THE MEN FROM THE U.S OF A

Guest DogFaceKillah

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From horse back the true way of hunting a Stag.[Old Pic} Young pup All grown up Old pic Not as tough as he started RIP Off Game lol General Custer just before he got stretched Hun

we don't hit the coyotes like Dan, Doc, Caps etc do, coon are our specialty although they'll run anything       the new and the experienced     Bull/Stag Loca learning the ropes from her

more

Posted Images

DFK forgot to add the guys that come to ours to hunt do not sleep much thats for sure, because there is stuff to run day and night, and often driving for hours and hours to get to different areas or to meet up with certain people. I am not lying when I say it could be digging in our barn or running stuff 5 minutes up the road or 20 hours on a long long long straight highway each way sometimes. One time Kye and I drove 30 hours each way for some groundhog hunting ... now that was crazy. And about single handed staghounds- Big Gay Dan's yellow dog Stitch is one, the dogs behind all of our stags are, I am sure Doc and them have some, but they are not as common as some would lead people to believe.

AKS I've heard about a few borozoi but not many, up on the high prairies would likely be ideal for a working one I would guess, big big open spaces needed I'm sure. An alaunt is like a heavy bull so I can't imagine why not, probably for pigs though?

Every part of the country is different so what works for us in our area might not work for others in their area, so I can only talk about with the desert running where we moved from, or our part of the midwest which is mostly large fields, spots of heavy cover, gravel roads and barbed wire fences.

turnout: I don't know what a bull/grey could do better than a staghound could, and the feet would be weak. Some guys dismiss feet as being important but for the amount of running our dogs do, and the few dogs that we have (6 running dogs between me and Kye and 2 of those are green) we can't have them constantly laid up. Most of the coyote guys have more dogs than we so they have the luxury if a few get laid up, but we don't, and we wont run an injured dog. Kye has one stag that is 1/4 bull and she has decent feet, but then the bull behind her had good feet so that helps a lot. Or prove me wrong ... put up some pics of bullX's with "good" feet please! I'd love to see them! :thumbs:

also to turnout: Kye refused to wear gloves until it was 30 below and he couldn't feel his hands (or any other body part) when coonhunting in Iowa ... they are needed also for gripping the coon that the dogs need help with ... you are welcome to come over and go out with them without gloves if you'd like? :whistling: edited to add I went and looked at the pic you were talking about, they were lamping and windows up when it's 7 below, add a moving vehicle and it was about -20 ... consider the coon were all frozen stiff from that same night ... COLD

ratkilla ... how many months left now?

TRUE SINGLE HANDED COYOTE DOGS

Alot of Stags can kill a coyote BUT cant catch most or any good coyotes

Alot of Stags can catch a coyote But cant kill them.

A SHCD Can Course a good coyote, catch it and kill it period.

Good coyote= with a good law dump/slip, not trucked to death, push by other dog into a stag ect. Young , pregnant feamale no need to apply. Strong winter coyote is a good coyote.

Kill= Dead. Not pinned. Not on the way out,blinking just dead. No walk up and help the Stag out ect. All Stag from A-Z.

Problem is not many are willing to drop one single handed as a coyote is a tough customer. Some find out on split races. Truth be known 2 good dogs are enough, 3 if you want a pup along. Any more than that on a slip/dump why feed them. This is difficult if you hunt with others BTW.

Cliff notes: A true single handed dog is very very hard to find/get,maintain so he stays at that level. They are very rare here in the states honestly.

Dan it was only the last few pics that i have really noticed and appreciated the size of your dogs what height do they stand and what pre season conditioning such as road walking etc do you guys do

Stitch is 28.5 inches and 95 pound in shape. John is 29 inches and 93 pounds in shape. Cotton is 28 inches and 76 pounds in shape and Blue is 29 inches and weighs right under 80 pounds.

heyya Ben Noose is doing well despite the multitude of injuries he keeps incurring ... in the past 2 weeks he has gotten road rash from his hip to his hock, gash in his foot, roadrash again same leg but on his hipbone along his back ... one thing after another! He is just too fast for his own good, he needs to learn to control his body though. It has been in the mid 90's for the past week and last night it was 87 at 10:00 pm ... no way are we taking dogs out in that! On Sunday Kye and I were walking the running dogs up the lane and Noose bushed up a rabbit, he flipped upside down twice along the road which is how he got the roadrash on his hipbone and back ... he was SO pissed when big old Blister caught the rabbit

here's a recent pic of him and my other salX Tia, will get some working ones up soon

May2010056.jpg

We don't have a jump box so the dogs have learned to make do on the flatbed ... works quite well, dogs have to be obedient and as long as someone good is behind the wheel, he's here with Feather

cropMay2010049.jpg

and here he is cooling off with Jugs, Feather and old Demon

DSCN1525.jpg

stuntman do you know the approximate years those old pics are from? VERY COOL PICS!

Tiff I dont Know for sure but the Dump box pic I think I was off 10 years. That truck looks to be 1950 era.

I think the horse one are older and of coarse Custer is from 1800's.

exellent pics lads all the dogs look stunning, us english can only imagine what fun you guys have over there, the dogs must be tough sorts the ground looks rough as hell plus the heat and looks like 99% of the quarry bites back, i didnt see any deer in them pics so im guessing you guys cant run them over ther which is a shame

sam