Lab not very enthusiastic

Got some new permission with alot of rabbits and such on. Really good land but alot of thorns n the such. Took my 1 year old lab bitch down for the first time, She did pick up scent here n there but wasnt very enthusoastic to follow any trials really and was more as if I was taking her for a walk as she kept moving out ahead of me rather than hunt the ground :(

At one point I piterally saw a rabbit in this thorne bush I could have leaned into and prodded with the shotgun barrel, I didnt shoot it as it was a bit unsporting (would have been like shooting a fish in a barrel) I did try to get the dog into the bush to flush and and maybe present a more sporting shot but she didnt seem interested, although to be fair it was quite thick!

Feel very disappointed now to be honest, I know labs arent the best to get stuck into cover and thats a spaniels job, but everyone said both breeds will do each others job, jus not as well as each is intended. Well tonight I was honestly regretting getting her and not a springer as she just wasnt interested in hunting the bushes at all :(

Was this just because she is only young and not used to it ? Shes never been too keen to enter anything that thick, she does go through cover but never hits it hard n is never keen. Shes a brilliant dog be good at picking up n all that, Will have to see how she comes along.

At the moment training her with the breeder I had her from, she ended up being the best in the litter as it happens and he himself is eager to buy her off me so thats always a possibility, he field trials labs so I know she would be trained to a good standard and worked!

Sorry to ramble on just needed to say it to be honest. What do you guys think ? Just a bit disappointed.

Got some new permission with alot of rabbits and such on. Really good land but alot of thorns n the such. Took my 1 year old lab bitch down for the first time, She did pick up scent here n there but wasnt very enthusoastic to follow any trials really and was more as if I was taking her for a walk as she kept moving out ahead of me rather than hunt the ground :(

At one point I piterally saw a rabbit in this thorne bush I could have leaned into and prodded with the shotgun barrel, I didnt shoot it as it was a bit unsporting (would have been like shooting a fish in a barrel) I did try to get the dog into the bush to flush and and maybe present a more sporting shot but she didnt seem interested, although to be fair it was quite thick!

Feel very disappointed now to be honest, I know labs arent the best to get stuck into cover and thats a spaniels job, but everyone said both breeds will do each others job, jus not as well as each is intended. Well tonight I was honestly regretting getting her and not a springer as she just wasnt interested in hunting the bushes at all :(

Was this just because she is only young and not used to it ? Shes never been too keen to enter anything that thick, she does go through cover but never hits it hard n is never keen. Shes a brilliant dog be good at picking up n all that, Will have to see how she comes along.

At the moment training her with the breeder I had her from, she ended up being the best in the litter as it happens and he himself is eager to buy her off me so thats always a possibility, he field trials labs so I know she would be trained to a good standard and worked!

Sorry to ramble on just needed to say it to be honest. What do you guys think ? Just a bit disappointed.

You have said it your self she is still young & most of all by the sounds of it not trained her to hunt. So she will not know what you expect of her & retrieving is more natural for the dog to do than hunt & needs to be taught to her & takes time not 1 or 2 trips hunting. I have 3 labs & a litter at the moment & all mine hunt aswell as a spaniel when game is there so they can do it.

She has been hunting before on pheasants and such, but she open put them up in the more open cover! Shes jus very reluctant to enter anything thick, Was thinking about a second dog to keep her company anyway so prob look for a Springer bitch now to go with her :)

Unfortunately i think you have been give a bit of misleading information.

On a very basic level a lab is too big to get into the tight bushes well, think how big a rabbit run is. My old golden would try to get into the bushes but was simply too big

The only people i have ever heard claim their lab hunts as well as a spaniel are lab owners and the ones i have seen arent even close.

Have you tried to hunt her in any of the training so far? (doubtful if the bloke helping you is a field trialler)

Have you introduced her to the gun? (probably not the best situation to do it in)

I think that you might have to accept that a lab isnt the ideal bushing dog and that she will hunt the more open stuff but just pick up for the tight.

Dont give up on her yet though, she is only a year old and maybe will get some confidence later on.

Unfortunately i think you have been give a bit of misleading information.

On a very basic level a lab is too big to get into the tight bushes well, think how big a rabbit run is. My old golden would try to get into the bushes but was simply too big

The only people i have ever heard claim their lab hunts as well as a spaniel are lab owners and the ones i have seen arent even close.

Have you tried to hunt her in any of the training so far? (doubtful if the bloke helping you is a field trialler)

Have you introduced her to the gun? (probably not the best situation to do it in)

I think that you might have to accept that a lab isnt the ideal bushing dog and that she will hunt the more open stuff but just pick up for the tight.

Dont give up on her yet though, she is only a year old and maybe will get some confidence later on.

Yer she has been introduced to the gun, started off bangin plates n such n worked upto a starter pistol, then the shogtun, she is fine :)

Havent done any hunting with the guy I go training with but have taken her beating and she hunts very well through the cover but not into the bushes/bramble! :(

Seen a 3 n half springer bitch for decent money might be a good companion for her :)

A bit of compertition might make her a bit keener and never mind what anyone says you can get Labs that hits cover as hard as a spaniel ( i know i have 1, but there is not as many around as i would like to see)mine is a small type and will get through rabbit runs in brambles as good as a terrier if she thinks a bunny is home.

The problem is alot of labs wont hunt cover, i think it depends on there breeding even alot of working types just want to retrieve and not hunt.

You might also try placing the dummy on the edge of cover when training, then gradually put it further into thicker cover on blid retrieves and as her confidance grows she will not be as fazed by the thick stuff when out hunting.

I had mine retrieveing from cover from a pup, starting in a nettle patch in the garden then Horthorn, brambles and now thick gorse.

If all else fails get a Spaniel :clapper: you will be almost guarenteed a bush basher then.

Let us know how you get on.

Dave.

Might sound daft but does she know what a bunny is. Try to find a few out in an open wood and let her chase them give her a taste of a bunny bolting down into cover or if you know someone with ferrets aske if they will bolt a few rabbits in front of the lab she is still young enough to get wound up and give chase and when hot on a bunnys scutt a dog don't seem to mind any cover.Mind you only do this if you know you will be able to train her to be steady on a flush later on .atb.

I would keep at it pal.

I had a labrador type before and she was like that sometimes she would work cover well and other times she would not. But when she worked there is no other springer that i have ever saw that was as good as her and that is a fact. Even when it seems that she is only walking around you and not hunting it may suprise you to find that she is scenting all the time. besides maybe she is more interested in pheasants than rabbits and i would advise you to do some dogging in next sep / oct you may be suprised at how much difference a few months might make..

stick at it mate.

boy

If you have any mates with spaniels get them to go with you and let your dog watch them hunt. Still young yet so i wouldn't give up, no better training than to watch of others..............thats humans or dogs :thumbs:

Bigthug -- when i had my lab , he was a cracking hunter , he was a big lad but thought nothing of crashing through brambles etc .

his nose was that good , i taught him to quarter , it was like having a well behaved spaniel :hmm: .

sadley he's gone now and i have 2 springers ( for my sins ) , again brill hunters and endless energy :wallbash: