Mallard on the stubbles

Well lads,

I have just read a book called rough shooting in ireland by douglas butler (excellent book) and in it he tells tales of shooting duck (mainly mallard) over stubbles both at dawn and dusk. I shoot on land that grows both barley and wheat and is not far from a large shoot that rears plenty of mallard each year. So my question is how do i know where the duck are feeding, Is there a chance of them feeding on my patch (it is bordered by a smaller river that might act as a flight line) and is barley or wheat better?

please give me any advice you may have and check out my other post in the wildfowling forum.

thanks lads,

the boy

Edited by blackstairs boy

BB, I always get some good shooting off stubbles. The secret is doing a bit of a reccy in the evening. Its suprising the amount of birds that will turn up if they are interested. Last season had a pack of 30 - 40 mallard wheeling round a barley stubble, got laid down with some straw covering us, a few deeks and calls and we had a good few :clapper:

• 1 month later...

what to do is,if theres not alot of water lying around,flood your fields and get the duck coming into the flashes,where they can dive for the grain and alot of it will come to the surface also,if you are not allowed to flood the field then wait for a bit of rain till you get some flashes,chuck a few deeks in and sit on your malllard call and pull some in. thats only if theres duck in the area,your best bet would be wild duck though reared mallard will rarley move from the comforts of there own pond,where they are fed every and are as fat as butter.