Fowling trip

Well guys I had my little trip up to Findhorn bay a little disapointed :( , not that there was no geese but with mine and j4wgs's shooting had a strong westerly wind and a couple of perfect skeins of pinks flighting off the mud right over us at 15 to 20 yards up. I managed to miss with both shots :censored: and j4wgs hit 1 and not even cleanly with that goose collected and dispatched we sat out for another hour only to watch the rest of the geese flight the opposite direction :cry: but thats fowling for you. It was still an excelent trip all the same.

Happy Hunting. Meikle

i used to shoot the findorn and got sick of all the idiots in the cowboy corner shooting geese at stupid hights and all sitting 15 yards apart i now live by the montrose basin far better and more sucseefull been once this year on an evening flight there fir an hour and a half and picked up 7 pinks :victory:

Guest greygoose

:drink:

Well guys I had my little trip up to Findhorn bay a little disapointed :( , not that there was no geese but with mine and j4wgs's shooting had a strong westerly wind and a couple of perfect skeins of pinks flighting off the mud right over us at 15 to 20 yards up. I managed to miss with both shots :censored: and j4wgs hit 1 and not even cleanly with that goose collected and dispatched we sat out for another hour only to watch the rest of the geese flight the opposite direction :cry: but thats fowling for you. It was still an excelent trip all the same.

Happy Hunting. Meikle

:drink: what days did you shoot i shot monday , nothing, wensday was really good i was on the point on the island, got 4 pinks and a crow , geese flying really low considering there wasest much wind, then on friday sounded like loads of geese out there but not many coming of, one lad was using a muzzle loading 4 bore was that your mate :victory:

i used to shoot the findorn and got sick of all the idiots in the cowboy corner shooting geese at stupid hights and all sitting 15 yards apart i now live by the montrose basin far better and more sucseefull been once this year on an evening flight there fir an hour and a half and picked up 7 pinks :victory:

:drink: know the feeling,you ought to try over by the river not so many geese but not so many fools either,good chance for some widgeon as well, or try by the landing lights a good spot for greylags :rolleyes:

"Cowboy corner" I like that one and its true enough we were down near the mouth of the river and we had the whole of that corner to our self. I could see the geese lifting from that corner through the bins and there must of been a good few boys down there shooting at well to high birds. I've never been down to montrose basin a quite fancy going there though our local ground is the Ythan as I live right beside it its not big but can be good for geese on a strong wind.

:censored: In my defence the sun was in my eyes and thats why i didnt drop anymore!

The "COWBOYS" up there and down here are just spoiling the shooting for everyone else!!

I dont even rate them as true wildfowlers just boys that think you can take a pop at high birds and they will drop like a pheasant! We get them down here on the YTHAN aswell....

In wildfowling its not all about dropping high birds! I personally think that half the fun in wildfowling is putting in the effort to get under the birds with the wind behind you and learning how to call the geese! If the geese are to high then they deserve to get away! When you get it right and the skeins come over you within range then it makes it all the sweeter!

:cry: Sorry about the big rant but thats my personal opinion and i just thought i would put it across!!!

:signthankspin::laugh:

Spot on j4wgs,

If only everyone took that view.

I've shot Wildfowl in most places in Scotland from the Solway to the Outer Hebrides but Findhorn is not on my list. I've heard so many horror stories about the cowboys from some of my mates it kind of put me off the place. I been for a trip every season for the last 15 years up the the Northern Firths above Inverness and even up there it depends on what dates you go as to wether the crowds are there. I do most of my 'fowling locally on the Tay and Forth.

