Mk6 Strikes again

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love it when a plan comes together.....Asked to remove a squirrel that raids a bird table by a customer....Mk 6 Fenn strikes again    

Well done   Im trapping rats for friend using my mk6 FENNS and mk4 FENNS and i much prefer the mk6s, more humane if set right.

Imbras and Jubys were discontinued for a couple of reasons - the rights to making both types of traps was continually shifted and designs changed slightly over time, eventually the holder of the right

Posted Images

nice catch but got to say that those fenn mk6,s are totally inhumane traps.Ive done trials on them on both squirrels and rabbits.I set a line of 75 fenns in pre baited tunnnels and checked the traps three tims a day and found that eight out of ten of the squirrels were still very much alive.I had similar results with rabbits and as for mink well they are cruel i had to use drounding wires on all me fenns when on a mink line.Fortunetly they have passed the 116 bodygrips which i use for everything now.Its about time this country woke up and banned those fenns they are a cruel trap totally out dated and should be in trap collections not set for animals to suffer...Thanks...P&G

nice catch but got to say that those fenn mk6,s are totally inhumane traps.Ive done trials on them on both squirrels and rabbits.I set a line of 75 fenns in pre baited tunnnels and checked the traps three tims a day and found that eight out of ten of the squirrels were still very much alive.I had similar results with rabbits and as for mink well they are cruel i had to use drounding wires on all me fenns when on a mink line.Fortunetly they have passed the 116 bodygrips which i use for everything now.Its about time this country woke up and banned those fenns they are a cruel trap totally out dated and should be in trap collections not set for animals to suffer...Thanks...P&G

Ihave thought that for a long time now ,the mark six deals with adult rabbits alright ,but its when you have smaller animals on the traps the problems start,i think the design is wrong for young rabbits and rats ,if the trap is in, a sloping hole, or is not level in its bed ,it will tend to throw smaller ,lighter things off,resulting in foul catches,i no longer set this trap for young rabbits,i to prefer the B G,with them ,the end result is usually fatal .

If there anyones opinion to be valued or taken in its P&G's.....

My findings with these, I've used both types of trap, the Mk6 Fenn and the bodygrips for rabbits what I find is using the 116 BG on runs for rabbits everyone was dead, either caught around the head/kneck or chest regions. Saying that I've caught squirrels in the same traps and had them caught around the mid/back region alive, even with trap placement and cubbys tight, you can never legislate for everything….The fenns I've had the odd catch around the kneck, were on checking the rabbits have been alive, most were dead. Even with bodygrips death may take minutes or longer..

This country has enough legislation regarding snaring, trapping, shooting, hunting in general without even more tightening up…The bodygrips and fenns are two very different traps that offer people versatility when trapping, theres places you can't use bodygrips were fenns are more effective and easier, the same as restricted areas were its easier to use bodygrips on runs rather than fight through undergrowth to set fenn after fenn.

My point being rabbits and squirrels are major pest species, and to be controlled we need as many legal options available to us.. theres already far too many restrictions and paper chains…

I agree though any trap should be as humane as possible to limit suffering to an absolute minimal, we owe them that… yes.gif

A breath of fresh air at last, for the first time in a long time it is nice to see a sensible and balanced responce to a thread!

Well done Mr B :thumbs:

Now thats out of the way, i have a mission of upmost importance, should you choose to accept this mission :laugh:

On a serious note, contrary to P&G's post, i have found the opposite with squirrels, however i am probably trapping in a different enviroment, so i am in no way trying to contradict his findings. I no longer use bodygrip traps for the greys, as i found a similar percentage were still alive in the bodygrips, trigger adjustments taken into consideration as well, also varying tunnel setups.

I know that when using the fenn, the mk6 is the real kiddy for the greys, but i have found in my location that mk4's do the job better than anything else i have tried, and i have been trying for a long, long, LONG time!

squirrel3.jpg

WELL .......... SOMETHINGS SADLY WRONG .......... :blink:

IAM FINDING MYSELF AGREEING WITH SOME OF THE POINTS OF JKs POST...................

PERSONALLY IVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE FENN ON SQUIRRELS ....... THOUGH THEY TEND TO BE UNDER POWERD FOR " LARGE " MINK .,......

AND ........ EVEN WITH BODYGRIPPERS SET CLOSE TO WATER I STILL USE A WIRE .........

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

P&G's point was refering to the mk6, he actually says the mk4 does a much better job in killing squirrels, preventing foul catches than the mk6...Same as if you use a #55bodygrip on squigs your going to have less foul catches than a 110 or 116 if your using them in any number, although theres ways to overcome the size issue with BG's..

WELL IAN ,

IVE NEVER HAD MUCH PROBLEM WITH FOUL CATCHES IN THE MK6...............

I FIND THE TUNNEL WITH A FENN CAN BE AS IMPORTANT AS THE TRAP ...................

THOUGH I DO AGREE TO A CERTAIN EXTENT WITH P&G ............ LARGER TRAPS THAT ARENT FUNNELING THE QUARRY INTO THE SWEET SPOT ARENT AS EFFECTIVE KILLERS ....... :thumbs:

I THINK IN THE UK ..... WITHOUT THE FENN ..........AT THE MOMENT WE WOULD BE VERY LIMITED AS TO SET PLACEMENT .......

PERSONALLY I THINK THE FENN COULD BE IMPROVED WITH ...................

