Puppy show . . . . Our Old English crackers!

Out of interest what job is he doing in his 10th season? Because if he's still hunting with the pack, then it don't say much for the speed of the rest.

That's a very naive statement , I have been in hunt service for nearly 20 seasons and in general most 10th season hounds would be on the slower side, but having said that I've known 2 or 3 that have ran up with the rest well into their 9th and 10th seasons, just because a hound is older does not mean he's a detriment to the pack, on the contrary, poor scenting days when younger hounds go flashing past the line it's the older ones that keep the hounds on terms, I'm quite sure the huntsman would not still have this hound hanging around if he wasn't of some benefit to the pack .

JMHO

• Like 1

Out of interest what job is he doing in his 10th season? Because if he's still hunting with the pack, then it don't say much for the speed of the rest.

Don't know if it makes a blind bit of difference but the terrain is very different to your neck of the woods mate or say Wales, even to Gloustershire or the midlands.......no stone walls, smaller fields, high trees in the hedge rows.....I can't imagine that you would get as long a point and a hard ride like you would further up country.

Then again, what the f**k do I know.....I have only ever been out with fell hounds or on a quad !! Lol lol

What I do know is, the country is definitely not as open.

Cheers

A slow or slower hound is detrimental to a pack that can hunt at pace, wether or not it's the deepest scenting hound to walk this earth makes not difference. A dog of 11 years can't keep up with other hounds on any type of ground that are say 3rd 4th 5th season. Not even the pack your brother left season before last hunts them nearlly that old and that's saying something, as they are one of the slowest packs in the land, lol And if it's kept to as u say to keep the pack right on a check then in my opinion the rest can't be worth much neither.

It would be interesting to see how many folk went hunting with 10th season hounds or even had 10th season hounds in kennels.?.

Ive been out with this pack , and I can assure you the hounds work well

On paper , no a 10th season hound may not be the huntsmans first choice , but in reality if the hound can still do the job , whats the issue ?

ive hunted with alot of packs , but the fitness and condition of these hounds takes some beating

and given the ground they cover it isnt always about pace

On paper your right a tenth season hound shouldn't be still doing the job and to a degree that warrants his food bill . . . . however a professional huntsman that knows his hounds as well as this one does, would not keep him if he was not up to his job. As has been rightly pointed out, an experienced hound will lead the young guns and teach them to not always rely on exuberance and pace to find a line. A pack of hounds is a working being, a well put together pack will hold hounds that cover all manner of skills to get the job done in the most effective way possible, young, old, fast, slow, athletic, hard, and thorough hounds are all needed and all serve their purpose in a days effective hunting.

Having followed this pack for 10 years i can assure you there is not one hound in that pristine kennel that is not up to its job, perhaps its about being a professional huntsman and knowing more about your hounds, country and job at hand, than the avid follower, interested in speed and numbers. . . . . . . . :victory:

• Like 1