gun man on killing spree

whatever his reasons:

thankfully it is now over

sadly...innocent people lost their lives, our thoughts should be with the familys of the dead.

unless you know the area you would never imagine how remote and isolated it is.

he couldnt have commited this dreadful act in a much worse area, in terms of policing/searching.

a very sad day.......and like hungerford and dunblane, will never be forgotten.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am truly sorry about this situation and have only condolences for the families of the victims.. I will include them in my prayers!

Very sad affair

Well its as we expected the media now cause mass panic and say that gun laws are not working and demand a change in them, then all the anti`s jump on the band wagen too. I had to turn the news off las

However many living beings there are

Experiencing mental and physical suffering,

May their suffering cease through the power of our merit,

And may they find everlasting happiness and joy.

This buddhist prayer goes out to all the families of the injured or murdered.

May their souls find their path.

Well its as we expected the media now cause mass panic and say that gun laws are not working and demand a change in them, then all the anti`s jump on the band wagen too. I had to turn the news off last night as I was so angry at the reporter trying to spoonfeed words into an MP`s mouth regarding "maybe we should ban shotguns". And another reporting wrongly stating "you heed a license for airguns" and "shotguns were not affected by any of the previous changes in the gun law".

In my view the gun laws are not working. They banned semi autos after hungerford, but dunblaine still happened. They banned handguns after dunblaine, but this latest one happened. So in my view, banning guns is making no difference what so ever, so they should immediately revoke the bans and look at other ways to make sure people who have guns are not looney tones. Like Thomas Hamilton... from what i understand he was banned from scouts cos he was a suspected peedo and was known by the police. Now, surely that should give a red flag to the police as to not to give him a gun license? They could ban all the guns in the world, but unless they look into why people like that were given a license by the police it will not change a thing. Thats where the real problem is.

My solution would make gun laws more lax, make it so anyone can have a handgun for defence and home protection. Even allow "concealed carrying" if the person is deemed suitable. That way tradegys like this would not have happened. As soon any members of the public would have seen this looney shooting people they could have blew him awat before it got out of hand. Problem solved. Likewise, thiefs would be too scared to burgle peoples houses in case they got shot. Problem solved. Also muggers would think twice about attacking grandad in case he is packing a gun.

• Like 1

the muppet on the news said at one point it was an 'airgun', the woman said ' a shotgun, most likely used for deerstalking' and a man said ' a huge james bond style sniper rifle'

They are constantly talking about the licensing as we all know, no doubt something will come into place. Just looked on sky news website, confirmed that an oldish bloke known locally as spike, the local molecatcher, i didnt know him really, but as i would pass him early morning, walking the dog or checking snares he would walk past and always said hello. Where he was killed i am often ratching about with the dog etc at that time of day on my own, just wrong place wrong time. couldnt believe that something could happen like that in such an isolated area.

as my dad pointed out, when those first killings took place, should egremont upwards not have been isolated, and cut off. as for police numbers, what about the hundreds of young lasses and lads etc walking around site with machine guns. im sure there will be large numbers of different views/opinions going around. just cannot believe it.

Just to voice my heartfelt condolences to all those poor souls,their friends and family and anybody else that has been affected from the area by this awfull tragedy yesterday.

The only saving grace is thank god incidents of these nature are few and far between on these islands of ours.

Gods speed to those that were took so unfairly before their time.

Edited by gaz

Well its as we expected the media now cause mass panic and say that gun laws are not working and demand a change in them, then all the anti`s jump on the band wagen too. I had to turn the news off last night as I was so angry at the reporter trying to spoonfeed words into an MP`s mouth regarding "maybe we should ban shotguns". And another reporting wrongly stating "you heed a license for airguns" and "shotguns were not affected by any of the previous changes in the gun law".

In my view the gun laws are not working. They banned semi autos after hungerford, but dunblaine still happened. They banned handguns after dunblaine, but this latest one happened. So in my view, banning guns is making no difference what so ever, so they should immediately revoke the bans and look at other ways to make sure people who have guns are not looney tones. Like Thomas Hamilton... from what i understand he was banned from scouts cos he was a suspected peedo and was known by the police. Now, surely that should give a red flag to the police as to not to give him a gun license? They could ban all the guns in the world, but unless they look into why people like that were given a license by the police it will not change a thing. Thats where the real problem is.

My solution would make gun laws more lax, make it so anyone can have a handgun for defence and home protection. Even allow "concealed carrying" if the person is deemed suitable. That way tradegys like this would not have happened. As soon any members of the public would have seen this looney shooting people they could have blew him awat before it got out of hand. Problem solved. Likewise, thiefs would be too scared to burgle peoples houses in case they got shot. Problem solved. Also muggers would think twice about attacking grandad in case he is packing a gun.

So your theory would be if the public were armed they could have taken him out?i see a lot of problems arising there mate.the cops get sketchy reports they rush to the area and half the public are running about with guns.its the uk we live in not dodge city.this is an isolated case,well what i mean is we in the uk fortuaneatly dont have this type of tragedy happening regular.So in my opinion that would be a foolish road to go down.Also the normal joe bloggs isnt trained or aware of the situation and having the public running around armed would only result in more innocent people being killed.it was a terrible thing to happen and hopefully it will not happen again.there is a fine line between sane and insanity and when the human brain snaps this is the type of thing that can happen.

am i the only person thinking there should be more guns about so when theres a looney about members of the public can take him out without getting arrested by your own police force for shooting someone. And the police only get pepperspray shouldnt they have a AR style rifle in back of the car so they dont have to hand back and wate for armed backup

am i the only person thinking there should be more guns about so when theres a looney about members of the public can take him out without getting arrested by your own police force for shooting someone. And the police only get pepperspray shouldnt they have a AR style rifle in back of the car so they dont have to hand back and wate for armed backup

yep hopefully your the only one.

thankfully we do not live in a state of gun culture and thats the way it should stay. the police don't have guns for various reasons but mainly because they don't need them. they have armed response who are trained and generally competent. there are some silly police-persons out there but not silly enough to take on a gunman with pepper-spray.

people with guns policing themselves, if you have truly thought this one through then you have problems and should do some research on self policed states.

