High Velocity

Just zeroed the new scope on my brno 452 .22 lr, eley subs grouped in and immedieatley around the bull at 60 yards, moved target back to 100 yards and loaded mag with RWS Hvs, first 2 bang on just touching each side of the bull, I was well chuffed, next 3 were miles away!why?

is this the nature of high velocity .22 ammunition,?

if so is there a better cartridge than RWS Hvs that are more stable, cheers.

Edited by trappsy

could be powder variations, within the case... seating depth's. etc.. the list is endless...

but mainly some brands of .22lr ammo are very poor when it comes to uniformity of each case..

hope this helps.

Snap.

.22LR HV stuff isn't normally that unreliable. The target guys will make one hole groups at 100 yards.

The only thing is that at the extremes of their range they can be very prone to windage, a slight variation will make a huge difference.

It semms that you need to try every make of cartridge/shell that you can to find out what suits your rifle. My .22rf likes Eley Match, hates Stingers etc. I wouldn't write high velocity rounds off so soon, just keep trying different makes.

ft

I don't understand all these statements that .22LR HV rounds aren't accurate.

Go talk to a 3P shooter, or a biathlon competitor!

I can quite happily clover leaf a 3 round group of .22 LR HV's at 100 yards given favourable conditions (like a nice indoor range).

I don't understand all these statements that .22LR HV rounds aren't accurate.

Go talk to a 3P shooter, or a biathlon competitor!

I can quite happily clover leaf a 3 round group of .22 LR HV's at 100 yards given favourable conditions (like a nice indoor range).

You will be talking about something up to 1250(ISH) ft sec and solid I suspect...try a CCI Stinger and you will be lucky to get 3 in the same county at 100 yards!!

ATB!! :thumbs:

In theory the HV rounds should give better performance than the nurmal velocity ones. The main issue with .22 lr accuracy is the transition from super to sub sonic. That transonic zone causes all sorts of unpredictable flows around the bullet, and can knock it significantly off the intended course.

The HV (high and hyper) should still be supersonic at ranges up to about 100 yards, so should get over the problem. Of course some bullets will never be accurate, no matter how fast you chuck them, but if you get the right round you should be fine.

The subs seem to perform remarkably well, I often get better accuracy out round the 60 yard mark with subs than normal velocity rounds.

I wonder if the method of ignition is relevant to accuracy? The rimfire, by definition, gives an uneven burn of the charge. I wonder if striking the rim simultaneously in several places would give a more even burn and therefore better accuracy? I know that petrol engines run much smoother when they have doubled ignition systems, as the flame front is far more uniform!

Hmmm, wonder if anyone has ever tried it?

In theory the HV rounds should give better performance than the nurmal velocity ones. The main issue with .22 lr accuracy is the transition from super to sub sonic. That transonic zone causes all sorts of unpredictable flows around the bullet, and can knock it significantly off the intended course.

The HV (high and hyper) should still be supersonic at ranges up to about 100 yards, so should get over the problem. Of course some bullets will never be accurate, no matter how fast you chuck them, but if you get the right round you should be fine.

The subs seem to perform remarkably well, I often get better accuracy out round the 60 yard mark with subs than normal velocity rounds.

I wonder if the method of ignition is relevant to accuracy? The rimfire, by definition, gives an uneven burn of the charge. I wonder if striking the rim simultaneously in several places would give a more even burn and therefore better accuracy? I know that petrol engines run much smoother when they have doubled ignition systems, as the flame front is far more uniform!

Hmmm, wonder if anyone has ever tried it?

The ignition method you raise will have little or no effect by the time the bullet exits the barrel!

The twist rate of the barrel is significant, the .22lr was developed just after Noah took the animals away from the flood....it was never intended as a high velocity, modern powders tool...there lies the issue!!

Obviously different ammo performs differently whatever in each barrel, and many will eventually be able to find an acceptable HV round, but with the 1-16 twist (the majority of .22lr) and length/weight of many .22lr bullets, Sub sonic rules!! :thumbs::thumbs:

Just zeroed the new scope on my brno 452 .22 lr, eley subs grouped in and immedieatley around the bull at 60 yards, moved target back to 100 yards and loaded mag with RWS Hvs, first 2 bang on just touching each side of the bull, I was well chuffed, next 3 were miles away!why?

is this the nature of high velocity .22 ammunition,?

if so is there a better cartridge than RWS Hvs that are more stable, cheers.

OK

From my experience of .22 HV, try Winchester Lazer, I have used them in at least 4 different rifles, and they came in with excellent grouping in all cases.

I must say that I don't use any HV .22 rimfire these days, just Subsonic.

But the 'Lazer' where the best by a mile, only the 'new' CCI Velocitor were in the same class, but more expensive!

I think (my opinion only) is that a longer barrel 21"+ is an avantage with HV, my rifle (SAKO Finnfire Varmint) is cut-down to 16", and is a tack-driver with

Sub's.

Best of luck!!

AndyF