Webley & Scott Hawk

I,ve just been clearing out my dear old dads house and found my old air rifle, a Webley & Scott Hawk.

I shot allsorts with this gun when I was a teenager, from birds, rats rabbits etc (and my brother once) but thats another story.

What I would like to know is - have air rifles moved on a bit since this gun? And if I was buying a gun today for rats and squirrels whats my best bet?

As the previous thread, I'd be tempted to refurbish the rifle you already have. As the first reply though, choice is enormous, both new and there is an endless supply of pre-owned.

To say that air rifles have moved on would be barely touching a reply, the latest technology is amazing. If you want to stick to a springer, the best I have ever owned is an Air Arms Pro Sport and Air arms also have other models available. If you want to stick with Webley, I'd say their entire range that was available before they were taken over were possibly the best and most under rated to be had.

If you fancy one of these pre take over models and can find one, I'd jump at it. Two models, I'd recommend, springer would be a Longbow and PCP would have to be the FX2000, I have both, the FX2000 is fantastic.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.........Al :thumbs-up:

Hawks were fairly low powered and still are compared to modern rifles.

How much would you be prepared to spend on a rifle set up?

If you want to take live quarry with a rifle it's only fair to use a rifle running at least 12ft/lbs. Of course anything higher powered than that would require a firearms certificate.

Hawks were fairly low powered and still are compared to modern rifles.

How much would you be prepared to spend on a rifle set up?

If you want to take live quarry with a rifle it's only fair to use a rifle running at least 12ft/lbs. Of course anything higher powered than that would require a firearms certificate.

How much ft/lbs is the Hawk? - the last thing I want are Squirrels running away with a slug in them.

I owned a hawk mk1, the one with two interchangeable barrels- lovely gun, but not up to vermin control.The hawk mk3 got nearer, but still lacking in power, put it away, as a memento, and get a modern gun buddy.