Late Starters

At what age do you give up on a terrier pup? I have seen pups being dug at little over a year, showing too much agression and after half a dozen digs are finished. On the other hand, I have seen pups not catching on until nearly 2 year old and making excellent digging dogs who have a bit of sense and working until maybe 9 or 10 years old. What is your opinion

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have a dog that was a very slow starter. he was nearly 30 months until the penny dropped. the only reason i kept him on was because he was showing a few small signs that he had more to offer. if any

One of the terriers my mate breed was a dog called dog Todd. He was a big strong dog weighing in at about 18lb. Anyone who seen the dog working would have said he was exceptional. Todd always done eno

I realy like my terriers to act like they want to see some work from 6-8 months onwards...but i dont let them have a single taste until around 12-14 months...i show them summat one time at that age....then i hold them back until around the 18-24month age, and give them a fairly easy first season...after that, i give them everything they can take (but i never work them sore)...ive f****d up good dogs in the past, and know im a little older and a little wise, and there is NOTHING to be gained buy entering young, and everything to be gained buy holding them back.

Guest busterdog

I realy like my terriers to act like they want to see some work from 6-8 months onwards...but i dont let them have a single taste until around 12-14 months...i show them summat one time at that age....then i hold them back until around the 18-24month age, and give them a fairly easy first season...after that, i give them everything they can take (but i never work them sore)...ive f****d up good dogs in the past, and know im a little older and a little wise, and there is NOTHING to be gained buy entering young, and everything to be gained buy holding them back.

I'm not much different, although i usually have them marking to ground at 12 months old, each dog will be different and will mature at different rates. I'll want them to self enter around 14-16 months old but i don't expect them to put it all together untill there second season.

I try to get em started about fourteen month then give em a few digs that season four or five easy ones then leave em till the following season I have found this way if the breeding is right they'll last you I like most have spoilt promising youngsters by trying to over work pups give them time you will benefit in the long run as for dogs starting late How old to old I think if there bred right they'll go one way or another some to a higher standard than others the problem ing eyes is to many so called terrier men buildin there name through a show ring sellin there pups on bigged up storys to young and in experienced lads then surprise surprise the dog either won't enter or jacks stick to the working line of the workin man and your success rate will raise

my lad was an early starter, was first entered at 10mths on an dig along with his aunt. has had a few 3/4ft jobs since. looks a good prospect, doesnt have a reverse. his first real season starts this winter. now he has to prove his worth. hes 2 now. ive also a lakie x patt bitch, wont be entering her till shes 14mths, even then im bringing her on slowly.

Good post Kye.

I know of terriers that where dug at 7 months old, and are still going strong!...but ive had NOTHING but bad luck with early entering!...just stick to what i know know...and thats still hard to get a good terrier!..lol.

I know of terriers that where dug at 7 months old, and are still going strong!...but ive had NOTHING but bad luck with early entering!...just stick to what i know know...and thats still hard to get a good terrier!..lol.

kye with the different type of qarry availible to you in the states , if your terrier was to

show early promise on ground hog , , would you try them on

coon ,that young as i know lads over there say some of them small

terries are to small to cope with a big coon in bales and loose under the barns , them

coons can be a handfull for them tiny ground hog terriers

Edited by gonetoearth

I got a russell bitch i used for ferreting that i had to stop 2 years ago, cos she started entering that id love to try underground, but missed out past two seasons due to domestic stuff, shes coming 7, but think she would have a go, if i can get her a chance.

i have a dog that was a very slow starter. he was nearly 30 months until the penny dropped. the only reason i kept him on was because he was showing a few small signs that he had more to offer. if anyone else would have had him, he wouldn't be here today. thankfully he did come good and at the age of 10 is the best worker i've ever owned...

if given enough chances and you're not making any headway your just wasting your time, other 'terryorrs' just go themselves and don't need schooled, though entering too young could end up backfiring.........good post terryorr.......... :thumbs:

• Like 1
Guest wurzil

I try to get em started about fourteen month then give em a few digs that season four or five easy ones then leave em till the following season I have found this way if the breeding is right they'll last you I like most have spoilt promising youngsters by trying to over work pups give them time you will benefit in the long run as for dogs starting late How old to old I think if there bred right they'll go one way or another some to a higher standard than others the problem ing eyes is to many so called terrier men buildin there name through a show ring sellin there pups on bigged up storys to young and in experienced lads then surprise surprise the dog either won't enter or jacks stick to the working line of the workin man and your success rate will raise

so very true mate, yis wurzil...

i have a dog that was a very slow starter. he was nearly 30 months until the penny dropped. the only reason i kept him on was because he was showing a few small signs that he had more to offer. if anyone else would have had him, he wouldn't be here today. thankfully he did come good and at the age of 10 is the best worker i've ever owned...

if given enough chances and you're not making any headway your just wasting your time, other 'terryorrs' just go themselves and don't need schooled, though entering too young could end up backfiring.........good post terryorr.......... :thumbs:

Best dog i ever see or by the lads that i have known all my life was around the same age as yours ,he certainly made up for the late start and was a pleasure to own.

I have no set times for starting a dog,

I look to the dog to show me how they are developing and when they need to be started. I look at their reactions to their surroundings everytime i'm out with them.

Some will be under a year, some over 18 months( I wait till the summer is over even if it doesn't suit) some will get up to 3 digs their first day out to get them thinking, some will get one very quick dig then more time at home to think about it.

The more flexible your approach the more successful you'll be.

I have one at the moment @ 20months thats ready to rock when hounds start in 4 weeks, but who wasn't ready @17 months when the season finished.

Bryan.