Pinning a deer

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:57 AM -Wireviz

Pinning a deer is to shoot it through the front shoulders there for making sure it dose not travel from the spot even if it doesn't die right off .Most roe will still wheel barrow a bit but not much. The reason for this is they have floating shoulders (no socket) This still gives them some movement. Nice shot and well done to the client.

Posted 14 May 2010-11:41 AM-J.Robbo

Pinning a deer as above.

Through both front legs and often withers.

Causes bullet to expand instantly and breaks both legs causing instant death.

Damages a little meat but with soft points this is limited and a prefered shot at dusk especially on Sika.

Above is an extract from one of J Robbos posts concerning the shooting of deer in low light .I take it this is best practice too as he quotes that often enough .Wirviz comments that its the practice of shooting deer to prevent them running too far in low light .Well this is bollocks and should be enough to remove anyone from any list of professionals .Breaking both front legs does not cause instant death ,only instant agony.Basically,shooting an animal knowing full well its not a fatal shot .There are no vital organs inline with the front legs in any deer species .

Wheel barrow a bit ? and from a level 1 and 2 holder that spouts the 'best practice ,hes a level 1,2 holder' all the time !

If a deer needs to be dropped on the spot for any reason and the riflemen is incapable of a neck shot then my consience says leave it for another day .Greed is the driver for this and has nothing whatsoever to do with stalking as i know it :censored:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Written and agreed ny the same people who were opposed to me taking instant kill skillfull neck and occasional head shots.

I know as well as the next unbiased shooter than if you fail to hit the main vital organs, it will not result in an instant kill.

One rule for some and another for the rest of us.

If thats what your DSC teaches you then I wouldn't thank you for it.

FTB

Edited by FightTheBan

Pinning a deer is to shoot it through the shoulders not the leg.( I know I said leg but I meant high leg/shoulder area of the beast not below the elbow.(sour grapes)You can pinn a deer through the shoulders and the withers/spine causing instant death.

deerclock-2-1.jpg

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://forums.mathewsinc.com/images/userpix/572_nbef01_002_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.mathewsinc.com/archery-4/stickies-29/deer-anatomy-pics-21358/&usg=__WzSY_Mb2q9xS_Rdr06dfeVPQobE=&h=600&w=670&sz=41&hl=en&start=10&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=v2z2x5Uo9AopiM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=138&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddeer%2Banatomy%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7MEDA_en-GB%26tbs%3Disch:1

As any idiot can see this shot will be fatal.

Only an absolute idiot would shoot a deer in its front legs only and I never posted that I pinn deer anyway only explained that it is what the term means.

Like it or not ALL the bodies that be will not condone head shots on deer and if you do that fine you maybe lucky enough to carry on without hitch.

When the day come you fook up at dusk and an animal runs into the wood with a jaw swinging then I hope you will post that and see how many people say well done at least you tried your best to kill it clean.

Edited by john robbo

Pinning a deer is to shoot it through the front shoulders there for making sure it dose not travel from the spot even if it doesn't die right off .Most roe will still wheel barrow a bit but not much. The reason for this is they have floating shoulders (no socket) This still gives them some movement. Nice shot and well done to the client.

Pinning a deer as above.

Damages a little meat but with soft points this is limited and a prefered shot at dusk especially on Sika.

Above is an extract from one of J Robbos posts concerning the shooting of deer in low light .I take it this is best practice too as he quotes that often enough .Wirviz comments that its the practice of shooting deer to prevent them running too far in low light .Well this is bollocks and should be enough to remove anyone from any list of professionals .Breaking both front legs does not cause instant death ,only instant agony.Basically,shooting an animal knowing full well its not a fatal shot .There are no vital organs inline with the front legs in any deer species .

Wheel barrow a bit ? and from a level 1 and 2 holder that spouts the 'best practice ,hes a level 1,2 holder' all the time !

If a deer needs to be dropped on the spot for any reason and the riflemen is incapable of a neck shot then my consience says leave it for another day .Greed is the driver for this and has nothing whatsoever to do with stalking as i know it :censored:

classic shot placement !! the germans just love whacking them i the shoulder .. well it stop,s them running i suppose !!!! :whistling:

i see most shooters from the states prefer to go through the shoulder low and into the heart,

i don't agree with needless suffering, and as said by someone in an earlier post, if the shooter hasn't the confidence to place the shot into the neck then best to leave it another day.

this is just my humble opinion.

Snap.

i see most shooters from the states prefer to go through the shoulder low and into the heart,

i don't agree with needless suffering, and as said by someone in an earlier post, if the shooter hasn't the confidence to place the shot into the neck then best to leave it another day.

this is just my humble opinion.

