what happens if jills aren't mated?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The internet can be a great thing, or not. People can talk to each other and tell of their experiences and this is how we can compare things and perhaps learn something. I've had ferrets since 1977,

Here we go again.Who are you to say his advice is dumb ass mate.I have kept ferrets untill 10yrs old and never mated.Yes the vets will tell you they need mating and the pricks that don't no any better

Tote i think your spot on its clear from what i have read on this thread that not all jills drop dead ... i do think its very different from the text book stuff that seems to be quoted a lot & tak

i have 5 jills and i was wondering what happens if they're not mated?

Its better that the swelling is reduced because of the fact that ferrets are so low to the ground & its possible for infection to track via the vulva ... also if the hormones arnt reduced its possible they can become anaemic .. not all jills become sick if there left in season ... but just reducing the swelling helps

there are several methods to redcue the swelling other than mating them

you can spay which is a hysterectomy basically removal of the reproductive organs

A hormone injection commonly known as the jill jab

running the jill with a vasectomised hob ... sometimes the hob isnt firing blanks & you may end up with kits

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Dont listen to some of the above mate if a jill is left in season she will become very distressed and prance up and down her cage and will loose condition, however this is the best you can hope for as there a high risk she will get aplasic anemia this is a bone marrow disease and alot not all ferret die from this every year,some ferrets will manage to recover from it for maybe a year or two but would you be willing to risk your best working jill knowing she might die if the following options are not taken.

1, get her spayed

2, jill jab,price varys from vet to vet

3, hormone implant

4, put to a proven vas hob.

if you ont belive this then why dont you try reading up on it on the computer or in books surly these people cant be wrong.

i have 5 jills and i was wondering what happens if they're not mated?

Its better that the swelling is reduced because of the fact that ferrets are so low to the ground & its possible for infection to track via the vulva ... also if the hormones arnt reduced its possible they can become anaemic .. not all jills become sick if there left in season ... but just reducing the swelling helps

there are several methods to redcue the swelling other than mating them

you can spay which is a hysterectomy basically removal of the reproductive organs

A hormone injection commonly known as the jill jab

running the jill with a vasectomised hob ... sometimes the hob isnt firing blanks & you may end up with kits

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Good advice hun :thumbs:

Dont listen to some of the above mate if a jill is left in season she will become very distressed and prance up and down her cage and will loose condition, however this is the best you can hope for as there a high risk she will get aplasic anemia this is a bone marrow disease and alot not all ferret die from this every year,some ferrets will manage to recover from it for maybe a year or two but would you be willing to risk your best working jill knowing she might die if the following options are not taken.

1, get her spayed

3, hormone implant

if you ont belive this then why dont you try reading up on it on the computer or in books surly these people cant be wrong.

and again, good proper advice..

I've two five year old jills at the moment mate and never used any of the methods suggested, I had two litter sisters go to thirteen and fourteen were never mated or any of the methods suggested used.

This topic rears its head regurarly and it has been asked, has anyone actually lost a jill through leaving unmated or using one of the methods?.

1, get her spayed

3, hormone implant

The hormone implant is best given before they come into season .. it prevents them coming into season.. not brings them out

I've two five year old jills at the moment mate and never used any of the methods suggested, I had two litter sisters go to thirteen and fourteen were never mated or any of the methods suggested used.

This topic rears its head regurarly and it has been asked, has anyone actually lost a jill through leaving unmated or using one of the methods?.

i know of a few that have died being left in season but also know of the one jill that died when given the jill jab. and about 3 or 4 jills that have died after being spayed, (this down to the vets not knoing the jill should be out of season before being spayed.

Im sorry mate shouldnt have said that,but this topic has been done to death and always ends up ends up with same arguments.everyone at this time of year are posting comments on threads asking about jill jabs,vascectomised hobs. that speaks for itself the maj of ferreters on here take their jills out of season with which ever menthod,but its better than leaving them in season.why chance an infetion.its common practise.

1, get her spayed

3, hormone implant

The hormone implant is best given before they come into season .. it prevents them coming into season.. not brings them out

your right kay forgot to say that. :thumbs:

13 and 14 yrs old, aye whatever.. :laugh: