what happens if jills aren't mated?

To be fair the fellas ferrets could have made it that long without being mated - but that would be lucky (not impossible) and i just would not risk the health or happiness of my wee warrior weasels for the price of the jabs or keeping a vac hob.

like i said i have known a fair few, so there must be more to it than luck ?? have you lost a jill through them being in season ? or do you do what most do and jump on the band wagon when it comes to having to do it or they will die??

not having a pop

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The internet can be a great thing, or not. People can talk to each other and tell of their experiences and this is how we can compare things and perhaps learn something. I've had ferrets since 1977,

Here we go again.Who are you to say his advice is dumb ass mate.I have kept ferrets untill 10yrs old and never mated.Yes the vets will tell you they need mating and the pricks that don't no any better

Tote i think your spot on its clear from what i have read on this thread that not all jills drop dead ... i do think its very different from the text book stuff that seems to be quoted a lot & tak

Dont listen to some of the above mate if a jill is left in season she will become very distressed and prance up and down her cage and will loose condition, however this is the best you can hope for as there a high risk she will get aplasic anemia this is a bone marrow disease and alot not all ferret die from this every year,some ferrets will manage to recover from it for maybe a year or two but would you be willing to risk your best working jill knowing she might die if the following options are not taken.

1, get her spayed

2, jill jab,price varys from vet to vet

3, hormone implant

4, put to a proven vas hob.

if you ont belive this then why dont you try reading up on it on the computer or in books surly these people cant be wrong.

i would say to anyone that thinks a ferret that isnt brough out of season is distressed and loses condition are welcome to look at mine, i will try and get some good pictures up tommorow if you like??

They will not all automatically die but apart from the infection aspect they DO sometimes get stick in perpetual season and due to estrogen hormone production over an extended period bone marrow cells are inhibited from dividing which leads to a reduction in red blood cells and hence they become anemic. The symptoms of which are lethargy and general un-ferretness - but by the time these symptoms are noticed it is too late.

No none of mine have died like this but i have seen it happen. Not nice.

Dont listen to some of the above mate if a jill is left in season she will become very distressed and prance up and down her cage and will loose condition, however this is the best you can hope for as there a high risk she will get aplasic anemia this is a bone marrow disease and alot not all ferret die from this every year,some ferrets will manage to recover from it for maybe a year or two but would you be willing to risk your best working jill knowing she might die if the following options are not taken.

1, get her spayed

2, jill jab,price varys from vet to vet

3, hormone implant

4, put to a proven vas hob.

if you ont belive this then why dont you try reading up on it on the computer or in books surly these people cant be wrong.

i would say to anyone that thinks a ferret that isnt brough out of season is distressed and loses condition are welcome to look at mine, i will try and get some good pictures up tommorow if you like??

na your wife no that good looking.

thats a smart reply that mate :thumbs:

what happened to your fountain of knowledge being passed on in another post?

if you want to get personal when someone disagrees with you and you cant think of what to say thats fine. to me its just childish

Edited by jenksi87

They will not all automatically die but apart from the infection aspect they DO sometimes get stick in perpetual season and due to estrogen hormone production over an extended period bone marrow cells are inhibited from dividing which leads to a reduction in red blood cells and hence they become anemic. The symptoms of which are lethargy and general un-ferretness - but by the time these symptoms are noticed it is too late.

do you know for a fact this is what happened? where the ferrets autopsied?? theres plenty of things that could show the same symptoms. and yes i agree they are more susceptible to infection, which is why daily cleaning is necessary, but to me this should happen anyway.

like i said, my jills arent dead and i know plenty of others that arent, and never get brought out, nearly all of which do hit, or get close to double figures.

edited to say am off to bed now so you can all have time to add your ten pence worth :thumbs:

Edited by jenksi87

do you know for a fact this is what happened? where the ferrets autopsied?? theres plenty of things that could show the same symptoms. and yes i agree they are more susceptible to infection, which is why daily cleaning is necessary, but to me this should happen anyway.

like i said, my jills arent dead and i know plenty of others that arent, and never get brought out, nearly all of which do hit, or get close to double figures.

edited to say am off to bed now so you can all have time to add your ten pence worth :thumbs:

YOU SAID

and what do you do when they come back into season after being with a v-hob??? mate them up again???

yes thats what i do. why wouldnt i do that. (im being sacracastic btw)

I've asked this question before, on here and on other forums but as yet haven't had an answer so i'm hoping I might get one this time.

