6mnth Old SPRINGER PUP

As title says i have a 6month old springer pup called DUKE! Everything was going well with training untill lately where he just doent want to listen, i think he thinks his nose knows best.

First problem.

* When he's of the lead and starts to get a scent he's off like a bullet, i try to recal with the whistle some times he comes back and when he does he runs straight passed me and goes the other direction. In garden ect everything there is fine, just when were out and about he goes AWOL.

Secondly * Retrieving, he goes and finds the dummy or toy no problem but then he thinks it funny to lie down maybe 6 feet in front of me and when i go to pick it up he's off, or he decides to run right around me with it like its one big game. I know to him he prob thinks it's all fun but im just looking to correct it NOW before he gets older. If yous can help please do. Thanks.

Billy

As title says i have a 6month old springer pup called DUKE! Everything was going well with training untill lately where he just doent want to listen, i think he thinks his nose knows best.

First problem.

* When he's of the lead and starts to get a scent he's off like a bullet, i try to recal with the whistle some times he comes back and when he does he runs straight passed me and goes the other direction. In garden ect everything there is fine, just when were out and about he goes AWOL.

Secondly * Retrieving, he goes and finds the dummy or toy no problem but then he thinks it funny to lie down maybe 6 feet in front of me and when i go to pick it up he's off, or he decides to run right around me with it like its one big game. I know to him he prob thinks it's all fun but im just looking to correct it NOW before he gets older. If yous can help please do. Thanks.

Billy

No panic stations yet mate plenty time to get these things corrected. All new smells when he is out of the garden and he wants to explore, you've got to get that recall perfected and he "must" know who is the boss, sounds like he is testing the boundaries with you.

When he is coming back with the dummy and you see him wanting to slow up just turn and walk away and let him follow, always with lots of praise. Then when he is by your heel just reach down and take it from him. Gradually you will walk less distance when he gets the picture. :thumbs:

i would be careful with the dogs age,its still a pup,ive had springers that aint really matured until 12 months,try and do too much training or correcting you could ruin it,is it your only dog? are you rushing to have it ready for this season? personally io would ease off on this dog and go back to basic stuff

i would be careful with the dogs age,its still a pup,ive had springers that aint really matured until 12 months,try and do too much training or correcting you could ruin it,is it your only dog? are you rushing to have it ready for this season? personally io would ease off on this dog and go back to basic stuff

It is my only dog and my first. Im not trying to rush for season just think im trying to get the perfect dog lol. Thanks for advice, a will keep at the basics the now till he's a bit older.

Billy

It is my only dog and my first. Im not trying to rush for season just think im trying to get the perfect dog lol. Thanks for advice, a will keep at the basics the now till he's a bit older.

Billy

You'd be surprised how many people ruin there dogs by rushing ahead when what there trying to do is make there dog perfect. I did the same with my lab. Take a deep breath, take a step back with the training, just because the dog is 6 months doesnt mean you start training, Take a month off mate, see what hes like then :)

First problem.

Billy

train him where there is no scent at first and the sit and stop command are a must ,remember the dummie is yours so not all the retrieves are his you must go and get some yourself, concentrate on 1 thing at a time move on to next thing when he is up to speed make him wait for instructions be patient wi him and get a good spaniel training book ATB wi him

i had the same problem with my beddy pup at that age mate, he wouldnt listen or just run straight past me,even on the yard he wouldnt listen,so i got him on the long lead :thumbs: worked wonders mate.as for retrieving he'd just try and chew a ball in the alley way,so i used long lead again and now i have ball and rabbit dummy retrieved right up to hand :yes: hes nearly a year and is now a joy to own,just persevere mate :thumbs: also if it helps when he/she is just sniffing and ignoring your commands get some metalwashes on a tied off piece of string,enough to make a clatter,throw it so it lands next to him,but before it lands shout his name worked instant for me,good luck mate,all will turn good in time