Snap.

i agree shoot them in the neck when possible ... they are dead before they hit the ground :thumbs:

Pinning a deer as above.

john robbo, on 13 May 2010 - 10:24 AM, said:

flytie, on 13 May 2010 - 09:48 AM, said:

BN, I try to stay within my ability (not ambition) and heart lung most of my deer. I ocassionally neck shoot If I am really close or need to take the first shot that presents on welfare grounds. I am happy to go with "Best Practise" as publicised by BASC/BDS.

I do not care for "dialing in" and "long distance sniping" at deer, I prefer to stalk! Fair play to you if you do "dial in", use range finders, anemometers and drop charts while shooting deer, just don't call it stalking, because it isn't

I reserve head shooting for humane dispatch, I do not think it has any place in everyday stalking. I had to dispatch two fallow last year that had their jaws blown off by some numpty who thought he could head shoot

ft

I'm with F.T. here but have double standards I admit. Boiler house at close range (below 150m's)(usually below 50)for the deer. And for foxes boiler house, unless at long range then centre mass.

Incoming.

MY ORIGIONAL POST WHERE ON EARTH HAVE I EVEN MENTIONED PINNING A DEER?????????????????????????

AGAIN ALL I HAVE EXPLAINED IS WHAT "PINNING MEANS.

IF I EXPLAINED A GUT SHOT WOULD THAT INSTANTLY MEAN I SHOOT DEER IN THE GUTS

This post has been edited by john robbo: Today, 01:24 PM

"MY ORIGIONAL POST WHERE ON EARTH HAVE I EVEN MENTIONED PINNING A DEER?????????????????????????

AGAIN ALL I HAVE EXPLAINED IS WHAT "PINNING MEANS.

IF I EXPLAINED A GUT SHOT WOULD THAT INSTANTLY MEAN I SHOOT DEER IN THE GUTS"

You told a client on a previous post to pinn the deer...

Contradicting yourself at every turn - your argument against head and neck shots is they leave too much room for error...

How much room for error is ther in the action of pinning a deer...pleanty is my presumption.

FTB

Edited by FightTheBan

I did on that occasion but you saw yourself how dead that deer was.

Still agood 4" circle kill zone.

I have shot deer in the head myself I have said that before.

I dont make a habit of this practice and its not right on every shot especially at the ranges which some of you sharpshooters(clowns)take em, My point is the trunk of an animal is larger and moves alot less when the animal isn't moving.

A pinning shot is fatal they will run alot less than standard boiler house

which i use on most occasions and am happy with that.

the deer will run and are always recovered.

Even gut shot animals are found and despatched with alot more reglarity then any injured head shot animal(when this happens).

I did on that occasion but you saw yourself how dead that deer was.

Still agood 4" circle kill zone.

I have shot deer in the head myself I have said that before.

I dont make a habit of this practice and its not right on every shot especially at the ranges which some of you sharpshooters(clowns)take em, My point is the trunk of an animal is larger and moves alot less when the animal isn't moving.

A pinning shot is fatal they will run alot less than standard boiler house

which i use on most occasions and am happy with that.

the deer will run and are always recovered.

Even gut shot animals are found and despatched with alot more reglarity then any injured head shot animal(when this happens).

Just becaus someone has a different opinion to yourself, doesnt make them a "clown". And if you call 100 yards long range sharpshooting then your standards must be fairly low.

Your 4inch kill zone is far smaller than the kill zone in any neck shot so I personally dont see the difference - the difference is if you miss the 4 inch on a neck shot chances are you will miss it completely. Miss your 4 inch target on your "pin" shots and your taking a leg or blowing the bottom out.

Just because your qualified on paper, it doesn't make you superior to me or the next man.

FTB

Guys please don't let this thread turn into a bitch fest. name calling thread,

now in saying a neck shot deer, where do you prefer on the neck...? as its a fairly long object, As said the head moves formost, so i tend to go low on the neck with a good target, i do take fairly high neck shots at close range...

And as stated qualifactions on paper mean nothing, i've seen hardened stalkers, with out paperwork that are truely awesome shots and there skill astounds me when knifework comes into play...

then you see a qualified stalker out and place 4 or 5 .270 or 30-06 rounds into an animal and its still runs...??????icon_eek.gif

We're all here to share our experience's, mistake's and our triumph's

Now i've not had a great year as you will see from my posts i've only taken 6, but due to ill health thats all i did get....

not good by any standards, but dead before they hit the ground... thats the way i want it to stay....

Snap.