nightime longnetting

mapreader

Thought some of you may be interested to see some night-time longnetting pics. you will have to bear with me as I can,t seem to put up more than three pics at a time, I,ve quite a few to upload and the only way I can see to accomplish the task is to start a new topic, put up three pics and then reply to myself with the rest...don,t know if it will work but here goes.

Just a bit of background information about this set. I,ve had to usea westerly wind which is not ideal as anything from south round to west comes over a range of hills and swings and veers like hell , It,s not an honest wind at all and will push out into the field at times the stronger the wind the more it swings. I usually use 200 yards of net here but this time I brought 300 as I was hoping to show a good haul...still here,s what happened....

Not what you want when you,re longnetting....squatters

DSCF0010Small.jpg

DSCF0014Small.jpg

DSCF0020Small.jpg

DSCF0025Small-1.jpg

DSCF0026Small.jpg

DSCF0027Small-1.jpg

DSCF0030Small.jpg

The final tally for two drops was 26 rabbits, a 300 and then a 200 yard drop. On this set last season I run 200 yards with my 12 year old son and we accounted for 46 rabbits. Well down this season.

DSCF0034Small.jpg

Just wanted to show this next pic as an example of how to negotiate square mesh fences. Several ways, easiest way is to angle the net to the fence until the peg is tight to it, "rope" the net so there is not much slack mesh, place between barbs, get over, and then feed the rest of the mesh onto the ground until the next stick is reached and then place that peg tight to fence and, if possible, set top of peg under wire mesh to maintain full taughtness. It,s not difficult, and if I may pre-empt comments about barbed wire and netting, as long as you rope the net I don,t have any problems, this one was done in a strong wind. Alternatively, it,s not hard to take a couple of extra sticks. So....it,s not through but over. Rocket science it ain,t!

DSCF0036Small.jpg

Going to attempt to upload this portion....more to come!!!

• Like 4

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought some of you may be interested to see some night-time longnetting pics. you will have to bear with me as I can,t seem to put up more than three pics at a time, I,ve quite a few to upload and th

YAHOOO it worked Not sure if I mentioned that the first set of pic were from Sunday the 12th, this set are from Tuesday the 14th.   Same area and with 300 yards again. Again I,m working a wester

Ted It was called if I remember correctly. Cheers, D.

Posted Images

YAHOOO it worked :D:clapper: Not sure if I mentioned that the first set of pic were from Sunday the 12th, this set are from Tuesday the 14th.

Same area and with 300 yards again. Again I,m working a westerly but as I,m at the opposite end to Sunday, the wind works better for me here.

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0009Small.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0011Small.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0016Small.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0024Small.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0025Small.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0031Small.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0033Small.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

I like this next pic, look at which way the mesh is blowing, going from cover out into the field, what I would call a back wind.

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0048Small.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

Total of 35 rabbits from two drops again.

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0050Small.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

Ready to load up.

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0054Small.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

Well that,s it , forgot to mention also that in the first pic of the 26 rabbits I only showed two nets, I,d put the other by the road some way back ready for the pick up....couldn,t be agged to walk all the way back just for a photo!

Edited by mapreader
  • Like 1
Good on you, cracking photos, did the broken line happen on the last drop (bloody pain) ?

Teejay, Netrigger, John b, local yokel, simonw, Ian ,Salclalin... many thanks for taking the time to respond to the photos....that took almost as much time to figure out how to upload pics as it did to catch them :icon_redface: Twice I screwed up and lost everything :angry:

Good spot netrigger ( I suspected you,d be one of the first to notice that if you popped in!). That was the first drop of the night,and further along I had it bitten through again :censored: . It,s not at all difficult to affect a temporary repair to bottom lines contrary to other advice I,ve read. This particular night I just made sure that I had enough slack mesh either side of join and used a piece of thin line that I usually use to tie rabbits on, I then tie a reef knot. The mesh won,t run across it but that,s not a problem as I,ve already addressed that. I bodged it that night as I only planned one other set... to affect a better temporary repair is also sooo simple. Using the same thin cord tie a reef knot but on the second part of the knot and start to pull tight but let the thin cord "whip" to the bottom line, take something pointy... tip of a knife or even a thorn from the hedge, tease out about a cm of the bottom line so it,s all frayed... Get some of the real thin, cheapy but sticky insulating tape and tape around the repair starting where the tag end of the thin cord is (also frayed out)... tape up repair as tight as possible and as you come to frayed piece of bottom line feather it out and tape over.... what you should end up with is a repair that is quick to do and the net will run across it. I know you don,t use this method Netrigger, just thought I,d give that for those that do.

