How do you choose your pups???

I just wandered how you guys choose your pups? How do you tell good feet in a 8 week old pup? and what do you look for in a pup and why?

cheers

alex

Look for drive in the pup, the pup that wants something more than the rest , it may not be the most friendly pup or the biggest, take your time watching them , never choose a pup in less than an hour,its time worth investing,,trying to pick out a pup with good feet at that age is like trying to pick the lotto numbers, the feet on the parents might give ya some idea but not always,,best of luck

An old greyhound man told me, just pick the one that no one else wants. :laugh:

sounds like good advice, its a lottery in my oppinion, its hard to judge lurchers ive had picks of the litter and theyve ended up the smallest, and my fair share of jackers :doh:. the best lurcher ive ever had was the one know body wanted and cost me zilch :thumbs:

I just wandered how you guys choose your pups? How do you tell good feet in a 8 week old pup? and what do you look for in a pup and why?

cheers

alex

There really is no exact way of telling which pup in a litter will turn out best. What I would say is that you MUST like the parents, both of them. If they are what you are looking for then there's a good chance that the pups will follow suit: obviously this doesn't apply to first crosses of Bulls and Collies etc. Lurcher to lurcher it's much easier to get a look at the finished article by checking out the parents, and grand parents if you can. This is one reason I only go lurcher to lurcher, no matter what the type of dog: be it coursing, lamping/ferreting etc.

Say you were after a Bull cross I'd only go for a line bred one where the parents are doing the job that you want to do with a dog. Ditto the Collie type, etc etc.

The feet on tiny pups don't give much away if they've been properly reared, allowed to run about on a rough surface and have had plenty of exercise: pups kept on smooth slabs, newspaper, inside with no exercise won't have such well developed feet as ones which have had the freedom of a big yard with a rough concrete surface. Pups which have been kept in a small kennel or only on straw are the same: the pup needs to run about, grip with its toes and claws, gallop on grass for you to really see what the feet are like. I've seen 8 week old pups with toes like bits of wool: hardly any bone, no arch to the toes and all splayed out where the pup has been sliding about on wet or smooth surface only.

Good feet are mostly down to the parents but good rearing/feeding/husbandry plays its part as well.

• Like 2

let em out, the 1st one that gets to you accross the garden is the 1 thats coming home....providing its the desired sex of course!

or, choose a merle bitch if possible as ive heard that if you mate it you mite get some mearl pups and you can charge loads more for them :whistling:

:no:

cheers

alex

There really is no exact way of telling which pup in a litter will turn out best. What I would say is that you MUST like the parents, both of them. If they are what you are looking for then there's a good chance that the pups will follow suit: obviously this doesn't apply to first crosses of Bulls and Collies etc. Lurcher to lurcher it's much easier to get a look at the finished article by checking out the parents, and grand parents if you can. This is one reason I only go lurcher to lurcher, no matter what the type of dog: be it coursing, lamping/ferreting etc.

Say you were after a Bull cross I'd only go for a line bred one where the parents are doing the job that you want to do with a dog. Ditto the Collie type, etc etc.

The feet on tiny pups don't give much away if they've been properly reared, allowed to run about on a rough surface and have had plenty of exercise: pups kept on smooth slabs, newspaper, inside with no exercise won't have such well developed feet as ones which have had the freedom of a big yard with a rough concrete surface. Pups which have been kept in a small kennel or only on straw are the same: the pup needs to run about, grip with its toes and claws, gallop on grass for you to really see what the feet are like. I've seen 8 week old pups with toes like bits of wool: hardly any bone, no arch to the toes and all splayed out where the pup has been sliding about on wet or smooth surface only.

Good feet are mostly down to the parents but good rearing/feeding/husbandry plays its part as well.

:thumbs: