Carl Williams

8 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

The best thing about this post is it’s reminded me of some of the folk who were on here ten plus years ago. There were some great folk and some great dogs and some great posts. 

So true mate nothings change on here just the older guys have got wiser and chipped lol. Just us mid drifters that are still here ??

• Like 1

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A line is only worth its name if it used extensively,...poor performers need to be removed and young stock should only be offered to men that can enter them sensibly, and test them to the full over a

Got to laugh...pulling up threads from 10 yrs back ...in the hope some mug blows some smoke up his arse? If he was the real deal...then he wouldn't of had a 10 yr break... dogs are a way of life

Problem with the lurcher game is that whilst it is full of passion and thrills,..it can also bring Heartache and sadness.. I'm sure we have all,..been there...? I've been around hunting dogs

Posted Images

There's a chap in Barnsley called Paul Who used to breed this X not for money but for his own use. A think his second name was gardener. Nice fella alot of knowledge. Used to work down the pits had the breed going from late 70s upto beginning of 2000 when I got my first dog off him. Nice brindle dog he was c**t for jumping on side pinching my toast ??

• Like 1
10 hours ago, dytkos said:

If it's the same Carl Williams I knew in the l 80s, his dogs burned brightt for a few years then he lost interest for whatever reason.

Cheers, D.

He had a whippet Bowline 25plus years ago .I had a small blue brindle dog out of him to a greyhound. Was awful slow to start but when it came together was an amazing catch dog fast agile with amazing reflexes. Was great bushing with terriers my mate lurcher wouldn't run with him . Came to a sticky ending hitting an oak tree chasing a rabbit was just to fast to get away with it. Broke his neck 

I think breeding dogs is easy just about anyone can breed dogs or put litters on the ground in any numbers but to breed good ones is the hardest thing based on your good might not be someone else’s good regardless of how good a quality you think the parents are it’s all if matings gel I think that’s were people go wrong because they breed for other peoples needs rather than there own an want to stand out in the crowd as a good dog man that breeds good dogs but I don’t it works like that I think it’s far better to breed worker to worker for ones own needs of work when he or she needs replacement dogs to bring on than to go commercial without being registered as a breeder when it’s for your self you want the best you pick the best to breed an be the best for your needs you wouldn’t add anything with any issues of being substandard to your standards for your needs you want dogs with good form even high than your own if possible the problem is if you breed for the kings shilling that’s when you hit a brick wall many a person has bred from good dogs there happy with because they want a litter or to carry on a type then hit a wall with standard dropping lower than they got then there breed out that dog to produce an even  lower standard I think in this game if you got a standard of dog you need/keep never settle for less or move your goal post to suit but be honest with your self if it’s a sows ear an not a silk purse 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, poxon said:

I think breeding dogs is easy just about anyone can breed dogs or put litters on the ground in any numbers but to breed good ones is the hardest thing based on your good might not be someone else’s good regardless of how good a quality you think the parents are it’s all if matings gel I think that’s were people go wrong because they breed for other peoples needs rather than there own an want to stand out in the crowd as a good dog man that breeds good dogs but I don’t it works like that I think it’s far better to breed worker to worker for ones own needs of work when he or she needs replacement dogs to bring on than to go commercial without being registered as a breeder when it’s for your self you want the best you pick the best to breed an be the best for your needs you wouldn’t add anything with any issues of being substandard to your standards for your needs you want dogs with good form even high than your own if possible the problem is if you breed for the kings shilling that’s when you hit a brick wall many a person has bred from good dogs there happy with because they want a litter or to carry on a type then hit a wall with standard dropping lower than they got then there breed out that dog to produce an even  lower standard I think in this game if you got a standard of dog you need/keep never settle for less or move your goal post to suit but be honest with your self if it’s a sows ear an not a silk purse 

That took some reading mate ??

• Haha 3

Remember the name Bowline back in the day and the cross was popular back in the day around these parts of South Yorkshire and it's a cross with no litter wastage as all offspring will be capable of catching rabbits in short distances unlike some first x collie/greys i have seen.

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, Big Ron said:

That took some reading mate ??

And what a pile of dross it was.. line breeding from top drawer stuff... Not throw 2 workers together..ok you might get a pup or 2 that will be ok..you want the best you breed from the best, a long line of lurchers that's been proven and that produce there Ilk and are related...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, poxon said:

Good post.

I think one of the issues is, depending upon what you’ve seen etc depends on what you judge as a good dog. Yes it does only need to please you to a point but usually Lurchers have fairly big litters and you have to home the rest of the pups, and hope they have a good home. Real good stock is easier to home and more likely (you’d hope) to stay in a home, than average stock. A lot of folk let sentiment get in the way, they love their dog and want a pup from it, but really they could save the hassle and save ending up with the rest of the litter, and just buy a pip in. With regard to not worrying about anyone else, again that’s fine, but you got to home the rest of the litter, so they sort of need to be useful to other folk to. 

My old man once said to me “breeding working dogs is all about taking the best you have got to the best you can get, and if you can buy in better then don’t let sentiment get in the way and just save yourself the hassle and do that”

• Like 6
4 hours ago, stop.end said:

And what a pile of dross it was.. line breeding from top drawer stuff... Not throw 2 workers together..ok you might get a pup or 2 that will be ok..you want the best you breed from the best, a long line of lurchers that's been proven and that produce there Ilk and are related...

Yes totally agree , only way to confidently produce workers consistent.

im afraid as most people know very little on the subject  of line breeding it’s like anything if your not sure  it must be wrong and bad .?

1 minute ago, Big Ron said:

Yes totally agree , only way to confidently produce workers consistent.

im afraid as most people know very little on the subject  of line breeding it’s like anything if your not sure  it must be wrong and bad .?

It’s true or any type of animal, and is something I find it odd that people don’t get, as I come at it from a farming perspective.

With sheep and cattle we do a lot of performance recording and linking between sire and dam and offspring, and most traits are massively inheritable obviously, with relatively  quick gains to be made. Stuff like lameness, litter size, growth rates, maternal ability, muscle depth, back fat etc etc are all measured and when you find a line which carry’s positive traits for one or more of those you breed toward it, while keeping an eye on what your losing out on. My sheep are very efficient and good, and they are in bred to f**k, father to daughter, sibling to sibling etc etc, but lots of father to daughter and to grand daughter. Same with anything, not all dogs/sheep/horses/birds are equal to the same despite how they look, and when you get hold of a genetically superior beast you try and loco those genes in by breeding tight until you hit a problem abs then go from there. Also certain genes are present in some animals and not others (ie inverdale or gdf9 genes in sheep), the same will be true of dogs, but we don’t study it enough. Some dogs will carry certain genes which predispose them to being better at what we do, by line breeding to that animal and keeping tight, you’re trying to breed that gene onto both sides of the line and lock it in, as that’s when the real genetic jumps are made. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

It’s true or any type of animal, and is something I find it odd that people don’t get, as I come at it from a farming perspective.

With sheep and cattle we do a lot of performance recording and linking between sire and dam and offspring, and most traits are massively inheritable obviously, with relatively  quick gains to be made. Stuff like lameness, litter size, growth rates, maternal ability, muscle depth, back fat etc etc are all measured and when you find a line which carry’s positive traits for one or more of those you breed toward it, while keeping an eye on what your losing out on. My sheep are very efficient and good, and they are in bred to f**k, father to daughter, sibling to sibling etc etc, but lots of father to daughter and to grand daughter. Same with anything, not all dogs/sheep/horses/birds are equal to the same despite how they look, and when you get hold of a genetically superior beast you try and loco those genes in by breeding tight until you hit a problem abs then go from there. Also certain genes are present in some animals and not others (ie inverdale or gdf9 genes in sheep), the same will be true of dogs, but we don’t study it enough. Some dogs will carry certain genes which predispose them to being better at what we do, by line breeding to that animal and keeping tight, you’re trying to breed that gene onto both sides of the line and lock it in, as that’s when the real genetic jumps are made. 

Are you line bred too Poxon or bambagasgon off Uni Challenge ? ?

Bit long winded but I think I got the point mate ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 4