A wander round Wiltshire..........

I went for my fortnightly fix of Wiltshire stalking a couple of days ago with Foxdropper,we tend to take it in turns to have each other over,and,it was my turn.He was desperate to get me on a Buck as we had blanked on a couple of ocassions on his land,but,when he came down my end I managed to drop in straight on a Buck each time(he is a lucky bugger).Anyway,we went to a place that I hadn't been on before.....well part of a place I hadn't been on,and it is always nice to stalk new ground,it was a beautiful evening,but as we pulled into the gateway,we spotted a tractor in the field we were going to start off in,and,he was spraying,so,that was that!! We went onto the other side of the road,where there was a big field of rape,and we both glassed the field from the gateway and saw nothing,so we entered the rape field and started to walk along a tramline towards the part of the farm that we thought would be favourite.We hadn't gone more than 50yds when I gave my Dropper a Psst...And we both froze like statues,there in the same tramline albeit on a bit of a bend was a young Buck,and he had already seen us and froze himself,I deployed the sticks,and slipped the rifle from my shoulder into place,all I could see was his head,but,he was rigid trying to work out exactly what we were no doubt,so,I placed the crosshairs on his face and in line with the top of his neck,and he fell like a stone.5 mins gone and one in the bag already,the mandatory shaking of hands took place followed by the gralloch..........

DSC006100001.jpg

And here is a pic of the exit wound just below the atlas joint(instantaneous death)........

DSC006130001.jpg

We carried on after dropping the beast back to the truck as we were still so close,unfortunately however I try to dress it up,we didn't have any more luck even though I think we both thought we would at least have seen a few more,although my mate did actually see a Buck while sat out in the gloamin in front of a wood,but nothing to carry back,never mind they will be there for next time.

Martin.

Deer in standing crop doesn't give too many options - I guess in a situation like that, when you're already been pinged by the animal, you've got high neck / head. At that range, head facing - it all comes down to confidance. Good shooting Martin :thumbs:

Hope he's not been chowing on the rape! I'm led to believe that it's poisonous to them and would mean that he couldn't go into the food chain!

I thought the Atlas was higher up personally, but then if it entered in the face and travelled down the neck then he wasn't going anywhere. What calibre was he taken with?

Nice shooting Martin! Bet you'll be glad when they've finished moulting, that thing will have put hair everywhere...

Apparently too much oilseed rape can make a roe deer go blind but it is common to see them in rape fields and they sure bugger off fast enough!