black ferrets

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well you have a sambo & honky dont you anyway :laugh:

Well, here is my my two penn'eth   I have kept ferrets for 30 years and have had all sorts including pure wild cage caught polecats. I have seen many dark animals but none darker that Romany's above

Posted Images

you lot know f**k all about ferrets if you think blacks don't exist

Got any pix? :D

:whistling:

dunno why by something tells me he wont have any

Everytime I ask to see a pic of a black ferret, I get blanked, wonder why :whistling:

Not black selfs but pretty dark.

intryga.jpg

img_2378.jpg

Lovely looking . Proper little chaps .Could easily pass them off as young wildies . Do you expect them to lighten-up in the under fur and facial department as they grow older ? you can sort of see the mask there and what lovely long sleek tails .Bottom one loks like he's wearing brylcream .

Edited by comanche

Everytime I ask to see a pic of a black ferret, I get blanked, wonder why :whistling:

I'm afraid stealthy you may have to appologise to "Kevin from Bristol " (come on down ). Not only has Romany come pretty close but I've unearthed an historical document that indicates that in the past at least black ferrets did exist ..

I found it secreted in my mother's drawers with her old Wembley Lions speedway programmespost-13773-081279600 1277161572_thumb.jpg

and three bottles of absinthe!.

Edited by comanche

I'm afraid stealthy you may have to appologise to "Kevin from Bristol " (come on down ). Not only has Romany come pretty close but I've unearthed an historical document that indicates that in the past at least black ferrets did exist ..

I found it secreted in my mother's drawers with her old Wembley Lions speedway programmespost-13773-081279600 1277161572_thumb.jpg

and three bottles of absinthe!.

lol yea romanys are pretty much the same as my two and yea i reckon that will be the closest you could get to a pure black.maybe kevin has been on the absinthe

Well, here is my my two penn'eth

I have kept ferrets for 30 years and have had all sorts including pure wild cage caught polecats. I have seen many dark animals but none darker that Romany's above, that seems to be the darkest the putorius strain will go.

I have seen the mink outcross (putorius/vison) but as already stated no line breeding can take place from such a forced cross as the offspring are infertile - althought the scope for breeding almost black or even silver colours is possible.

My own experience, wild pure wild polecats and half crosses are not successful - the resultant offspring are edgy at best, shy and untrustable even if hand reared from 2 weeks. It seems that the wild vigour never leaves them unless crossed out which negates the point in introducing the wild bloodline in the first place.

If I were you, I would concentrate on producing the best line of ferrets you can, animals that are healthy, steady and good workers. And keep the semi domesticated state that the sub species should be.

OTC

• Like 1

why does everything turn into a slanging match on here? someone asks a question and doesnt get a whole lot of friendly answers. whats with all the critisism? atb mrs A.R.D

eh this thread was perfectly civil and was pretty imformative aswell.then the bold kev appeared with his vast knowledge.Did you actually read his post?his was the only negative comment on here.