I've noticed that quite a few are saying that if a jill stays in season she will lose condition, be poorly and possibly die. Others are saying that they've had jills live to a ripe old age and never been taken out of season, not possible say some.hmm.gif

We can read all the vetinary papers telling us what will [or should] happen if jills are not taken out of season, but my question is,- has anyone heard of any experiments that have been carried out [big or small] and what were the results?

nothing mate, as long as you keep there housing clean they will be fine.

You been living on another planet?

It's a forum Jai and he's entitled to his opinion,remember.biggrin.gif

it is possible a jill could die if left in season without being mated,but i have never personally expeienced it,the only thing i've come across is a stressed out or frustated jill rather and i've kept ferrets for a long time.In my experience as long as the hutch was kept clean and you kept an eye on the jills vulva region for any early sign of infection,then it could be treated as soon as possible.I have 5 jills now all in season in a large court and all appear okay(may take some pics tomorrow to show condition),only two of these jills had previously been mated(the other three are some of last year's kits)and while i do understand some people experience problems with their jills maybe there are other factors involved.

Higgins.

you decided that your little smart comments werent called for then willueh? as soon as someone challenges your opinions you have nothing to say, not at least until you have googled it :icon_redface:

i suggest you stop preaching on here and sit back and try and listen to what other people have to say.

if your unable to listen to other peoples opinions and stories, without calling them liars then you are in the wrong place!

my way or the highway isnt what THL is about is it??

cap end :feck:

it is possible a jill could die if left in season without being mated,but i have never personally expeienced it,the only thing i've come across is a stressed out or frustated jill rather and i've kept ferrets for a long time.In my experience as long as the hutch was kept clean and you kept an eye on the jills vulva region for any early sign of infection,then it could be treated as soon as possible.I have 5 jills now all in season in a large court and all appear okay(may take some pics tomorrow to show condition),only two of these jills had previously been mated(the other three are some of last year's kits)and while i do understand some people experience problems with their jills maybe there are other factors involved.

Higgins.

i would say there are other factors involved aswell. and as for the experts that dont like my view on the matter.

one of you are telling me my jills will be lethargic, the other one that my jill will be skitting about her run and losing condition. maybe its just me but doesn't this contradict each of you?

at least get your heads together before you jump on the bandwagon boys.........................

Mate - i'm not jumping on any band wagon - just what i have seen and yes i do not doubt there may well be other factors at play. Simple thing for me is like i said for the price of the jab or running a vac hob i just simply do not wish to take any risks with the health of my team.

As for having the right to an opinion - i totally agree - however as i learnt before it is important to have a balanced answer to these questions not just an assertion that one way is right and everyone else is a fool.

If you noticed i never said 'they will definately die' i just said that there was a potential increased risk - and explained what this was due to - i.e hormone production etc etc etc. And also they can begin to lose a bit of condition due to bodily stress.

It may be that often it was infection which ended up being the killer - and although this can be avoided by daily cleaning i would rather a more sure method - i.e taking them out of season (i may be lucky in that mine do not often return)

Also if i was a jill i would rather have a good ride with the vac hob than drag my dripping vulva around for weeks.

But like i said it is totally possible for a jill to survive without getting taken out - it is not certain death - its just not a risk i would want to take even if 100 to 1 - a very good working ferret isnt worth that risk to me.

But yes - they are your ferrets and if they and you are happy - JOB DONE!