im thinking of maybe keeping a small aviary

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any lads from scotland keep them? i have never kept them so im a complete novice.but any tips or pics would be great of the set up i would need.

WHAT BIRDS DO YOU WANT TO KEEP?

always fancied keeping british birds mate.

It's vital you get proper documentation when you buy captive bred natives mate, that's my tip! :thumbs:

cheers mate im a few months away from actually attempting it.gonna get new shed for poleys and add a aviary onto it.i want to find out all i can 1st see whats involved.yea when i was a kid i had a cpl of uncles who kept em they used to trap birds.it was prob illegal back then certainly now though.but yea i woulod defo do it properly and legal

It's vital you get proper documentation when you buy captive bred natives mate, that's my tip! thumbs.gif

Are they rules on that too Mal.This country will grinde to a halt on red tape one day.wallbash.gif

lol yea i know what you mean.im pretty sure mal is spot on though.british finches are heavily protected.tbh i agree for once you just dont see the birds in your garden like you did years ago.dont know how much thats due to cats or idiots with airguns.

Scothunter like many things in life the British Birds are a learning curve, and bloody addictive! :icon_eek: But if you're going to do it, you have got to do it right. Personally i would start off with a couple of easy breeds such as siskins and greenfinches. Maybe some chaffys too.

Forget all that old fashioned nonsense with trapping, make sure your birds are captive bred. Not just for the legal side of things but so you have a better chance of breeding them. Believe me when i say those wild birds will just spend all day bouncing off the wire. They can't be observed acting naturally and they won't really breed.If you buy a bird have a look at its ring, see if there is signs of damage on it. If there is and you get a visit you will be prosecuted.

Contary to popular belief it is not illegal to own or breed or give away unrung birds. But if the shit hits the fan the RSPB will try every trick in the book to get some sort of conviction and you will have to prove that not only is the parents of your birds captive bred but also the grandparents too. So sometimes ringing is the easiest option but acccidents do happen with rings getting caught in the wire. I lost my female Blackcap through such an injury. Believe me whenii say i was gutted. I was devestated. And that was down to rings.

Im sure if you have any questions there are some knowledgeable people on here that will give you sound information. Good luck... :victory: JD

Thanks darcy thats just the kind of info im trying to get feedback on.yea i would only keep captive bred birds and as i said just want to start of in a small way till i learn more.so id be keeping the easier birds and nothing that takes special care to start with.ive always loved watching the diffrent finches that used to visit my garden and always had the idea of keeping some one day.well thanks again for the reply and its well noted.

scott

It's vital you get proper documentation when you buy captive bred natives mate, that's my tip! thumbs.gif

Are they rules on that too Mal.This country will grinde to a halt on red tape one day.wallbash.gif

:yes: A while back I posted a link to a case where a bloke got banned from driving & lost his car due to not having the correct documentation with his UK birds....

Edited by maltenby

Scothunter like many things in life the British Birds are a learning curve, and bloody addictive! :icon_eek: But if you're going to do it, you have got to do it right. Personally i would start off with a couple of easy breeds such as siskins and greenfinches. Maybe some chaffys too.

Forget all that old fashioned nonsense with trapping, make sure your birds are captive bred. Not just for the legal side of things but so you have a better chance of breeding them. Believe me when i say those wild birds will just spend all day bouncing off the wire. They can't be observed acting naturally and they won't really breed.If you buy a bird have a look at its ring, see if there is signs of damage on it. If there is and you get a visit you will be prosecuted.

Contary to popular belief it is not illegal to own or breed or give away unrung birds. But if the shit hits the fan the RSPB will try every trick in the book to get some sort of conviction and you will have to prove that not only is the parents of your birds captive bred but also the grandparents too. So sometimes ringing is the easiest option but acccidents do happen with rings getting caught in the wire. I lost my female Blackcap through such an injury. Believe me whenii say i was gutted. I was devestated. And that was down to rings.

Im sure if you have any questions there are some knowledgeable people on here that will give you sound information. Good luck... :victory: JD

british birds are not really worth all the hassle that goes with them imo

• 2 weeks later...

my advice for a new starter would be to get a dozen caneries you cant beat the sound of em on full song when your sat in the garden on a summers evening ...move em into a bird house over winter and they`ll cheer any winter morn ...thumbs.gif

Edited by the_stig