Carl Williams

1 hour ago, Big Ron said:

Yes totally agree , only way to confidently produce workers consistent.

im afraid as most people know very little on the subject  of line breeding it’s like anything if your not sure  it must be wrong and bad .?

Think you boys have jumped the gun your on about continuing a already existing line not starting a line from scratch ie the blokes original post of starting a working line of whippet x greyhound long dogs he can say is his own ?? All lines of working dogs start at the beginning 

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A line is only worth its name if it used extensively,...poor performers need to be removed and young stock should only be offered to men that can enter them sensibly, and test them to the full over a

Got to laugh...pulling up threads from 10 yrs back ...in the hope some mug blows some smoke up his arse? If he was the real deal...then he wouldn't of had a 10 yr break... dogs are a way of life

Problem with the lurcher game is that whilst it is full of passion and thrills,..it can also bring Heartache and sadness.. I'm sure we have all,..been there...? I've been around hunting dogs

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

It’s true or any type of animal, and is something I find it odd that people don’t get, as I come at it from a farming perspective.

With sheep and cattle we do a lot of performance recording and linking between sire and dam and offspring, and most traits are massively inheritable obviously, with relatively  quick gains to be made. Stuff like lameness, litter size, growth rates, maternal ability, muscle depth, back fat etc etc are all measured and when you find a line which carry’s positive traits for one or more of those you breed toward it, while keeping an eye on what your losing out on. My sheep are very efficient and good, and they are in bred to f**k, father to daughter, sibling to sibling etc etc, but lots of father to daughter and to grand daughter. Same with anything, not all dogs/sheep/horses/birds are equal to the same despite how they look, and when you get hold of a genetically superior beast you try and loco those genes in by breeding tight until you hit a problem abs then go from there. Also certain genes are present in some animals and not others (ie inverdale or gdf9 genes in sheep), the same will be true of dogs, but we don’t study it enough. Some dogs will carry certain genes which predispose them to being better at what we do, by line breeding to that animal and keeping tight, you’re trying to breed that gene onto both sides of the line and lock it in, as that’s when the real genetic jumps are made. 

Is that linebreeding mate or inbreeding 

I'd say father daughter siblings is inbreeding I think mate ? 

1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

It’s a bit different with sheep because killing stuff is a lot less of an issue. Also there are several potential sites mating in a mob with all of their previous mates from previous years, plus the off spring from various years, and some new less related  sires. But I don’t think it really matters how close you go if it’s working, as long as you can throw in some new good blood if it goes wrong. Also with stock I’m breeding every year. 

1 hour ago, Big Ron said:

Are you line bred too Poxon or bambagasgon off Uni Challenge ? ?

Bit long winded but I think I got the point mate ??

Basically if there’s a real good animal be it dog or bitch, try to get it both sides of a mating and also in a few places each side, and away you go. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

It’s a bit different with sheep because killing stuff is a lot less of an issue. Also there are several potential sites mating in a mob with all of their previous mates from previous years, plus the off spring from various years, and some new less related  sires. But I don’t think it really matters how close you go if it’s working, as long as you can throw in some new good blood if it goes wrong. Also with stock I’m breeding every year. 

I haven't got a clue about sheep mate lol I always wondered though now I know they ok to breed amongst there self 

Just now, mC HULL said:

I haven't got a clue about sheep mate lol I always wondered though now I know they ok to breed amongst there self 

You get problems, and got to be careful not to get them too much, like under shot jaws etc. But my worst ones are minor, a wierd like curled abs of tail and random black patches. So those don’t matter. But I am talking a mob of about 1200 ewes, so there’s a lot of spunk flying about ? 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

You get problems, and got to be careful not to get them too much, like under shot jaws etc. But my worst ones are minor, a wierd like curled abs of tail and random black patches. So those don’t matter. But I am talking a mob of about 1200 ewes, so there’s a lot of spunk flying about ? 

I've seen dogs to inbred mate bad skin cancers fits 

But my bitches gr dam was farther daughter so f**k knows lol

53 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

It’s line breeding when all goes to plan and called inbreeding if it don’t ?

Edited by Big Ron
  • Haha 2
38 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I've seen dogs to inbred mate bad skin cancers fits 

But my bitches gr dam was farther daughter so f**k knows lol

Just out of interest and nothing else who keep dogs from a line on here be it your own or someone else’s ?

Hi fellow feidsports enthusiasts my name is Carl williams I am based in the Rhondda valleys of South Wales and yes I bred some of the very best whippet x greyhounds longdogs hybrids in the 1980s and1990s they were bred in order to catch rabbits and course and claimed some of the strongest brown winter time hares.They very often claimed a considerable harvest of freshly lamped copies on a dirty dark night and conditions were bang on for the lamping enthusiasts period.Those who give verbal about the dogs I once bred need to bite the bullet because its a matter of each to their own. Yours in sport my friends 

1 minute ago, Big Ron said:

Just out of interest and nothing else who keep dogs from a line on here be it your own or someone else’s ?

I don't have a line mate both mine bought in  ? none really close but linebred 

• Haha 1