GENERAL LICENCES

The "Conservation of Birds" refers to nest robbing swine like Magpies! These birds will attack song birds nests and so it is beneficial to the wild bird population to have these nest robbing miscreants shot! Therefore it is legal to shoot Magpies as you are helping to conserve wild song birds by reducing the Magpie population.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nice one sean mate heres another link which puts all the above on one page http://www.basc.org.uk/en/shooting/general-licences.cfm   but dont forget these can change very often so please keep an

You dont have to "apply" for one mate, but you do have to abide by them. As long as you are legally entitled to shoot on the land you are on and meet the requirenments of the General Licences then yo

the current general licences   QUICK REFFERENCE   ENGLAND   NORTHEN IRELAND   WALES   SCOTLAND   please familiarise yourself with them......they are different , depending on your location.

• 4 months later...

The main thing you must remember is one of the stipulations of the licence's is that you must have read it so download the relevant licence for your area and put it in your favourites you must show that you have tried non lethal methods first as in you've tried scarecrows etc and you have had to resort to more extreme methods, if you go out and are challenged you have the info you need to fight your corner.

• 4 months later...

I'm on the tip of getting a great permission ( through my mother of all people) she had talked to a guy with loads of land about me, he has said to pop down but asked if I had a vermin license I guess he is talking about a general license, he has feral pigeon rat and rabbit he wants controlling what I's the license I need how much do they cost what's involved in getting them!

I'm on the tip of getting a great permission ( through my mother of all people) she had talked to a guy with loads of land about me, he has said to pop down but asked if I had a vermin license I guess he is talking about a general license, he has feral pigeon rat and rabbit he wants controlling what I's the license I need how much do they cost what's involved in getting them!

Have a read Pete...............http://www.basc.org.uk/en/shooting/general-licences.cfm

• Like 1

Have read that previously but still confused on which one I should apply for out of the lists on the website, sorry if I have missed something and being an idiot

General licences are issued by government agencies to provide a legal basis for people to carry out a range of activities relating to wildlife. By definition you do not need to apply for general licences but you are required by law to abide by their terms and conditions. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Cheers I have just printed them all off, printed a few copies if basc guidance documents and all my membership/ insurance documents along with permission template from here I'll go meet the guy and waft it all infront of him in a pretty folder. Wish me luck lol

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I just wondered whether anyone could clarify a point for me regarding the "conservation" part of the general licences. I have setup a bird feeder that used to attract robins and other song birds, but now it only attracts tons of magpies, crows, rooks and woodpigeons. I have no evidence that they are damaging the other birds, but the smaller birds obviously do not come to the feeder anymore. Am I then allowed to shoot the corvidae or is this not in the spirit of the general licence?

• Like 1

I just wondered whether anyone could clarify a point for me regarding the "conservation" part of the general licences. I have setup a bird feeder that used to attract robins and other song birds, but now it only attracts tons of magpies, crows, rooks and woodpigeons. I have no evidence that they are damaging the other birds, but the smaller birds obviously do not come to the feeder anymore. Am I then allowed to shoot the corvidae or is this not in the spirit of the general licence?

:hmm::hmm: That's a fair point and a grey area, I have my own views but will look into it further as I suggest you do and come to your own conclusion.

For arguments sake, as you have noticed a decline in the songbird population at your feeder an idea would be to change the feeding method for the types of bird your trying to attract. A bird table will attract maggies and pigeons, as will scattering food all over the floor.

Different feeding methods and foods attract different birds.

Location of the feeder? From the list of visiting species you say and in abundant numbers are you on a flight path or close to a roost? Is it your garden? Are you within the law to shoot in your garden?

Are there corvids nesting in your garden? If you removed them would it have any detriment to the local bird population?

The list and questions go on.

I'm probably reading this wrong as i am not a legal boffin but i was puzzled by the wording of the license. I was looking at 2.(ii)a-d. This license then says it is legal to use a semi-automatic weapon and "inhumane" cage etc under given circumstances? Can anyone clarify whether this is correct and it is listing exceptions as my uninformed instinct was that there should be a "not permitted" between (ii) and (a ). I'm probably wrong but i thought even trap cages had to conform to welfare standards and semi-autos were definitely on the naughty list.....
WHAT THE LICENCE PERMITS
2. For the purposes set out in paragraph 1 above, and subject to the terms and conditions, below, this licence permits:
(i) Authorised persons to kill or take any of the wild birds listed at (a) and (b ) below, to take, damage or destroy their nests or to take or destroy their eggs:
(a) (species list removed by me for brevity)
(b ) (as above)
(ii) Authorised persons acting under subparagraph (2)(i) above:
(a) to use a semi-automatic weapon;
(b ) to use a cage trap, the dimensions of which do not satisfy the requirements of section 8(1) of
the Act;
(c ) to use any hand held or hand propelled net to take birds whilst not in flight; and
(d) in relation to the killing or taking of Feral Pigeon (Columba livia) only:
i. to use any device for illuminating a target or any sighting device for night shooting;
ii. to use any form of artificial lighting or any mirror or other dazzling device.

Countryside act 1981 for reference to 8(1)
If any person keeps or confines any bird whatever in any cage or other receptacle which is not sufficient in height, length or breadth to permit the bird to stretch its wings freely, he shall be guilty of an offenceF39. . .

• IanB unpinned this topic