what calibre next?

Matt how many years loading experiance have you got ? How long have you been shooting centre fire rifles ?

Just wondered as you don't seam to know much about chronographs.

Check you posts if you are struggling to see where this is going :icon_redface:

I have helped several loaders over the years, though I've not done any for myself. I've been shooting rifles for 17 years, and cf in differing calibres for almost as long. Most of my early experience was paper punching, long range 7.62 stuff as well as 5.56, all with military ammunition and weapons.

I have used plenty of chrono'sm but I've never had to actually buy one for myself, hence I have no idea where to get one, or what they cost in different specs. Your assumption that I "don't know much about them" is wrong. There's a difference between knowing how to use one, and knowing where to buy one and how much it'll cost. If you would like to make any suggestions in that area, feel free. I'm not too proud to admit that I need advice sometimes, and not too bothered if people don't follow mine when I offer it. It seems that you are the only one who knows anything about anything coldweld, so I bow to your superiour knowledge and experience.

"Isn't "experienced" just a euphemism for "old git" ? :whistling:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for a laugh, this thread...

Wildcats for 223 , 243 and 308... 308 was a developed round for the military, as was 223, nothing to do with wildcats. Yes, the 243 was a wildcat, and tbh I wish they'd never bothered as it would mean we aren't arguing about it all the time. Clearly then all wildcats are rubbish :D

As a specific deer calibre, it's a little lacking due to normal twist of 1:10, which is ideal as a midweight bullet twist. if they were all 1:9, then it would be a good deer calibre as 100gr bullets would normally work. Hey ho. But here's a thing, it will kill anything you ask of it.

Ultimately, any deer calibre will work OK, so no choice is a bad one. at normal deer ranges, pretty much any larger calibre's going to work. Not really worth arguing about though, is it?!

MR Logic

You have the same complaint as me as i can't read according to your Ludite friend.

Look at my post I have NOT said the .223 or the .308 was a wildcat, i said the three chamberings came from wildcats and load developmants.

Codpiece, I do think you need to read my post.... I have not said you said that!

223 had no wildcat in its lineage

308 had no wildcat in its direct lineage

Both were designed cartridges, 223 from the 222 which was a commercial design, and 308 from 30-06 which was the previous military cartridge. Both are very different from, say 22-250, which was brought about by a load of people playing around.

thinking of getting a bigger calibre something legal for deer, currently have .22lr and .223

What calibre would you recomend something very accurate, something with a good choice for home loading, whichever i go for i will probably have some custom work done to it so would like something with alot going for it

my mate has a 6mm ppc should i follow him and get the same?

OK

Firstly I chose a .270 for Deer, but that was because the rifle had a left hand bolt (I'm a LH spazzy), but a good friend of mine who has been stalking for over 40 years, and owned a gun shop

told me that "everyone gets a .243 at first, until they loose a deer, then they get a bigger calibre", he had owned and shot just about everything and his 'preferred' calibre was the 7MM-08, he also

had a 30-06 for Reds in Scotland, but he swore by the 08' and I respect his choice because he DOES know what he's talking about.

My .270 is in my experience excellent and VERY deadly, but I only shoot Roe, and even then mostly from under 100 yards in woodlands so no suprise really.

But it's your call, remember the .243 is NOT Deer legal with bullets under 100gr so that might tell you something?

AF