• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well Im Welsh and agree, the camping was a shambles. I was there with kids and had to put up with the roid heads getting smashed listening to rave all night and shouting/swearing. Before anyone says

hey woods hes been on here for 2 mins and he moaning allready like i said mate if you dont like the noise dont go simple as

Posted Images

Same old thing every year I think I could walk round there blindfold now stalls in same place every time , good idea with camping to have two sections one for families and one for the party boys anyway heres some pics of the lurchers and whippets ,sorry I didnt take pics of every class .

post-8851-069119200 1277075017_thumb.jpg

post-8851-070609400 1277075044_thumb.jpg

post-8851-047129700 1277075071_thumb.jpg

post-8851-048824700 1277075110_thumb.jpg

post-8851-065413700 1277075124_thumb.jpg

post-8851-076758700 1277075160_thumb.jpg

post-8851-068478300 1277075173_thumb.jpg

post-8851-081067900 1277075198_thumb.jpg

post-8851-052956700 1277075276_thumb.jpg

I went saturday with some lads from swansea and none of us were impressed with the show,its never been that big but it has got smaller and smaller for the last 3yrs,poorly organised with the same main arena rubbish again,if the organiser's don't buck up soon they will soon lose the support they enjoy from us paying public,roll on the CLA or the midland a proper day or two out,atb,wirralman

It's funny how things can be seen differently, I always enjoyed the Midland, but thought it shite 2 years ago when they moved the working dogs out to the the other side of the county, and it was very poorly attended by working dog lads last year.

As for the Welsh, I've enjoyed the 2 days again this year, shame the Hotel (60 f*****g quid for 1 night, and it was really skanky, The Boars Head in carmarthern is deffo to be avoided!!!) was sooooooooooooooo shit.

Met loads of lads off here, thanks to all those who bought gear off me. :thumbs:

Huge thanks to MD and SD too, a more genuine couple you couldn't meet, proper good folk!

As for the knobs running around pissed, I saw them too, had words with a few too :angel:

Splitting the site is a good idea, but then the organisers surely have a duty of care to "Police" their site to prevent disorder in the first place, if they can't provide a safe environment then the camping should be free!

The dog dealers were out in force too despite the NO DOG DEALING signs.

Not long got home, I'd say that once again it was worth the 5 hour drive, not because I made a few quid, but for the day out and to meet up with mostly genuine decent people.

well i personally like the welsh G/F i never done no good with the dogs but i had a good time made a few quid had a laugh and met up with a few lads i havent seen since last year i will admit i didnt think there was as much as last year but i had a good day and thats all that matters

The welsh game fair is what it is, true that not much changes from year to year (except the admission price, which has increased steadily). But its still a decent day out and I will continue to go. Some great dogs on show this year, but the judging seemed very rushed imo.

Yes, the food and drink prices are stupidly high, but we take our own food which keeps the costs down. Many thanks to the kind chap who gave us a free ticket too.

some pics

post-37748-052189800 1277106793_thumb.jpg

post-37748-025068000 1277106768_thumb.jpg

post-37748-018657000 1277106736_thumb.jpg

post-37748-097147600 1277106708_thumb.jpg

post-37748-004529700 1277106685_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macsen

i think macsen was being very polite by saying the judging was rushed .could have said more .enjoyed the day with the family but ime welsh and the pissheads do spoil the day if youre there with the family for a day out separate sites for the pissheads and families is a great idea imo.great to see sammy vaughn enjoying the day still bright as a button if a bit slower getting around . he to was polite in sayoing the lurcher judging was a bit riushed .

strong stuff I totally agree with what your saying on the poor lurcher and terrier show at the midland,considering its supposed to be the final of the CW trophy,my son and I found it very out the way from the main show, but as an event for the whole family it has something for everyone,I always get the gear I go for at competitive prices,if you can't find what your looking for at the larger shows then it does'nt exist,I also think that maybe the lurcher and terrier ring was put out of the way deliberately because of the drunken rowdy element it always attracts,atb,wirralman

the crack was good and the beer was flowing.Il agree with some lads though about the noise especially with the youg familys there.I got some laugh looking at the pigeon chested tatooed lads that thought they were like arnie :clapper: .Over all i thought the show great and il def be going back next year but il bring the kids and missus with me this time

have done the welsh for years and used to camp a lot but as time went on certain idiots spoiled the camping for quite a lot of people so wont camp anymore . always take my own food now as like every other big event they know u are a captive ordience and can charge what they like so play clever take your own also i didnt see any drunken idiots spoiling it on the show grounds yesterday apart from a few who couldnt control their dogs and were trying to seperate a few bull crosses fighting :laugh: but other than that it was a nice warm day didnt exspect to get anything showing as judged had their preference and stuck to it by looks, but thats shows hey will most prob go do it all again next year god being willing :clapper: ha ha oh and thanks ade for the pics :thumbs::toast:

stalls in same place every time ... good idea with camping to have two sections

I ran shows and other events for 17 years, and it is NOT POSSIBLE to make everyone happy. SO many things that you can control, but others (like weather and the actions of other people) that you can't. There is something to be said for consistency ... everything in the same place year to year - as long as it works for the majority - is often the best way to go. Why reinvent the wheel? Then you can focus your attention on tackleing the real problems, such as the camping and the high costs. But also not being blind to new suggestions, maybe moving things around for a few years to ascertain how the majority liked it would be a good idea? But it might confuse people and the they won't come back then either. So whaddyado?

The main thing I learned over the years is you HAVE to have a sponsor (or several sponsors) to underwrite your bottom line. It is just not possible to run an event of that size and expect the exhibitors and spectators to pay through the nose for the pleasure, or you will bankrupt yourself like I almost did. And the promoter has to be honest, and not just out to make a killing off the back of the stallsmen and exhibitors.

Most people have no idea the headache that goes into this type of event. You don't just order a few rosettes and show up the day before to set up. There is a LOT to deal with months in advance, even longer if you are out to make it a great event. The costs for these events is high too ... yes the rosettes and trophies cost money (which are often sponsored by small companies or private parties), but then there is the site, insurance, security, portajohns, judges and workers fees, cost to put up and feed the officials and workers, rental or buying of tables, chairs, PA system, tents, the list goes on. Ice. Do you know how much ICE you can go through in a weekend when it is hot and you are having to keep cool drinks cool for your hard working volunteers and paid folks? The stalls need to pay something, but not so much that it is cost prohibitive to them. I've found a flat fee versus a percentage fee brings its own problems because the "little guys" simply should not have to pay what the "big'uns" do, but then you are at the mercy of the stallsman to be honest about his percentage. See the problem? Each bit brings a problem, and all 3 of your possible solutions bring yet more problems. Can you imagine the multitude of problems? :icon_eek:

By far the biggest complaint I have heard year after year about these big shows is the camping, and it baffles me why no one has ever split camping as I've suggested? If you can request a hotel room on a "quiet floor" (in the bigger hotels anyway), why not a campsite? At campgrounds here at the state parks they force a "quiet time" from 10pm to 7am. That would be another option too. But those lads are paying customers too, so their money is just as green (or multicolored like your money is :) )as yours.

That all being said, anyone who ever complains about running a show should volunteer to work for a few hours, and then you'll see how much work can go into them. Which is why I feel free to be critical (or congratulatory) of events, I have walked in ALL their shoes for a long time :tongue2:

Tiff, I agree with you on most points you made.

Stallholders go to the BIG shows and are charged at a rip off price which I think is why so many vendors are selling on the web, even to run a small show like I do I have to pay for insurance for the day and rosettes I charge a small fee for entry just to break even for running the show

but as pointed out Whithout The Terrier And Lurchers what would happen at these gamefairs? Not a lot to watch not many stalls to buy from

They are ripping people off with the prices they are charging and making a PACKET.

I'm sure this has a knock on affect to us smaller shows, if we are treated like the under dogs at big show what's the point in all the months spent prepairing your dog for the ring.

I think it's about time with the economy as it is that the gamefairs should condsider a different approach to there MAIN ATTRACTION