..............................................................................................................

horrible thing to happen and condolences to everyone involved.

,,,,,,,,,,, edit. i have just read back throuigh the tread, turns out you are not the only one hiho. i would urge anyone who has the thoughts to do some reaserch into it before typing. i will never happen anyway and rightly so but would it not be better to think someon through properly before suggesting it. try searching policing in alot of the older style african states.

Edited by JR Yipp

Latest news is that there are 12 dead, and 11 injured.

The firearms used (a 12 bore and a .22 rifle) were both licensed to Derrick Bird.

The Home secretary has made a measured and sensible statement, in which she has said that no 'knee jerk' changes to legislation will be made.

Chris Williamson (moron) Labour MP for North Derbyshire is already calling for the banning of all private gun ownership. If you live in his constituency, email him today and tell him what an idiot he is.

Am I the only one who is fed up with the media making such a fuss about the rifle having telescopic sights?

Yes.

The thought of any Tom, Dick or Harry being able to act as Judge, Jury and Executioner is quite frightening.

While I'm against further firearm legislation, it does make sense that Doctors should be able to inform the authorities if a certificate holder is suffering from any kind of mental disorder.

Lets not forget, these incidents are few and far between.

Yeah just watching it now, Madness utter madness. DERRICK BIRD his name is.

He's using a shotgun and has been shooting people in different areas of Cumbria. Too all of our Cumbrian members I hope you stay safe and keep out of sight before this lunatic is brought down.

I wish SGS was over in Cumbria so he could play Rambo and take this guy down with one of his concealed pocket Rocket hand cannons.

I'm hearing on sky news that there is around 10 murders so far :icon_eek:

I am truly sorry about this situation and have only condolences for the families of the victims.. I will include them in my prayers!

• Like 2

Yes.

The thought of any Tom, Dick or Harry being able to act as Judge, Jury and Executioner is quite frightening.

While I'm against further firearm legislation, it does make sense that Doctors should be able to inform the authorities if a certificate holder is suffering from any kind of mental disorder.

Lets not forget, these incidents are few and far between.

I agree with what you are getting at Matt, BUT, if there was some lunatic walking down the street and quite plainly blowing innocent people away, i would do my upmost to take him out. If that meant me grabbing a shotgun and killing him, then so be it.

I am sure that in the crazy fecked up country we now live in, some ounce of sence would shine through in this situation.

If someone shoots at me, it tends to piss me off, it has happened before... :laugh:

Actually just read an interesting article on one of the websites showing the statistics for gun crimes and it quoted:

"Police figures show that there were 39 firearms-related deaths in 2008-09 and that seven of these involved a shotgun. That total was the lowest recorded by the police in 20 years. Guns play a role in just 0.3% of all recorded crimes - one in every 330 incidents."

Which if you take these figures as being accurate seems to show that what gun laws we have currently are in fact working. It doesnt say how many of those incidences involved licensed gun owners, but i would imagine that the percentage of legally licensed gun owners who commit a gun crime would be extreemly low.

Im not sure how we could possibly tighten things up any more. Its not about the guns its the person. Anyone could "flip" at any point. How to you try and identify the mental state of someone and predict how their mental state will be in the future? Impossible really. Physchology reports can vary staggeringly and turn the most inocent comment someone makes into "he`s a looney".

Maybe my comment on letting licensed people carry handguns like they do in some parts of the US wouldnt work over here. It was something a colleague in the US mentioned to me yesterday when we were talking about it. He has permission to carry a concealed handgun upon himself in the state where he lives and his first response was that he`d have just shot the guy in self defense had the guy tried to shoot him, and therefore prevented a lot of unnessasary deaths.

• Like 1

Actually just read an interesting article on one of the websites showing the statistics for gun crimes and it quoted:

"Police figures show that there were 39 firearms-related deaths in 2008-09 and that seven of these involved a shotgun. That total was the lowest recorded by the police in 20 years. Guns play a role in just 0.3% of all recorded crimes - one in every 330 incidents."

Which if you take these figures as being accurate seems to show that what gun laws we have currently are in fact working. It doesnt say how many of those incidences involved licensed gun owners, but i would imagine that the percentage of legally licensed gun owners who commit a gun crime would be extreemly low.

Im not sure how we could possibly tighten things up any more. Its not about the guns its the person. Anyone could "flip" at any point. How to you try and identify the mental state of someone and predict how their mental state will be in the future? Impossible really. Physchology reports can vary staggeringly and turn the most inocent comment someone makes into "he`s a looney".

Maybe my comment on letting licensed people carry handguns like they do in some parts of the US wouldnt work over here. It was something a colleague in the US mentioned to me yesterday when we were talking about it. He has permission to carry a concealed handgun upon himself in the state where he lives and his first response was that he`d have just shot the guy in self defense had the guy tried to shoot him, and therefore prevented a lot of unnessasary deaths.

The same thought actually crossed my mind yesterday if we were allowed to carry arms maybe the outcome could have been different but it would open a new can of worms
  • Like 1

why do licences run for 5 years between renewal it was to save money in my opinion it is far too long between applications and I would be all for spot checks from an FLO as well.

May or thoughts and prayers be with the people affected by this horrendous crime