i am not giving you advice but own opinion (no doubt ill be corrected :thumbs: ). iv shot for years and i have never had a professional lesson. i was taught by someone with decades of experience and the same affliction/opinion as me. iv done the self test and I'm sure too i have a left master eye. i close my left eye otherwise i see two barrels. i get criticised by my mates but still hit my targets (sometimes better :) ).

thats 3 of us with affliction then :laugh: when i use the shotty i pick up the bird as it comes into the pattern with both eyes open then as i swing onto it i half close my left eye, this lines up the barrels but still gives you decent binocular vision but concentrates your vision into your right eye, judge your lead and fire. works for me anyway but it needs practice for it to come naturally.

atb

alan.

Hi mate,

if you are shooting a shotgun then yes it is really important that your master eye is in line over the barrels, As this acts like a rear sight for your shotgun, If you are shooting a shotgun with your other eye, then YES it would cause you to miss a crossing bird left to right or either right to left, As you'll be either in front or behind depening on which eye is the master...

A master eye cannot be changed as it is fixed by pathways to the brain at 9 or 10 years of age, It is nothing to do with stronger eyesight, better vision etc..

most left handed people tend to be left eye dominent, and right handed people right eye domanent.... however the ammount of nerves going to each eye during growing up dictate which dominance the eye will have.

however, you do get cross dominance from time to time, meaning left hand shooters will be right eye dominant and vice versa..

Eye dominance, has control of our ocular information, and as such our ability to place the shot..

i shoot a right handed gun but i am left handed, i trained in the military with right handed weapons, and bought my gun right handed, because i was used to it, but i shoot using my master left eye,

you are better to use your master eye if you can, but if you have been shooting a long time then "muscle memory" will make it feel very strange for a long time..

So the answer to your question in long form is NO you cannot change your master eye, As it is set from early childhood as i have said....

hope this helps..

Snap.

Hi mate,

if you are shooting a shotgun then yes it is really important that your master eye is in line over the barrels, As this acts like a rear sight for your shotgun, If you are shooting a shotgun with your other eye, then YES it would cause you to miss a crossing bird left to right or either right to left, As you'll be either in front or behind depening on which eye is the master...

A master eye cannot be changed as it is fixed by pathways to the brain at 9 or 10 years of age, It is nothing to do with stronger eyesight, better vision etc..

most left handed people tend to be left eye dominent, and right handed people right eye domanent.... however the ammount of nerves going to each eye during growing up dictate which dominance the eye will have.

however, you do get cross dominance from time to time, meaning left hand shooters will be right eye dominant and vice versa..

Eye dominance, has control of our ocular information, and as such our ability to place the shot..

i shoot a right handed gun but i am left handed, i trained in the military with right handed weapons, and bought my gun right handed, because i was used to it, but i shoot using my master left eye,

you are better to use your master eye if you can, but if you have been shooting a long time then "muscle memory" will make it feel very strange for a long time..

So the answer to your question in long form is NO you cannot change your master eye, As it is set from early childhood as i have said....

hope this helps..

Snap.

that sounds way too techniqual for me, I prefer the bit below :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

thats 3 of us with affliction then :laugh: when i use the shotty i pick up the bird as it comes into the pattern with both eyes open then as i swing onto it i half close my left eye, this lines up the barrels but still gives you decent binocular vision but concentrates your vision into your right eye, judge your lead and fire. works for me anyway but it needs practice for it to come naturally.

atb

alan.

Spot on description by Snapshot its just how it is!

Had a friend who had his trigger finger chopped off.

He tried to compensate by using his middle finger! its bloody difficult try it !

Then decided to try left handed but couldnt get on cos of the 'master eye' thing

He finished up with a cross over stock! Cured all his problems but at some expense!

As a matter of interest I have been shooting my scoped air rifle on occasions lately with both eyes open !

Oh just a thought.

Dont pilots who fly with a night vision have one eye which sees thro the night vision and the other 'normal' so they can see instruments inside the cockpit? (cant be just a film thing)

So that means they 'train' their eyes to see different things surely!

And I did hear of a new helmet which allows them to see 'through' the aircraft!

Edited by masmiffy

Jelly my mate has had to shoot like this for years no due to the right eyes vision getting worse ,it took him alot of practise but he has got to the stage now where he is just as good with the left as he every was with his right eye.His only problem recently was trying to find left handed rifles.Hope you over come this.

Atb Billy

atb

alan.

Thats exactly what I do as I have the same issue. I have read some articles on the net where they reckon you can retrain your eye dominance. And, those easyhit sights are supposed to work wonders on your gun - although I havent tried them yet.

atb

alan.

Thats exactly what I do as I have the same issue. I have read some articles on the net where they reckon you can retrain your eye dominance. And, those easyhit sights are supposed to work wonders on your gun - although I havent tried them yet.

hi mate,

you can practice with you opposing eye, but your dominant eye will ALWAYS be just that, As its hardwired by extra nerves going into your dominant eye, from early on the process is complete by about the age of 10,

the helment you are refering to is the one used in the apache AH64, where a monicle has NV, and trains the minigun to where the pilot looks So what he sees is what he shoots...lol

the other eye looks after the instrument panels.... Takes a real bit of getting used to as the brain has 2 differing bits of info to process at one time...

Snap.

atb

alan.

Thanks Jack, ive not heard of those easyhit sights so ive googled it and found this http://www.easyhit.co.uk/ has anyone tried them?

Stu

Hi i have a left master eye and i shoot right handed but can also shoot left handed it can be done but you have to practis changeing your vision ie look at an object and without closeing any eye try changeing your vision to the other eye if you cant get that to work slowly move your hand just in front of the master eye so your vision changes to the other eye without blinking practis till you can change your vision easley without blocking the master eye

I think when I started shooting I did everything wrong from the start and I was getting frustrated with myself for being a poor shot with the shotgun but good with the rifle,Im right handed and for some reason I shot off my left shoulder with both rifle and shotgun it just felt better,I had been shooting for about 6 years when I discovered that I was right eye dominant so I decided to change over to my right shoulder it took a bit of practice to get used to mounting the gun on my right shoulder but eventually everything has come together,so after all that time if it was posible to actualy change dominance then I'd have thought it would have happened.... so I dont think you can change eye dominance so I have to agree with snap.