Starter Shotgun

After a bit of advice, new to shooting (been beating and on beaters day for years), finally got round to getting my SGC. My next step is to get a gun. I guess its going to be used on clays to begin with (need to get my eye in etc etc.) In the long term it will be a couple of pigeon days, a couple of driven days, a few walk round and 8-9 days on clay. I have been looking at the Betinsolli range at around £600 -£700. would one of these be suitable ? I have a budget of £800.00. Am i right in thinking that they are all straight and all go bang, so in theory they do the same job ?

Thanks,

Dan

Get one that fits well and feels comfortable. For that money you can get a second hand Miroku/Browning. Beretta if you look hard. Would be a better buy but it all depends on how it fits you.

I've not had mine long but I knew when I picked it up that I would be buying it. Try a few (fire them if possible) and one will stand out.

Hello Bellyslater, as Topdown has said, getting one that fits is the most important thing, and no they are certainly not all straight.You could have a few guns through your hands before you find 1 you shoot well with so if you can, try a few first before you buy. Cheers :thumbs:

Maybe worth doing a search on here, as this is quite a common question and there have been a lot of good replies in the past.

From the sounds of it, you ideally need a gun which can do everything. So, the popular choices these days wouldbe something like a 12bore o/u. You could go with a semi auto instead, they are great for clays and pigeons, but some driven days & walk ups dont like them.

With regards to an o/u, you dont need to spend silly money. Firstly id go to a few local shops and see what they have, see how the guns fit. Some guns seem to fit better than others. Get an idea as to what you like the look off. Dont feel forced to buy the first you see. Look online at the various gunsites, get people opinions before you part with your hard earned cash.

When I was looking for a 12bore o/u, i walked into a gunshop with £1000 in my pocket looking to buy a beretta silver pigeon or similar. I walked out with a lanber o/u sporter in the end. Worth around 350->450 but just fitted me perfectly and I was impressed with the build quality. Saved myself money which I could go towards another gun - in your case, maybe a cheap semi for clays / pigeon?

For my twopence, I would agree with the above, buy whatever fits best.

Having said that I would caveat it by saying that personally I would go for quality second hand as opposed to cheap new.

If you are planning on going clay bashing I would suggest going to a ground for a few rounds with one of the school guns and seeing if you get on with any of them.

The other thing I would say and this might stir up some cross replies... Whatever people tell you look at the guns used at a clay ground for teaching they get used every day and fire hundreds of thousands of cartridges, every ground I have ever been to use only brownings and berretas.

But first and foremost buy what fits!

ATB

Jonno