STRONGER SPRINGS WHICH ARE REPLACEABLE , ................. THERE MUST BE TRAPS BEING USED WHICH ARE VERY UNDERPOWERD ............

IMPROVED KILLING BARS , POSSIBELY CURVED , ............ JUST AN IDEA ! ............. WHICH WOULD SIT OPEN LIKE THE RUBY ETC , THE ARMS WOULD HELP FUNNEL SMALL VERMIN INTO THE SWEET SPOT .......... AND OF A STRONGER DESIGN ......

LARGER TREADLE AREA COVERING THE SET BASE OF THE TRAP BETTER ..................

THE ABOVE WOULD BE ON MY WISH LIST ! ..... WHEATHER THEY WOULD IMPROVE OR WORK IN THE FENN ...... I DONT KNOW ........

I HAVENT GIVEN IT THAT MUCH THOUGHT !!!

WHAT DO YOU OTHER EXPERIENCED FENN USERS THINK ? ......

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

WELL IAN ,

IVE NEVER HAD MUCH PROBLEM WITH FOUL CATCHES IN THE MK6...............

I FIND THE TUNNEL WITH A FENN CAN BE AS IMPORTANT AS THE TRAP ...................

THOUGH I DO AGREE TO A CERTAIN EXTENT WITH P&G ............ LARGER TRAPS THAT ARENT FUNNELING THE QUARRY INTO THE SWEET SPOT ARENT AS EFFECTIVE KILLERS ....... :thumbs:

I THINK IN THE UK ..... WITHOUT THE FENN ..........AT THE MOMENT WE WOULD BE VERY LIMITED AS TO SET PLACEMENT .......

PERSONALLY I THINK THE FENN COULD BE IMPROVED WITH ...................

STRONGER SPRINGS WHICH ARE REPLACEABLE , ................. THERE MUST BE TRAPS BEING USED WHICH ARE VERY UNDERPOWERD ............

IMPROVED KILLING BARS , POSSIBELY CURVED , ............ JUST AN IDEA ! ............. WHICH WOULD SIT OPEN LIKE THE RUBY ETC , THE ARMS WOULD HELP FUNNEL SMALL VERMIN INTO THE SWEET SPOT .......... AND OF A STRONGER DESIGN ......

LARGER TREADLE AREA COVERING THE SET BASE OF THE TRAP BETTER ..................

THE ABOVE WOULD BE ON MY WISH LIST ! ..... WHEATHER THEY WOULD IMPROVE OR WORK IN THE FENN ...... I DONT KNOW ........

I HAVENT GIVEN IT THAT MUCH THOUGHT !!!

WHAT DO YOU OTHER EXPERIENCED FENN USERS THINK ? ......

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

A lot of people set fenns and check them the next day ,if they have made a catch it is usually dead,P&G said he was checking his traps THREE times a day and finding squirrels still alive,some years back i was trapping rabbits on a dissused railway ,i was using 40 fenns and ,checking FOUR times a day,big rabbits were dead,as were very small ones,those that came inbetween ,were often alive.Isometimes wonder,if ,people who swear by fenns would change there minds if they were setting this amount and checking4 times a day for about six weeks,i think there is plenty of power in the springs,its just delivered to the wrong area.

P&G's point was refering to the mk6, he actually says the mk4 does a much better job in killing squirrels, preventing foul catches than the mk6...Same as if you use a #55bodygrip on squigs your going to have less foul catches than a 110 or 116 if your using them in any number, although theres ways to overcome the size issue with BG's..

Ian I agree the #55 they would be an awesome trap for squirrels sadly only approved for rats and mice :whistling:

MICKY ,

I CAN SEE YOUR POINT ...... WITH THE FENNS ........

BUT IMO ..... THE SPRINGS ARE NOT STRONG ENOUGH , ESPECIALLY ON MINK ,........ :no:

SOMETHING I WAS PRE - WARNED ABOUT FROM BOTH P&G AND SNAREMAN ....... AND THROUGH EXPERIENCE FOUND TO BE TRUE

A FEW YRS AGO ...... I CAUGHT A LARGE SILVER HOB FERRET IN A MK6 .......... HE WAS CAUGHT WELL ....... YET UNHARMED ..........

I WENT ON TO WORK THIS FERRET FOR ANOTHER 4 SEASONS ......... THIS HOB WAS COMPARIBLE TO THE LARGE MINK IN MY AREA .........

NOW THIS TRAP THAT HELD THE HOB FERRET WASNT AN OLD WORN TRAP BY ANY MEANS ....... IMAGINE IF I WAS USING A TRAP WHICH HAS WORN SPRINGS ??? .......... GOING BACK TO MY SUGGESTION OF BEING ABLE TO CHANGE SPRINGS FOR NEW ONES WHEN THEY ARENT DELIVERING THE SAME PERFORMANCE ...........

YES I BELIVE THE JAWS COULD BE IMPROVED UPON ....... TO DELIVER , ..........

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

GREAT POST CHALKIE ,

AND ... THAT LOOKS TO BE A LOVERLY OLD FENN RABBIT TRAP ?

MY THOUGHTS FOR A TRAP WERE MORE AN UPSIDE DOWN TALPEX ... BUT WITH THE SCISSORS JOINED BY KILL BARS

NOW YOU FELLAS HAVE SET ME OFF ........

PASS THE PENCILS AND PAPER .......... IT COULD BE A LATE NIGHT :laugh:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING