nightime longnetting

mapreader

I stand corrected, quickset's can be negotiated on the fences.

Impressive post mapreader, and like P&G said, it is the best post on hunting life about nighttime netting, in fact its the best post about netting in all the forums :good:

DSCF0014Small.jpg

As you can see on this picture (one of yours Mr. Mapreader) the top line has sagged quite a bit with the rabbit, i have never found this on a traditional set net.

Fair play to you for knitting 400yards of longnet. Only problem is with the time and effort spent knitting them, you certainly don't want to leave them behind :ph34r: should you have to.

well done, a very good post and some quality longnetting by the looks of things :good:

Thanks for comments Rabbithunter, I,ve used both methods and my experience is that a rabbit hitting midway on any net will to some extent pull the top line down. Thanks again. Regards mapreader

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought some of you may be interested to see some night-time longnetting pics. you will have to bear with me as I can,t seem to put up more than three pics at a time, I,ve quite a few to upload and th

YAHOOO it worked Not sure if I mentioned that the first set of pic were from Sunday the 12th, this set are from Tuesday the 14th.   Same area and with 300 yards again. Again I,m working a wester

Ted It was called if I remember correctly. Cheers, D.

Posted Images

As you can see on this picture (one of yours Mr. Mapreader) the top line has sagged quite a bit with the rabbit, i have never found this on a traditional set net.

i,m interested to know exactly how you would stop this happening on a traditional net , rabbithunter?

good pictures mapreader and an interesting point about trying fibre glass poles and reverting back to hazel, i used to use hazel , fixed poles when i first saw gsw,s video , then got a few magnum poles to try , but didn,t like the thickness, i now use 9mm fibre glass poles for all my nets , strong but not to bulky, they are 36" long and don,t let the net sag too far down , even when there are a couple of rabbits very close together as often happens when night netting, for daytime ferreting i was using 30"poles , as most rabbits are taken out of the net straight away and there isn,t such a likelihood of two rabbits hitting the net close together, i now use trammels for all my daytime netting on 36"poles , exept when ferreting hedges where i use a few 5yd hemp nets on fixed poles set at a 90 degree angle to the hedge, it saves a lot of time taking rubbish out of the net like i would with a nylon net

HI CHALKWARREN, good piccies yourself.... Antique photos...you don,t look a day over forty in them :D :11: . Yeah I know what you mean about working on your own, my eldest finds longnetting boring..he,d rather shoot with his airgun...my middle one,s still at either college or work ( he,s doin keeping

and stalking...don,t know where I went wrong :11: ) and my youngest wants too much of a cut, when we had the last night out together he tried to broker a deal to me where he was in for "at least half Dad :icon_eek::hmm::angry: .Cheek or what!

Hi Moley, I,m always looking for alternatives on the stick front..the requirements that need to be met for me are quietness in the basket, as you know they will move slightly, how ever hard I try,in the basket when you,ve got to really work em in ( I can feel the stomach bruise as I speak LOL). And also lightness, plus hazel,s free as.

Couldn,t agree more about the 5 yard hempers for hedge work, exactly how we do it and often join two together, then if we need to use the 4z longnet we then join onto the hemps by which time it should be being set on cleanish ground.

Just going back to rh,s comment about sagging nets could be something to do with the different heights each net works at, taller net pulled down will look more exagerrated than a net set lower...perhaps something to do with differentials...who knows...in fact who cares..if it works for you do it eh. I would in closing refer him to any of the Mansbridge videos and view his traditional hemp nets in use.

Thanks again for kind words and comments.

Regards Mapreader.

Thanks

Just going back to rh,s comment about sagging nets could be something to do with the different heights each net works at,

it very well could be, quicksets i have used where on 1 meter poles (far to big if you ask me)

briliant thread mapreader and good pics

keep them coming mate :victory:

A.K.A. RABBITHUNTER..... :11:

:blink: have i missed something :11:

Serriously though,, if you set your pegs at more than 5yrd intervals the top line will deffenetly SAG more , on more than one occasion ive had parts of my nets flat to the ground with the number of rabbits meshed in the nets...... nice pegging ground to.... the useuall discussion after the drop( how many did we miss) f**k if the rabbiting game was PISH EASY ther would be none left....quick set...tradditional set :angry: personaly who gives a f..k ther is no method better than the other!! its what methode suites the indeviduale NETTER ..

Guest Studentsnaresman

Sir,

I had the honour to be some shown traditional longnetting methods today by Chalkwarren. He only used a small net, so not to complicate or confuse me.

As a complete beginner to longnetting. I would like to say with his lesson this morning and reading your comments tonight how it all falls in to place, the ability to run a long net quickly and effortlessly. Im struggling on a flat field at the moment in daylight, so I fully apprieciate the skill you have showed in laying your nets.

How long did it take you guys to lay the whole net?

After a bit of a down dressing, I have spent the rest of the evening preparing my kit for our next session, and I hope one day to be of a simliar standard to yourself.

Please keep the info coming, you couldnt put a price on it.

Pictures paint a thousend words.

Good hunting

Nik

Serriously though,, if you set your pegs at more than 5yrd intervals the top line will deffenetly SAG more , on more than one occasion ive had parts of my nets flat to the ground with the number of rabbits meshed in the nets...... nice pegging ground to.... the useuall discussion after the drop( how many did we miss) f**k if the rabbiting game was PISH EASY ther would be none left....quick set...tradditional set :angry: personaly who gives a f..k ther is no method better than the other!! its what methode suites the indeviduale NETTER ..

:clapper: NETRIGGER ...... GOOD POST !

WELL I HAVE ENJOYED THIS THREAD AND MAPREADERS EXCELLENT PHOTOS :yes: .......... YEP A BROKEN LINES A BITCH :angry: , BUT WHEN WORKING ALONE HAPPENS TOO REGULARY , PERSONALLY I USED TAPE TO MEND , USUALLY BECAUSE I WAS WORKING TRADITIONALS MOSTLY ON A NIGHT ......... AND WITHOUT PERMISSION :icon_redface: .......... THE CONSTANT NEXT DAY REPAIRS WERE A PAIN BUT " HELL " ALL PART OF BEING A NETMAN :D

I KINDA LOST MY WAY IN THE RABBITTING GAME FOR A WHILE , AND RARELY USED THE LONGNETS FOR A FEW YRS , HOWEVER THE ADVENT OF LAMPERMANS EXTENSIVE PERMISSION ON SOME QUALITY RABBIT GROUNDS WITH HUGE SETS HAS PULLED THE WEBS BACK INTO SERVICE , NOW ....... IAM GETTING THE FEVER BACK AND STARTING WALKING ALONE IN THE DARK AGAIN .......... YEP YOU FELLAS AINT HELPING :D

AS FOR TOP LINES SAGGING ? ................ WELL THEY ALL WILL WHEN FULL OF CONEYS :D

ALL THE BEST DUCKWING ;)

:clapper:

:clapper: NETRIGGER ...... GOOD POST !

WELL I HAVE ENJOYED THIS THREAD AND MAPREADERS EXCELLENT PHOTOS :yes: .......... YEP A BROKEN LINES A BITCH :angry: , BUT WHEN WORKING ALONE HAPPENS TOO REGULARY , PERSONALLY I USED TAPE TO MEND , USUALLY BECAUSE I WAS WORKING TRADITIONALS MOSTLY ON A NIGHT ......... AND WITHOUT PERMISSION :icon_redface: .......... THE CONSTANT NEXT DAY REPAIRS WERE A PAIN BUT " HELL " ALL PART OF BEING A NETMAN :D

I KINDA LOST MY WAY IN THE RABBITTING GAME FOR A WHILE , AND RARELY USED THE LONGNETS FOR A FEW YRS , HOWEVER THE ADVENT OF LAMPERMANS EXTENSIVE PERMISSION ON SOME QUALITY RABBIT GROUNDS WITH HUGE SETS HAS PULLED THE WEBS BACK INTO SERVICE , NOW ....... IAM GETTING THE FEVER BACK AND STARTING WALKING ALONE IN THE DARK AGAIN .......... YEP YOU FELLAS AINT HELPING :D

AS FOR TOP LINES SAGGING ? ................ WELL THEY ALL WILL WHEN FULL OF CONEYS :D

ALL THE BEST DUCKWING ;)

:11: :11: :drink::drink: think av got the Bug again (a cannay sleep, thinking about the next set) :drink: :11:

Interesting post their, it just goes to show that we all have something to learn, "The Blinkered One", perhaps you could explain to a simpleton like myself how the top line doesnt sag on your traditional but it will on a fixed pole method, one using the same hazel sticks as the traditional and infact the same net :11: only stored in a basket.

Out tomorrow to finish two traditional nets in time for a trip down memory lane next week, hazel to be cut, crooks to find..........anybody know of a big green jacket :11: only joking.

Interesting post their, it just goes to show that we all have something to learn, "The Blinkered One", perhaps you could explain to a simpleton like myself how the top line doesnt sag on your traditional but it will on a fixed pole method, one using the same hazel sticks as the traditional and infact the same net :11: only stored in a basket.

Out tomorrow to finish two traditional nets in time for a trip down memory lane next week, hazel to be cut, crooks to find..........anybody know of a big green jacket :11: only joking.

Simon,..you know that auld methsdrinker that keeps on pissing in my back garden,...well, the dogs have cornered him and I've taken his old Army Great Coat ,..After the missus sews me a 'poachers' pocket' inside ,..I'll be fully kitted out,...then you watch me go boy ,.oooh arhhh :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:clapper: Doubt if the missus would take a needle & thread to that coat... feck it could walk to the bin unaided :11: