Carl Williams

12 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Lol be like coursing hare  with a water pistol mate 

Honestly mate one run winter if dog didn't pull it would need carrying off field aussie mate hare just do laps till dog drops 

Open land  even happen on the lamp one run be done ?

I'm happy with mine doing 5hr shift on the rabbits.

• Like 1

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A line is only worth its name if it used extensively,...poor performers need to be removed and young stock should only be offered to men that can enter them sensibly, and test them to the full over a

Got to laugh...pulling up threads from 10 yrs back ...in the hope some mug blows some smoke up his arse? If he was the real deal...then he wouldn't of had a 10 yr break... dogs are a way of life

Problem with the lurcher game is that whilst it is full of passion and thrills,..it can also bring Heartache and sadness.. I'm sure we have all,..been there...? I've been around hunting dogs

Posted Images

12 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

I think pets and working dogs two different things. Anyone trying to money off bumping out litters of working dogs they only bred cos prices are up ..... not for me. But any genuine lad is a bit stuck now if they have any spare pups abs don’t want to punt them for top dollar. You always run the risk of them getting sold on. Best to plan it out abs only breed what has more homes than you will have pups. 

I just see two options mate as the latter won’t really work unless your known by loads of people all wanting pups at the same time if you ain’t got homes lined up either pts or if you can’t beat them join them demand the going rate for surplus pups trying to secure that forever home for the pup/pups. I think in these crazy times genuine working dog lads can only pray for small litters if there not in to dogs for financial gain because let’s admit it no one really wants to be putting pups to sleep as it’s not a nice thing to do 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, poxon said:

I just see two options mate as the latter won’t really work unless your known by loads of people all wanting pups at the same time if you ain’t got homes lined up either pts or if you can’t beat them join them demand the going rate for surplus pups trying to secure that forever home for the pup/pups. I think in these crazy times genuine working dog lads can only pray for small litters if there not in to dogs for financial gain because let’s admit it no one really wants to be putting pups to sleep as it’s not a nice thing to do 

Yeah let's have a few quid 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, poxon said:

much rather see pups going to good pet homes than bad working homes mate. 

• Like 8
30 minutes ago, fred90 said:

much rather see pups going to good pet homes than bad working homes mate. 

I’d rather good homes full stop but how can you tell the difference between the two unless the pups have already gone to them homes by then you ain’t got no say in it once the pups have left your possession 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Once you have taken someone's coin, for worker or pet home...then you have no say in what happens to them imo,you may get lucky and get the odd update...

Otherside is gifting to folks....how many actually stick to their word and do right by said animal?

I've been stung by both scenarios in the past?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Once you have taken someone's coin, for worker or pet home...then you have no say in what happens to them imo,you may get lucky and get the odd update...

Otherside is gifting to folks....how many actually stick to their word and do right by said animal?

I've been stung by both scenarios in the past?

Me to fella ??

?Yep, its a difficult one , that's for sure?

There is never a guarantee, that sold or gifted pups will have a long and happy life...

Personally, I feel that high-powered, performance dogs and other, serious minded tykes, are best placed in hands that know how to handle them....or problems can occur...

I remember once seeing a real, forward-looking Collie dog ..He was bred from good, strong eyed hill workers and had ended up on a big housing estate. The folk had been touring around the Welsh hills and had seen a hand-written sign advertising, 'Beautiful Border Collie Pups for Sale'...They had succumbed to the puppy dog syndrome and purchased the pup, for the kids...

Big mistake....

This poor , bemused, lost soul was not the type to stay on a chain or sit bored in a kennel, and accordingly he had been passed around to various homes, all who had said they would knock him into shape...?

Foolishly, I became involved and I called on a Shepherding friend to come and collect the animal...My mate took a good hard look at the critter and put him in the back of his truck...

He waved me goodbye, and as a parting shot said, 'I'll give him a fair go Phil, but if he don't come up to scratch, I'll shoot him'... Well, that's fair enough... Later, I did hear through the grapevine that the mental damage to the dog had already been done, and the end result was never going to be worth the effort. So,..that was that...

Sad, but true..

I am always concerned as to where I let my own cur dogs go ,..I have had failures,but very few pups have been, passed on. Possibly, in my dotage I am just too soft-hearted to be a breeder of working dogs,..I never used to be,..but I am now..

Anyway,..the truth of the matter is, what a man does with his own dogs is entirely a matter for his conscience, and his alone.....I am old school and subscribe to the adage of,.mind your own fecking business....End of story..?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, poxon said:

I do get what you’re saying. And it’s going to be hard with any kind of big litter, which obviously Lurchers can be prone to. But you keep saying “you’ve got to be known by loads of lads”, what counts as loads ? I’m pretty anti social, don’t like people very much and don’t associate with many dog lads, but still over the years I have probably come to know a dozen folk who are sound and who between them probably know a small handful more. Obviously timing is a difficult thing as often it’s not right time for a pup for everyone at same time. But if the dogs really are good, real good animals, and it’s something you think through and plan, it’s entirely possible that most or all of the pups go to good working homes. This is just Lurchers as well, I don’t think I’ve ever come across a litter of well bred terriers where there weren’t more homes than pups! 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

I do get what you’re saying. And it’s going to be hard with any kind of big litter, which obviously Lurchers can be prone to. But you keep saying “you’ve got to be known by loads of lads”, what counts as loads ? I’m pretty anti social, don’t like people very much and don’t associate with many dog lads, but still over the years I have probably come to know a dozen folk who are sound and who between them probably know a small handful more. Obviously timing is a difficult thing as often it’s not right time for a pup for everyone at same time. But if the dogs really are good, real good animals, and it’s something you think through and plan, it’s entirely possible that most or all of the pups go to good working homes. This is just Lurchers as well, I don’t think I’ve ever come across a litter of well bred terriers where there weren’t more homes than pups! 

It wasn’t a trick answer or out mate it was pretty self explanatory what I meant mate to get a large litter or any litter in to decent working homes you’d have to be (known) as being a good dog man that keeps good dogs not everyone who you know would all be wanting a pup at the same time your left with the two options like I said if you can’t beat them join them (sell them) or cull them thats the only one option there that gives you the purest of piece of mind an that’s cull that’s the only way your staying in your own lane an clear minded about the litter 

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, poxon said:

It wasn’t a trick answer or out mate it was pretty self explanatory what I meant mate to get a large litter or any litter in to decent working homes you’d have to be (known) as being a good dog man that keeps good dogs not everyone who you know would all be wanting a pup at the same time your left with the two options like I said if you can’t beat them join them (sell them) or cull them thats the only one option there that gives you the purest of piece of mind an that’s cull that’s the only way your staying in your own lane an clear minded about the litter 

Aye I know it wasn’t a trick question mate and I’m not being funny. Just my thinking is this - if you breed a decent litter there is usually a fair bit of thinking and planning that goes into it. Assuming you have any mates who are serious into running their dogs, which I’d think most folk have a few ? Maybe not, but I’ve a few and I’m chronically anti social ? then my thinking was, if you’ve planned the breeding and the dogs are decent etc, you’d be able to put a few about with your circle? obviously the litters of 10, 13 etc are a bit of a nightmare. But 6,7, 8 pups, you’d like to think you’d be able to home them in good places? if not like You said, what do you do ? Not good at all culling healthy pups, wouldn’t be for me, and selling them at £1000 a piece is out to, as is selling to a random off internet selling site for £200 as they sell it on. Hard one isn’t it. But then again, how many times do you see a real nice litter and the answer is ..... no spare pups, with lots after them. So some folk do manage to breed quality litters and get them into good homes. Me, I just rely on being given pups by folk who know what they doing  ? 

• Like 3