how long

Guest merle

• 3 weeks later...
We dress them after 24 hours, then hang them for about 4 days.

after a deer has been culled it is important to dress out the deer as soon as you can i know a few of you need to spend the next hour getting to a safe area :lol: but the first thing you should do on getting to the deer is bleed it if it has been caught with a dog the chances are it is still alive so if the dog aint on the throat slit the throat right through if the dog is on the neck as often happens so ive heard place the blade of you nife right through the heart which is just behind the front leg half way up the chest. NEXT take out the intestines down as far as the shit pipe and tye it off up as far as the feed tube wich runs through the chest membrain. then get it home gety it on its back and open the back legs wide at this point you should have no sexual thougts :lol: cut throught the pelvic bone open the legs wider and remove the back passage and piss sack. hang by the back legs and slice down the ribs right down the kneck and out remove all the pluck heart lungs wind pipe and the feed tube. NOW HANG THE DEER TILL IT IS COOL MOST TIMES OVER NIGHT THIS WILL GET ALL THE TISSUE TO TAKE ON A NICE TIGHT LINE FOR BUTCHERING LATER.If you can hang the carcase in a chill as i do then you should hand a roe deer for a bout 7 days a red deer about 10 days a chill should have a temp of a bout 3 degs if you cant then get a chest freezer and place your deer in it the freezing proccess has nearly the same affect on meat as hagging. ps deer can be refrozen there is not a problem as there is with pork and chicken hope this helps :haha: Edited by wireviz270

very intresting Mister wireviz270,

I especially like the technical terms like “piss sack†and “shit pipe†proper butchery trem i suspect!

just one thing i would like glean, do you hang them with anything on them like muslim or something such like ?

Thanks for the very good info,- but i should have perhaps said we gut the deer on the spot, then we hang it 24 hours then skin it, ( which is what i thought was meant in the question ) as we were instructed, then we hang it for about 4 days,- but it seems we were not correct, and will change it now.

Thanks again.

Gin 4 days is ok if thats the way you like your meat mate i have in the passed ate deer that was only a few hours dead i must say it was young still had a few spots lol. neo i think covering the beast is only done if there is a worrie of flys etc getting to the carrcase beter to live in a cold area i dont need to worrie only the buggers down south need to worrie lmao . ps to night it is -6

we skin ours as soon as they are stiff, helps the carcase cool down fallow only needs a few days reds need a week, do you hunt with a wire haired vizla and use a 270 win, wireviz270?????

I do and yes thats what i shoot lol i dont take the skin off till the beast is ready for butchering as the meat drys up roe is the worst as there aint even a layer of fat on em. 078183.jpg

cooling the easy way.

071766.jpg heres the mut and in the back ground its the gun kiwi

nice looking dog, my mate had one with out the wire coat, very good nose on the bugger sold him to a possum trapper who shot him by mistake while he was bailing a boar :D 270 is a bit over kill on them little roe, or do you load it down for the job?

Well kiwi its about the type of bullet not realy the size of gun mate i have used quite a few loads and believe it or not the worst load i have used on roe for damage to the meat is .222 balistic they send a shock through the beast that leaves a real mess were as the 270 with soft point seems to knock the beast down but only damages the area round the entry and exit. never tried ballistic tips on roe with the 270 because i like eating the deer i shoot ;) SO ITS THE 270 ON FORRESTRY AND MY WEE .222 FOR KNOCKING ABOUT LOCAL.

i know all about the treble two, millions of red deer have been shot out of choppers here with it and it does kill out of proportion to it's size, so long as the range is not to far, it loses energy pretty quick after 200 meters. used a sako vixen for years. i have used and discarded the 270 as i could never get the bloody thing to shoot, even with homeloads. i have shot some good stags with ballistic tips and heaps of fallow and found it to jelly the fore quaters or pass right through depending on the range. i use a 30/30, 2506 and 3006 good for every thing from rabbits to red stag.