The most over rated, over used piece of kit. Lads spend small fortunes on finders and never bother their arses learning how to use them and then depend on a piece of steel that in most cases only hinders a terrier at his work.

so you all joined hand and had a séance to locate your terrier that had been to ground for hours

and was mute , ear to the ground better than a t five or six inches in to the ground to listen

prey tell all how you located your superior terriers and tube , trenching , not being a smart

just like to know , as the old men many long gone , used them , and used them successfully

yes the location systems of today are superior , but a t is still a Handy bit of history

to fall back on , never dug by pylons , or a railways line and you bf goes haywire

I thought we were talking about nowadays as the original post was about getting a new bar.

Tell me this, why do lads put a collar on the terrier then locate the terrier and then sink a bar to verify that the terrier is indeed there?

Doesn't say much for the system you've bought or your ability to use it.

Bars can injure terriers and quarry, they also put more pressure on quarry to move and they show a terriermans lack of confidence in his terrier if he has to sink a hole.

Yes bars are usefull when a locator fails and they are usefull when a fox is in a tight spot. They are usefull in shale too.

But the vast majority of lads use the bar on most routine digs because they are unsure what they are doing.

And yes I carry a bar in my vehicle, I carry 3 in fact.

Years ago quarry was located by ear, fieldcraft, terriers that sounded but didn't stay and a heavy terrier or two at the end when the game needed to be pulled back and out. Men in those days could also use shovels well and mute terriers were rare and unwanted by most.

And Mushray, how the f**k have you suddenly learned a bit about digging???

Your a f**ken disgrace and embarresment with the amount of shit comes from your big mouth!!!! :thumbdown:

Is that it???? No comments on digging. No personal opinions on digging etc. etc. Just personal attacks on me. No disagreeing with my comments on the use of the bar whilst digging. No contributions to the topic, a pity.

While we're talking Mushy, I seen a photo of Billy Liar the other day in his yard (well I hope it was his yard and not some poor ejits) and sticking out of his ass was two little legs. Were they yours????

Take it easy with that bar (see photo for reference).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most over rated, over used piece of kit. Lads spend small fortunes on finders and never bother their arses learning how to use them and then depend on a piece of steel that in most cases only hinders a terrier at his work.

so you all joined hand and had a séance to locate your terrier that had been to ground for hours

and was mute , ear to the ground better than a t five or six inches in to the ground to listen

prey tell all how you located your superior terriers and tube , trenching , not being a smart

just like to know , as the old men many long gone , used them , and used them successfully

yes the location systems of today are superior , but a t is still a Handy bit of history

to fall back on , never dug by pylons , or a railways line and you bf goes haywire

I thought we were talking about nowadays as the original post was about getting a new bar.

Tell me this, why do lads put a collar on the terrier then locate the terrier and then sink a bar to verify that the terrier is indeed there?

Doesn't say much for the system you've bought or your ability to use it.

Bars can injure terriers and quarry, they also put more pressure on quarry to move and they show a terriermans lack of confidence in his terrier if he has to sink a hole.

Yes bars are usefull when a locator fails and they are usefull when a fox is in a tight spot. They are usefull in shale too.

But the vast majority of lads use the bar on most routine digs because they are unsure what they are doing.

And yes I carry a bar in my vehicle, I carry 3 in fact.

Years ago quarry was located by ear, fieldcraft, terriers that sounded but didn't stay and a heavy terrier or two at the end when the game needed to be pulled back and out. Men in those days could also use shovels well and mute terriers were rare and unwanted by most.

And Mushray, how the f**k have you suddenly learned a bit about digging???

Your a f**ken disgrace and embarresment with the amount of shit comes from your big mouth!!!! :thumbdown:

Is that it???? No comments on digging. No personal opinions on digging etc. etc. Just personal attacks on me. No disagreeing with my comments on the use of the bar whilst digging. No contributions to the topic, a pity.

While we're talking Mushy, I seen a photo of Billy Liar the other day in his yard (well I hope it was his yard and not some poor ejits) and sticking out of his ass was two little legs. Were they yours????

Take it easy with that bar (see photo for reference).

Neil thats all i was saying they have a use in the right ground in circumstances, even today

the justification to use one in tandem with a bf is not to be taken lightly , in the wrong

hands they can be a hindrance in the right hands usefull , i have i know wish to argue the

right or wrongs of using one , and never having Owend a super star terrier , have had to use

many things to locate terriers , the first person i seen use one was a certain man in

Lancashire who has never wrote a book never showed terrier in a ring just worked half a dozen

hounds a worked a line of leggy Russel's that done a job ;) ,

Edited by gonetoearth

Ive only seen 2 lengths quoted,36" and 48" if you dont know how to find a terrier working a fox at that depth without shoving a bar in youre either deaf or have no sense of feeling in your body,never needed one.

Im sure nobody would need to probe at 3-4' its obviously so you can probe while standing.

Kyle

Ninetieth,

In the vehicle we always have a mattock (which we seldom use) ,we also have a hook (which we seldom use), we also have bars (which hopefully we wont use). Like I say, over used and over rated.

sand ,

flint

peat

soil,

woodland , roots etc

old tips ,

drains, clay, steel,

rock piles

brorans

not all digs are the same, not being blessed with a hunt on my door step Ive spent many

years traveling the country watching and gleaning from people different tools and different

ways, along the way met some good and some bad and some indifferent , the main thing is we have

come a long way in the location of terriers , the Grey box still used by many , bf, Orthodox ,

in the right hands they have been invaluable, in the wrong hands ruined few terriers ,

you carry a bar , a t bar, a various other tools, why experience has told you all digs are not

them same, other wise why carry them ,i been with people who had hounds that marked fox , been

people that hounds mark anything , terriers that wont go near anything other than red , been

with people that evidently have delusions of grandeur , i am lucky to be of an age that

had a free rain to tag along with many different people and experience all forms of fox

control , , and still stand back a watch if invited work my terriers and the situation in my opinion is sutible will , if invited help to dig will,

never dismiss any one or any thing , at the end or the day you put you terrier to ground

you get them out using the best method available in the situation your in ,,

Edited by gonetoearth

Ive only seen 2 lengths quoted,36" and 48" if you dont know how to find a terrier working a fox at that depth without shoving a bar in youre either deaf or have no sense of feeling in your body,never needed one.

Im sure nobody would need to probe at 3-4' its obviously so you can probe while standing.

Kyle

That makes about as much sense as Alexi Sayle,you push and it gets shorter mate or you arent fukin using it at all :blink: But wtf do i know?

more shit :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::chair:

A T- bar is not used for digging, just locating the tube(s). They are invaluable for ferretting when you have several ferrets to ground and not all collared up.

On bigger quarry, its nice to know what you are gonna be digging through (especially on the moor where there are massive granite boulders below the surface a lot of the time. Sometimes when you get down a few feet there are lots of tubes, (especially in old rabbit places) and it's handy to know which direction they go.

Mine cost a fiver from the local blacksmith. It's just a bit of concrete reinforcing rod ground and welded together.

Don't always use it but always take it.

As the old saying goes " It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it":victory:

Cheers, D.

post-10409-079679600 1281170770_thumb.jpg