best small lurcher

Well I think it could well be as the old saying goes, you get out what you put in. The beddy crosses I've seen were owned and worked by what could be said as 'less than demanding' owners. Who knows?  But it put me off beddy crosses lol

• Like 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2 beddy crosses 3rd night on the lamp  like any cross right breeding you won't go long with any cross 

your better with a small lurcher mate. straight whippets are good little dogs but if your gonna give it plenty of all round work your better to get a terrier cross whippet   Ozzy wheaten /whippet a

3/4 Whippet 1/4 Beddy...............

Posted Images

my little bitch just under 23 does well on r/h/d 

what x would you men that a doing the big bags of rabbits recommend  iv done around 30 with her a few times but the tank stars to empty also had another very good rabbit dog and hes limit was around 30,do you think this more depends on the land your running i mostly run fairly good sized grazing fields and seed fields,or isit haveing the right x for the job that can run all night as iv defo pushed dogs to there limit a fair few times,id like to get her on some ground were big numbers can be taken to see how she fairs up,if i had room i wouldn't mind having a out and out rabbit dog that was for that job only  but by that i mean something that can run all night not one thats fast with no wind that would kill 10/10 ect but be f****d after that,what x would you recommend  

mini5.jpg

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, LurcherLad94 said:

what x would you men that a doing the big bags of rabbits recommend  iv done around 30 with her a few times but the tank stars to empty also had another very good rabbit dog and hes limit was around 30,do you think this more depends on the land your running i mostly run fairly good sized grazing fields and seed fields,or isit haveing the right x for the job that can run all night as iv defo pushed dogs to there limit a fair few times,id like to get her on some ground were big numbers can be taken to see how she fairs up,if i had room i wouldn't mind having a out and out rabbit dog that was for that job only  but by that i mean something that can run all night not one thats fast with no wind that would kill 10/10 ect but be f****d after that,what x would you recommend  

mini5.jpg

nice

On 20 June 2018 at 22:49, shaaark said:

Well I think it could well be as the old saying goes, you get out what you put in. The beddy crosses I've seen were owned and worked by what could be said as 'less than demanding' owners. Who knows?  But it put me off beddy crosses lol

There's lots to be said its what you put I to any working animal ,but I can assure you stamina wind call it wt yas like its bred in em or born in em ,yas can only get out what's in there no fitness will change the animals end game.atb bil

• Like 1

a reverse lurcher type may fix  things I find reverse types back to good coursing stuff gives a good strong stamina packed typed or coneys,,don't get to hung up on breed types fund something that grafts well and try it fa all theses big bags from north ta south ,there his one thing in common they are  plenty go at..in all fairness yas doing ok killing thirties on winter wheat .yas sometimes need to lose to gain with jukels.atb bill

i got a first x beddy/grey 21ats they a bit tougher  than a beddy/whippet but if you want sumat smaller beddy/whippet is the path to go ? I also got a beddy./grey x whippet she a great ferreting dog she 20 ats. but if you read the c weekly got article by dave slaight last week on whippet crosses mainly with collie blood and some pics of some cracking looking little pups ?

8 hours ago, LurcherLad94 said:

mini5.jpg

Cracking dog mate,I  don't worry about numbers, your dog, dog's sound like there doing just fine. I haven't taken 30 coneys in a night for quite a few seasons now, got to remember a dog that takes 5,6,9 coney off fields were they is no numbers is probably doing just as good of a job as  dog's taken big bags on land with bunnys every were. Don't get blinded by numbers when dog's are doing just fine. Atb 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, billhardy said:

There's lots to be said its what you put I to any working animal ,but I can assure you stamina wind call it wt yas like its bred in em or born in em ,yas can only get out what's in there no fitness will change the animals end game.atb bil

Not disputing that bill. I'm saying the beddy crosses I seen at work were probably not trained properly enough on recall etc as youngsters, as the owners weren't really that bothererd. And that lack of training combined with their superb noses, made lamping with them far less than pleasurable. Nothing to do with wind or stamina.

Just to add, the two worst I seen on the lamp, were two of the best, of any type, I've seen in the day

I wouldn't get to involved in naming particular types knowing they will throw the size your after,I had little 21tts bitch,saluki/grey x collie/ whip,would pick up rabbits in any small horse paddock round here,long as it's fully committed right to the fence line,well bred from right Dam and  sire you will have the right dog imo.

Edited by Jackknife