Couple more piccies , one of the bodge repair and other damage that same rabbit did.

DSCF0041Small.jpg

Looks like I got me a trammel now!!!

DSCF0040Small.jpg

Best thread ive even seen on long netting on THL,excellent :yes: Like the look of that black net,is spun nylon mate.If you dont dye your foot line rabbits will bite through it regularly especially if theres not enough people to kill the rabbits quickly and they are sat in the net a while.

Anyway brill thread and well done ;)

PS,when i get a foot line bitten through i simply tie the two ends back together with a figure of eight not then sort it out the next day ;)

nice catch mate but rabbits will chew the net and the lines if they are left for a short while this happens mostly when your setting on your own just one of the joys of being a loner :) very good catch as well some nice pics there i see your still using the hazel pegs more recently i have moved to the fibre glass poles but had many a good night with the hazel ones all the best on your nex foray GOOD HUNTING ALL WOODGA :ph34r:

Edited by woodga
Best thread ive even seen on long netting on THL,excellent :yes: Like the look of that black net,is spun nylon mate.If you dont dye your foot line rabbits will bite through it regularly especially if theres not enough people to kill the rabbits quickly and they are sat in the net a while.

Anyway brill thread and well done ;)

PS,when i get a foot line bitten through i simply tie the two ends back together with a figure of eight not then sort it out the next day ;)

Praise indeed, which I more than appreciate Pegandgun, thank you. Good tip on dying the bottom line a dark colour, something I must do, what,s put me off is not only the re-rigging but also when using hot water dyes some of these nylon lines have a considerable amount of shrinkage and until I get a new skein it will have to wait...when I do you will be the first to know :11: . About the black net, there are two out on those sets ( it can be confusing but I,ve also got maroon and green on one net....long story!). One is a doubled up thin twine which I bought as a one off batch of twine which is, I think, the net showing all its mesh by the stick. The other is bog standard 4z which I had as white twine (white twine was cheaper than coloured.. by the time I,d dyed the thing I saved about eight quid overall :icon_redface: ..won,t be doing that again!). Here,s the laugh, I knitted 200 yards (four of my five hundred yards are hand made by me....memo to self.. must get some friends :11: )at four and a quarter inch mesh...dyed it black...it then proceeded to shrink to under four inches :cry::angry: . The length was reduced by almost forty yards I think it was, the running lines shrank by twenty yards each!!!

Here,s a pic of the remade "missing" length...put in the same black dye....cold!

DSCF0008Small.jpg

The black line ended up on a trad 50yard hemper.

Hi Woodga, I did the reverse of you, tried the golf type pegs, really solid but heavy and noisey, then tried those thin sheep netting sticks, had a couple break but used to bend when strained, so I went back to hazel, about the quietist I,ve found... they have there drawbacks ( one broke on me that second night the ground was like rock in places and I didn,t have my dibber). Also the cost of those pegs can be high...to rig 500 yards with them would be too dear...and I wouldn,t want to leave them :whistle: . Also I do work the majority of the time single-handed and can easily spend a couple of hours mending bitten nets the next day.

Once again thanks for tips and comments.

Regards Mapreader.

I stand corrected, quickset's can be negotiated on the fences.

Impressive post mapreader, and like P&G said, it is the best post on hunting life about nighttime netting, in fact its the best post about netting in all the forums :good:

DSCF0014Small.jpg

As you can see on this picture (one of yours Mr. Mapreader) the top line has sagged quite a bit with the rabbit, i have never found this on a traditional set net.

Fair play to you for knitting 400yards of longnet. Only problem is with the time and effort spent knitting them, you certainly don't want to leave them behind :ph34r: should you have to.

well done, a very good post and some quality longnetting by the looks of things :good:

Edited by Rabbithunter