Glad to see you guys enjoyed your trip. :)

Cheers,

Mark.

the problem with the findorn is it is to easier acsess i have had the pleasure of shooting on the dornoch,cromarty,moray firth, findorn :hmm: tay,montrose basin and in england tothe findorn was the worst place i have been seen people falling out with each other over a goose i would sooner walk for an hour then sit next to some fool with a game gun shooting at 50yard+ plus geese.

i can see why the locals on the findorn get sick of the vistors they come up for a few days put all the geese way high then go home and moan that it was a hard week if some of them botherd to watch the geese see where the little lots go out then they could all spread out and get some shooting its just a mater of time before a goose falls into kinross on a car or house or even worse someone and that will be the end to the shooting on that side of the basin i would think. if people were sensible with what they where shooting at at took the lower stuff and killed it clean and not woundig it to fly on 4-500 yards then drop on the camp it would be a better place.

i once saw a letter that the forres and nairn district wildfowlers put out to there members telling them to go out and shoot the geese on the roost as to put them on to the culbin sands (where the gesse used to roost years ago)as to stop the visitors getting shooting on the basin because the club has private acsees to this ground but if vistors would have a very long walk 4-5 miles i think to get in to it.

that was anouther reason for giving up the shooting on there and at the time i lived 3 miles from the findorn.

the problem with the findorn is it is to easier acsess i have had the pleasure of shooting on the dornoch,cromarty,moray firth, findorn :hmm: tay,montrose basin and in england tothe findorn was the worst place i have been seen people falling out with each other over a goose i would sooner walk for an hour then sit next to some fool with a game gun shooting at 50yard+ plus geese.

i can see why the locals on the findorn get sick of the vistors they come up for a few days put all the geese way high then go home and moan that it was a hard week if some of them botherd to watch the geese see where the little lots go out then they could all spread out and get some shooting its just a mater of time before a goose falls into kinross on a car or house or even worse someone and that will be the end to the shooting on that side of the basin i would think. if people were sensible with what they where shooting at at took the lower stuff and killed it clean and not woundig it to fly on 4-500 yards then drop on the camp it would be a better place.

i once saw a letter that the forres and nairn district wildfowlers put out to there members telling them to go out and shoot the geese on the roost as to put them on to the culbin sands (where the gesse used to roost years ago)as to stop the visitors getting shooting on the basin because the club has private acsees to this ground but if vistors would have a very long walk 4-5 miles i think to get in to it.

that was anouther reason for giving up the shooting on there and at the time i lived 3 miles from the findorn.

Alright chief do you know if you can shoot on loch Fleet i've been over the bridge there a couple of times and it looks really good on the inward side lots of marsh, gullys and drains I was just wondering if you can shoot it or if you have shot it in the past?

Guest greygoose

:drink:

A dumbass question guys but do you take a dog with you? :icon_redface:

:drink: I USED TO USE A POINTER X GREYHOUND LURCHER ,BUT SHE BROKE HER NECK NOW I USE A PURE W.H.P. A BIT YOUNG AND SCATY BUT SHE WILL LEARN SHE PREFERS HUNTING TO WAITING FOR A RETRIEVE

i used to work there many years ago it is all private as you head north all the water on the right is a nature resurve and the water on the left is part of cambusmore estate we used to take clients to the butts that are still visable and shoot a lot of duck and some geese it use to be a grey roost but getting more and more pinks now not sure if the estate still shoot it your better of shooting the dornoch around by the golf course far better flight out of there :victory:

• 11 months later...

Happy Hunting. Meikle

i bet you were shooting and using bismuth :haha: ,........try ITM very similar to lead ,expensive ,but it brings em down :hmm: give it a go and see the difference

well i am glad you enjoyed your trip down to the shore i know what you mean by these gun's comming up from down south and shooting at the geese way way to high we had the same problem many years ago around loch leven where a farmer used to have a couple of bale hide's on the top of a slight hill on his field a main flight line out of the loch and he used to let his cottage out to so-called wildfowlers and boy did they try and hit geese at some way up me and the guide i worked for at the time started to call them the high flyers but now this farm has went back in to decent hand's and kinross estate has took these field's back so no shooting from there now so the geese can flight to there feeding field's in peace now

Every year i promise myself that i will join the Devon wildfowlers, threads like this remind me, then another year comes along and i kick myself for wasting another year. Wild fowling is to me the same as deerstalking, truly wild totally unpredictable, but when it comes right it makes it all the worth while, all the fruitless trips, the god awfull hours we have to get out of bed, it really is for lack of a better word, the pinnacle of shotgun sport.

Must remember to apply (this year). :hmm: