a little help?

hey all i am a new member here and you guys are the people who ive been advised to aproach with a question ive asked on another forum, i hope you can all give me some serious answers and humour me, if you think it is not applicable. thanks

a couple of friends and i are looking at buying into a couple of racing dogs for a bit of fun, and hopefully a bit of extra play money to spend on beer.

now i fully understand that the conditioning regime of a greyhound, compared to a Apbt is very different due to the fact that an Apbt comes off the chain plump and healthy and has a reasonably short time to get up to its peak potential, where a greyhound is constantly worked and will be racing upto twice a week.

as well as that a greyhound wouldnt have any where near the wind of an apbt, as a greyhounds main job is very short and intense, as a Apbt's can be drawn out over hours at a time.

so with the main two differences aside , i am thinking that as with most other sports, in regards too the athlete, different sports use different methods, and mixing methods and trying someone elses aspect, can greatly help an athlete see things from a different perspective, and perform on a better level.

i do not expect everyone to know what is involved in the regular keep of a racing greyhound, but what opinions does everyone have in regards to what parts of a typical Apbt keep, would help if transfered over to racing greyhounds?

the dogs we are thinking about are going to be keept and conditioned/trained by a trainer elswhere , but because i have a bit of experience with canine nutrition[i used to own a dog food store] and apbt conditioning i will still play a big part on keeping an eye on the dogs and their performance level.

not looking for very serious answers just some ideas you all have on what you think could benefit when transfered

What sports do you do with your APBT's?

due to living arangments in the past i am down to one dog, but ive done agility work, weight pulling, and a bit of hunting with my old stag hound, and the apbt working together.

i had even done some conformation stuff but it wasnt for me, im dont like the idea of a dog prancing around a ring and some fella whos never worked a dog telling me its not upto standard.

knowing the history of the breed i usually follow an eight to twelve week productive keep which consists of slatmill work, minimal swimming, and lots of running hand walking the dogs and plenty of flirt pole and spring pole work.

i concentrate alot on working the dog as play as obviously a dog who is a partner and not just some workhorse for the handler. a dog with a close bond is obviously going to work alot harder for you and in an event like weight pull you are in close range with your dog.

take note that my current dog is ten years old and is no longer worked shes just staying fit and settling into being a house dog and enjoy her time left as a pet.

i am not looking at jumping into the racing thing in any way this is something i would like to do plenty of research on before jumping into something i have no experience in.

the fact that i have over ten years under my belt with heavy conditioning of Apbt,s and a few years hunting in australia with my father, i am hoping that more the apbt conitioning keep will help me transfer what i know over to the greyhound side of things.

this is the first step i am taking and will be drawn out over a while until i feel i am knowledgable enough to take it on.

i know quite a few decent greyhound owners and we will be doing a visit of them all in the next two weeks to have a chat about what is the best way to go about it.

please i am looking for any serious answers, and if constructive critisism is in order fire away, i am thick skinned and dish out a fair bit of my own tough love in the forums i frequent on the Apbt.

i am in no way comparing the breeds but i am looking at in the way of old the Apbt is a very finely tuned athlete and the ways of the old dog men of the past were very very good at conditioning the dogs to the very best of the ability.

i See the greyhound as a very similar finely tuned athlete hence why im hoping if and when we decide to get into this my experience would be of a huge benefit compared to someone with little to no knowledge.

thanks, Junkyard.

Glad your thick skinned :clapper: if your putting your greyhound with a trainer, look for one with a proven track record :thumbs: and leave it to him :thumbs: afterall he's managed so far without your input and he/she's getting results for his owners down to his/her knowledge of what works

Y.I.S Leeview

Glad your thick skinned :clapper: if your putting your greyhound with a trainer, look for one with a proven track record :thumbs: and leave it to him :thumbs: afterall he's managed so far without your input and he/she's getting results for his owners down to his/her knowledge of what works

Y.I.S Leeview

Have to agree, if you trust a trainer enough to put a dog with him then let him do his job if he wasn`t up to scratch then he wouldn`t be making a living from it , it`s good for owners to take an interest and even discuss things with their trainer but at the end of the day the trainer should be left to make the decisions on dogs in his care,

and if you think the trainer is not up to scratch and needs your advice don`t put your dog with him, simple

Havent looked at it from that perspective! we have three trainers in mind at the moment but one of them is a fella my father has co-owned dogs with in the past hence, why he is at the top of the list.

Dad use to do well with him but as he was also a client i dont think i am happy with the diet he has the dogs on, being that he use to allways buy his food from us i know what each of his dogs eats, and personally i think he should shed out a few more dollars on better food.

other than that he would be my pic of the bunch.

either way i would want to have a hands on aproach to the situation, and i have no problem with shutting up and listening and learning something.

