smithfield breeding

a proper smithfield type is a thing of the past now i am afraid gone with the drovers who once owned them to drive cattle from as far north as scotland, to the famous smithfield cattle market in london The ‘smooth fields’, an area of flat pastureland outside London, was the original site of the British fat-stock show and market, which was rebuilt in 1860 and renamed Smithfield. A band of drovers were specially licensed and employed by the markets to bring the cattle in and for this they required the assistance of large, strong dogs known locally as ‘Smithfield collies’. Although fantastic droving dogs they were rather prone to biting and were somewhat noisy workers. They had square bodies and pendulous ears, and were generally white or black and white, with either smooth or long, shaggy coats. Their tails were customarily docked, giving them the nick-name of Bobtail or Black Bobtail (livestock owners docked their working dogs’ tails so they could be exempt from the luxury pet tax levied in 1878). Although known primarily around London, Smithfields were also used in other areas, and were mated to greyhounds to produce a usefull lurcher, these are what was known as smithfield lurchers, pretty much an old type collie greyhound,

hope this helps

cocker

• Like 1

hi

as far as i know they are extinct, there is another smithfield type, in australia but its a different type to the drovers dog, which was used in this country, its more like a bearded collie or bearded collie hybrid,

the genuine smithfield collie used in this country would have died out after the drovers stopped moving livestock on foot, this would have been when railways and road transport would have took over, the only things that are left now are remains of the old drovers roads and smithfield market itself,

cocker

hi

as far as i know they are extinct, there is another smithfield type, in australia but its a different type to the drovers dog, which was used in this country, its more like a bearded collie or bearded collie hybrid,

the genuine smithfield collie used in this country would have died out after the drovers stopped moving livestock on foot, this would have been when railways and road transport would have took over, the only things that are left now are remains of the old drovers roads and smithfield market itself,

cocker

yer no yer stuff cocker mate :thumbs::thumbs:

a proper smithfield type is a thing of the past now i am afraid gone with the drovers who once owned them to drive cattle from as far north as scotland, to the famous smithfield cattle market in london The ‘smooth fields’, an area of flat pastureland outside London, was the original site of the British fat-stock show and market, which was rebuilt in 1860 and renamed Smithfield. A band of drovers were specially licensed and employed by the markets to bring the cattle in and for this they required the assistance of large, strong dogs known locally as ‘Smithfield collies’. Although fantastic droving dogs they were rather prone to biting and were somewhat noisy workers. They had square bodies and pendulous ears, and were generally white or black and white, with either smooth or long, shaggy coats. Their tails were customarily docked, giving them the nick-name of Bobtail or Black Bobtail (livestock owners docked their working dogs’ tails so they could be exempt from the luxury pet tax levied in 1878). Although known primarily around London, Smithfields were also used in other areas, and were mated to greyhounds to produce a usefull lurcher, these are what was known as smithfield lurchers, pretty much an old type collie greyhound,

hope this helps

cocker

grate reply mate and as much as you would need to know.cheers :thumbs:

cheers lads

droving had died out by 1900, so its over a hundred years since droving dogs were used regularly, there was a man called jeff burril who used to sell what he said were "genuine" smithfield lurchers, these used to be advertised in the exchange and mart and then the countrymans weekly, i dont know jeff burril but if anyone on here does know him or his dogs, then they may be able to let us know more, about smithfields and smithfield lurchers,

i think ted walshes book lurchers and longdogs has parts about smithfields, in it.

the dog on the dulux advert is an old english sheepdog, different type of dog to a smithfield,

cocker

Edited by cocker

ok cheers. just i was talking to a bloke the other night with a couple of lurchers. he had a beddy whippet and he said the big one was a wheaton greyhound, smithfield-wheaton-grey, i thought smithfelds was a collie type so do you think he meant it has smithfield and wheaton in its make up.

yeah mate,

a smithfield is a collie type herding dog, and a wheaten is a type of terrier, they are two totaly different types of dog, what the man would have meant is that his lurcher had greyhound and wheaten and smithfield in its make up,

cocker

Edited by cocker

hope this helps

cocker

very intresting...fair play you know your stuff :thumbs:

intresting got pictures here of a book with smithfeild type and beardie type very simliar ,me personaly a smithfeild is just abig working beeardie type , and well cant say much else i have abook here the country side remebrd and there pics of a shepherd in salsbury with either smithfeild or a big beardie type , no folk lore aproper picture here there one grey and black and one pure black very well balanced dog ideal for a lurcher type ,this was pre war days 30ties