wild boar on your ticket

Hi i have the firearms officer coming tomorrow as i have put in to change my .243 for a 308 and have boar added to my ticket, i have handed in the written permission and some pics of the damage.

What i need is, has anyone got this on theirs already that can fill me in with any doe`s and dont`s with boar shooting many thanks Eddie....................

Edited by apollo

Hi i have the firearms officer coming tomorrow as i have put in to change my .243 for a 308 and have boar added to my ticket, i have handed in the written permission and some pics of the damage.

What i need is, has anyone got this on theirs already that can fill me in with any doe`s and dont`s with boar shooting many thanks Eddie....................

do you need to have proof of boar in your area if your ticket is already open? my ticket states i can use my .243 for deer and vermin control and in connection with the management of any estate other wildlife. i take it that includes boar? i know people who have shot boar abroad using a .243 is there a minimum calibre in this country? are you changing to .308 of your own accord or because the firearms officer suggested it?

the 243 is the min i would use, in saying that it is perfectly up to the job with the correct bullet, 100gr corlokt would be good or norma 100gr. this is for general control if you are only shooting big boars 308-3006 with 150-180 softpoints is the min i would use, having to buy another rifle just to shoot boar is not really needed if you can hold ya normal deerstalking rifle steady enough, it's not often a boar will charge you unless you are hunting them with dogs, sows get a bit toey if they have little ones though.

1979Keeper

Sorry mate - Wild Boar are NOT regarded as vermin by UK Firearms Licensing - a separate condition needs to be added to your ticket to keep you on the right side of your ticket.

Apollo

No probs with getting pigs on my ticket - and by pref I use 30 cal - up to .375 hh - for shits n giggles!

Don't shoot it like a deer - corner of the elbow can just graze top rear of lung - pig runs and doesnt leave much blood - and the legend of the bullet proof pig continues.

Chest shot - above front leg and 10cm up gets the heart/lungs comfortably - lower n further forward than deer.

My pref is a head shot - the ideal is half way along a line from eye to base of ear. You have 20cm zone there that drops them like they been hit by a truck. Head is much less mobile than a deer and a good bet from the point of view of using smaller calibres.

bigpig.jpg

I have used 6mm PPC at 220m on this shot - its surgically accurate and thus just as effective as a 50 cal - the animal was down without a twitch.

Rgds Ian ;)

Edited by IanF
the 243 is the min i would use, in saying that it is perfectly up to the job with the correct bullet, 100gr corlokt would be good or norma 100gr. this is for general control if you are only shooting big boars 308-3006 with 150-180 softpoints is the min i would use, having to buy another rifle just to shoot boar is not really needed if you can hold ya normal deerstalking rifle steady enough, it's not often a boar will charge you unless you are hunting them with dogs, sows get a bit toey if they have little ones though.

always used .243 for on muntjack, chinese, roe, fallow, red and all my foxing. wouldn't want to buy a bigger calibre just for boar as i feel its overkill for the smaller deer species which are the bulk of my shooting. prefer to stick to one rifle using it almost everyday i'm confident with putting the bullet where i want it.

1979Keeper

Ahhh Mate - you're missing the point!!

This gives you the reason to own a Stainless / Synthetic 30 cal - then you are sorted for almost any game - worldwide!

Go to Scandinavia and the 30 is used from Beaver to Moose. Africa and almost any plains game up to Eland is adequately covered. Germany/E Europe and you have a bit of extra knockdown for use on driven hunts.

...... and yes it works fine on pigs as well! :)

Incidentally, as per other suggestions on this thread - although .240 will do - the likes of BASC etc recommend min of .270 and 150gn.

Bigger does it a little better - especially if everything is not quite perfect!

Rgds Ian ;)

1979Keeper

Sorry mate - Wild Boar are NOT regarded as vermin by UK Firearms Licensing - a separate condition needs to be added to your ticket to keep you on the right side of your ticket.

ian

the clause is sperate from deer and vermin it reads "the lawful shooting of, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife." i should check with my local firearms officer. if it allows me to shoot boar all well and good. having looked at that photo i think i'd want to be using a bigger rifle!

I dont really mind changing guns as i can use it for the deer aswell and we only have fallow so it makes sense , what i want is to keep my ticket open and to be able to use on foxes when i want as my other fox rifle is a .17 rem and no good in the winter or the welsh mountains far to windy......

lolol - what the Kiwi said! Head shots work - period.

BUT...... isn't it a great idea to have ANOTHER deer legal calibre - for lending to friends - for back up when your everyday tool is off line?..... 'for Deer, Wild Boar and occasional Fox'

No reason to change rifles - get another - you know it makes sense!

I have the same wording - the Wild Boar are additional - but good luck with the FEO.

Rgds Ian ;)

Edited by IanF

butchering all the deer i shoot so tend to head or neck shoot, no chance of any meat damage. would be confident in head shooting a boar with the .243 but i'd hate to fall foul of our well thought out laws though! on a slightly different note, what are boar like to butcher have done a domestic pigs and we scald the bristles. do you have to skin boar and how easy is it?

One of our Marsupial friends will doubtless come in here with some patent tricks and tips - I've managed it three ways so far.

Skin it off - sharp blade and a handy sharpener makes life easier. Skin is attached unlike on a deer so it can be a slow job if you are used to sub sixty second Roe deer! Suspended or rolled from side to side in a cradle.

Scald it - option two - good gas ring and metal tub (half barrel) of broiling water........ ladle on the water and scrap off the bristles with knife. Try and avoid dripping water & scalding yourself - its kind of embarrassing explaining your injuries in casualty. Of course I would have no experience of this sort of thing.......... (hint: dont wear shorts during this manouver!) :(

Scorchio! - Option the third! Handy butane burners - flame the bristles off & much scraping. Thoughts include - don't do it indoors, upwind from the wife or any nearby public gathering....... the resultant stench is not something that wins you brownie points.

Rgds Ian :)

don't know if this would work as well with boar as it does with pigs our cheats way of scalding the bristles. hang the pig and you can take most the bristles off using a pressure washer on steam no chance of water cooling no endless scraping and less chance of scalding yourself! reckon boar could be a bit too bristly.