Havent looked at it from that perspective! we have three trainers in mind at the moment but one of them is a fella my father has co-owned dogs with in the past hence, why he is at the top of the list.

Dad use to do well with him but as he was also a client i dont think i am happy with the diet he has the dogs on, being that he use to allways buy his food from us i know what each of his dogs eats, and personally i think he should shed out a few more dollars on better food.

either way i would want to have a hands on aproach to the situation, and i have no problem with shutting up and listening and learning something.

:thumbs:

Alternatively with your nutrional knowledge why not have a go on your own? If thats out of the question what about sharing the dogs with a kennel hand or a trainer just starting out? who may not see your input as interfering so much? just some ideas?

Good Luck

Y.I.S Leeview

:thumbs:

Alternatively with your nutrional knowledge why not have a go on your own? If thats out of the question what about sharing the dogs with a kennel hand or a trainer just starting out? who may not see your input as interfering so much? just some ideas?

Good Luck

Y.I.S Leeview

Hi lee, just a quicky, a few of us are still waiting for the pics of the drop boxs? Any nearer to getting them, thanks, atb, Russ

• 1 month later...

its doesnt work as easy as that. with greyhounds to race them and keep and train them at yours you have to have an NGRC LICENSE. plus you have to apply to your local track to see if there are any slots for your dog to race and so on. for a complete new comer to the sport i would keep yours with a professional trainer and learn from the sport that way. in greyhounds a second in time is worth alot and you might find it hard to even get it to grading standard as normally 1.5 seconds splits the open to A10 GRADE, A10 being the slowest. but either way you do it i doubt you get much money off it at all most people own them for the fun and they cost more to run then they win. plus once with a trainer its normally in the contract that he keeps the winnings. if you want to be where the money is you'l have to get a contract with a club as they pay you a wage but they dont contract people with just one dog normally as a trainer you'l need around 50-70 greyhounds to earn the right to be contracted. greyhounds are alot of fun and you meet some great people. but unless you got a derby winning dog or something on that level at most they just cover the cost of, feeding training and race entering and so on. but if they dont win as much as there can only be one winner per race which is obvious then your paying the trainers bill. it takes years of training to learn to train a greyhound correctly for racing. and most trainers start as kennel hands and so on to learn from within. and you need to learn how to make the greyhound give his all over a set distance so at the end of the race hes completly fuxked due to the effort hes put in again this is hard to do and with out the correct experience you'l get the greyhound conserving energy which slows them down slightly. to combat this get a schooled pup, the schooling process prepare them for the track, starting by slipping them to getting them used to the traps. if you buy a pup the schooling process normally cost around 2000 a dog for a trainer to do it. even the very experience greyhound owners get them proffesionally schooled. this proccess is make or break as after all that money spent you time trail them to see if there make the grade many dont. so for your first i'd buy one already schooled and ready to race. hope this helps and sorry for the essay but these are all the basics i could think about

hope this helps jamie

Edited by jamie1011

its doesnt work as easy as that. with greyhounds to race them and keep and train them at yours you have to have an NGRC LICENSE. plus you have to apply to your local track to see if there are any slots for your dog to race and so on. for a complete new comer to the sport i would keep yours with a professional trainer and learn from the sport that way. in greyhounds a second in time is worth alot and you might find it hard to even get it to grading standard as normally 1.5 seconds splits the open to A10 GRADE, A10 being the slowest. but either way you do it i doubt you get much money off it at all most people own them for the fun and they cost more to run then they win. plus once with a trainer its normally in the contract that he keeps the winnings. if you want to be where the money is you'l have to get a contract with a club as they pay you a wage but they dont contract people with just one dog normally as a trainer you'l need around 50-70 greyhounds to earn the right to be contracted. greyhounds are alot of fun and you meet some great people. but unless you got a derby winning dog or something on that level at most they just cover the cost of, feeding training and race entering and so on. but if they dont win as much as there can only be one winner per race which is obvious then your paying the trainers bill. it takes years of training to learn to train a greyhound correctly for racing. and most trainers start as kennel hands and so on to learn from within. and you need to learn how to make the greyhound give his all over a set distance so at the end of the race hes completly fuxked due to the effort hes put in again this is hard to do and with out the correct experience you'l get the greyhound conserving energy which slows them down slightly. to combat this get a schooled pup, the schooling process prepare them for the track, starting by slipping them to getting them used to the traps. if you buy a pup the schooling process normally cost around 2000 a dog for a trainer to do it. even the very experience greyhound owners get them proffesionally schooled. this proccess is make or break as after all that money spent you time trail them to see if there make the grade many dont. so for your first i'd buy one already schooled and ready to race. hope this helps and sorry for the essay but these are all the basics i could think about

hope this helps jamie

I think he lives in Australia and it is a more open track system over there similar to Ireland where a lot of dogs are owner trained ;)