collie lurcher breeding

I have a bitch that i bought as a collie wippet saluki grey, in reality i have a dog that stands as about 23 inches and looks something like a saluki wippet, she is very racey and fast (to fast). I was wandering if any one could give me any advice as to the sort of pups i would get if i put a collie to her, ie would the pups be fast enough on rabbits? also what sort of collies effect the breeding in what way? i want something in the end that has strong feet and can run on rough ground with as much between the the ears as poss.

cheers

alex

come on there must be some people out there who can help me, this forum has some of the best collie x info out there.

Any pics of the sort of collies that others have used along with how the pups turned out would be interestin.

my concirn using a fist cross is i dont want to risk getting somthing out that is to racey and whos feet arent up to it, what about a reverse 3/4 bread?

i have read on here quite a few times of folk using a collie over a racey lurcher and it prducing good results? there must be some more collie folk out there with some experiance,

cheers

Alex

if your dog has saluki in it then feet should be fine if you are not wanting or needing that much pace then use a reverse 3/4 collie grey. i had a 3/4 grey beardie x 1stx borderxgrey and ahe was dinamite on mountain blue hares back in the day and bunnies had no chance seen her catch in mid air across a ditch. in her prime she had a few bambis as well (im talkings early 2000)and by the way how can the dog be too fast.?

id use my dog across her mate his feet are perfect you could run this dog on concrete with no probs of injury inbetween his toes is just pure hair he is saluki/grey collie grey and you can use him for a pup back if i like the look of your bitch :thumbs:

I like the look of that dog very much :yes:

Might it not be a better idea to buy a collie blooded lurcher pup of the percentage you want rather than breed a full litter from a lurcher bitch that at the end of the day your unsure of its breeding.

Might it not be a better idea to buy a collie blooded lurcher pup of the percentage you want rather than breed a full litter from a lurcher bitch that at the end of the day your unsure of its breeding.

100%, if your not happy with her , why breed from her,,You'll pick up a pup handy now and you dont have to wait for the bitch to come, after you've found the right dog, talking f*****g years before a pup from your bitch will work properly,,pick a pup now and it might be doing a bit at the end of this winter,,

alot of them can be wastage mate stick to adog that runs and pick the ones with strong feet bred dogs for years no pace no game at times

i would definitly go with collie lurcher.if you use a halfx or 1st x they should have good feet and a decent thick coat.lurcher to lurcher is always a good way to go.i wouldnt be too concerend about getting somthing too racey as you will have at least quater collie + the saluki and collie from the dams side.should have good feet and breains to burn (in theory) but its all ifs and buts.all you can do is find the best possible stud thats doing the job you require and you shouldnt go far wrong.