Hi, I am intertested in gwtting some hives I have joined my locel bee keeping club and atteneded there courses just got to take the step in to investing, ive been looking round. Where does everyone recommend buying there hives from new or used? I was thinking of buying some used hives with swarms?

All the best jamie

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First inspection of the “Cas” bees today, they’ve been in the hive for two weeks now, they were very gentle and stopped on the comb throughout, plenty of capped brood ... couldn’t be better.

Nice set up you ( and the wife) have there  ??. I managed to pick up a swarm last week, can’t beat free bees ??

Got me wife a hive for Xmas now we have 2 hives and a nuke box ( collected a swarm today) , its way to complicated for me just hope she gets me some honey ha 

Posted Images

Hi, I am intertested in gwtting some hives I have joined my locel bee keeping club and atteneded there courses just got to take the step in to investing, ive been looking round. Where does everyone recommend buying there hives from new or used? I was thinking of buying some used hives with swarms?

All the best jamie

I`ve just ordered a load of gear from maismore apairys they have a sale on now its all new but its seconds quality, this isnt a problem tho just the odd knot or scratch etc and all well cheap

supers about £13

brood bodys £18

50 frames £25

Have a look mate its about the best prices you will find.

How you guys with bees doing, had a good year? lots of honey?

I`m feeding some that need it with 2:1 sugar syrup and fondant in the topbars all in all looking good.

I`m going into winter with 6 hives 3 nationals on single brood 1 on double brood and 2 topbars as my 3rd was totaly cross combed and i couldnt get into it so i moved it from the top of one topbar to the other every few weeks to strenghen the other 2 topbars up, i will correct the now empty combs and put a swarm in it next spring.

What you guys doing for varroa control?

All the best jamie

I`ve just ordered a load of gear from maismore apairys they have a sale on now its all new but its seconds quality, this isnt a problem tho just the odd knot or scratch etc and all well cheap

supers about £13

brood bodys £18

50 frames £25

Have a look mate its about the best prices you will find.

You've had a good season by the sounds of it :thumbs:

I started with a complete top quality hive cost over £200 i think, but to be honest i have learnt to buy cheap seconds stuff in the sales it does the same job for less than half the price and the bees dont know the differance, its the way to go.

I started with a complete top quality hive cost over £200 i think, but to be honest i have learnt to buy cheap seconds stuff in the sales it does the same job for less than half the price and the bees dont know the differance, its the way to go.

Right, I'll have a look at the seconds, cheers mate :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

What have you got to do to get them ready for winter?

Just make sure they have enough weight of stores, i fed odd bits of syrup 2:1 2lts at a time up untill a couple of weeks ago, with this late warm spell they seam to have used alot more, could be later brood rearing?

I have now changed to fondant as its getting colder and will keep a slab on each through the winter just incase they get short.

You can also insulate the top under the roof with kingspan or polystyrene or anything really, i have a couple of old fleese blankets on 2, poly on another and 1 with nothing but the crown board and roof, my 2 topbars also have nothing but i`m tempted to try newspaper on these.

Fit mouse guards.

Just have to check fondant every few weeks and wait for spring for them to burst into life again.

• 2 months later...

anyone get any bee gear for crimbo? i got a new full bbwear bee suit, a new hive tool, a skep for swarm catching and 2 more bee books i`m just about all bee`d out.

I have sold off my weight lifting gear and brought some woodworking kit for the garage, and am now making my own topbar hives to a design i found online have made 2 and on my 3rd with all new timber they cost me around £50-£60 each, i like them because they are so simple, i will put some pics up sometime.

anyone get any bee gear for crimbo? i got a new full bbwear bee suit, a new hive tool, a skep for swarm catching and 2 more bee books i`m just about all bee`d out.

I have sold off my weight lifting gear and brought some woodworking kit for the garage, and am now making my own topbar hives to a design i found online have made 2 and on my 3rd with all new timber they cost me around £50-£60 each, i like them because they are so simple, i will put some pics up sometime.

like to see the pics when your ready t-man.just had a hive given to me a few weeks ago with bees they were out flying 2 days ago i have a lot to learn quick.

O A Treatment completed mine have been busy coming back loaded with pollen and they haven't touched the fondant so Im praying for a cold snap so they start clearing the stores but other than that its looking good for the coming year!!

I did my oa last week, i brought myself a varrox vapouriser and its very easy to use, (after much reading and thought vapourising is my chosen method of using the acid) I`m quite suprised at the drop already after just a few days, i`ve also knocked up a false floor with a cutout that it fits neatly in so i can use it on my topbar hives aswell.

like to see the pics when your ready t-man.just had a hive given to me a few weeks ago with bees they were out flying 2 days ago i have a lot to learn quick.

Will do :thumbs: