there.

agree with Don's last statement.

not sure im correct on this but i think in recent years with more gun packs and more gun pack type activities has lost some of this hate of foxes.obviously fewer packs are as persistent for a conclusion of a hunt since 2003 where as before perhaps more stopping was done and hunt could be pushed that much further, im sad to say all to often conclusions to days are often vague. without question all packs need good drawing and flushing hounds but when the above is the case very few need a hound that can pull a fix down single handed or stay at a mark for an hour or more.

Are you a terrierman for a pack in Ireland? What pack?