• 1 month later...

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First inspection of the “Cas” bees today, they’ve been in the hive for two weeks now, they were very gentle and stopped on the comb throughout, plenty of capped brood ... couldn’t be better.

Nice set up you ( and the wife) have there  ??. I managed to pick up a swarm last week, can’t beat free bees ??

Got me wife a hive for Xmas now we have 2 hives and a nuke box ( collected a swarm today) , its way to complicated for me just hope she gets me some honey ha 

Posted Images

BEEN KEEPING BEES A COUPLE OF MONTHS NOW AND JUST JARED 16LB OF HONEY TODAY, NOT MUCH I KNOW BUT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME. LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT SEASON, IM GOING INTO THE WINTER WITH 5 HIVES

How many jars did that fill? Have you tasted it and will you use it yourself or give it away or sell it? Well done and good luck with your bees.

BEEN KEEPING BEES A COUPLE OF MONTHS NOW AND JUST JARED 16LB OF HONEY TODAY, NOT MUCH I KNOW BUT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME. LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT SEASON, IM GOING INTO THE WINTER WITH 5 HIVES

How many jars did that fill? Have you tasted it and will you use it yourself or give it away or sell it? Well done and good luck with your bees.

Only 16 jars mate, it tastes out of this world (lime honey) i will make sure myself and my family have our honey for this year and hope to pull in a couple of hundred lb next year as well as breeding some bees. if i can help you in any way just ask mate, im new to the art but have a lot of time to talk bees.

Only 16 jars mate, it tastes out of this world (lime honey) i will make sure myself and my family have our honey for this year and hope to pull in a couple of hundred lb next year as well as breeding some bees. if i can help you in any way just ask mate, im new to the art but have a lot of time to talk bees.

i put a 7ft brush screne fence around my hives so as to insure the flight path is above human height. they shit for the first 25 yards so we dont have any probs at the moment, apart from the odd kamakasy bee

i put a 7ft brush screne fence around my hives so as to insure the flight path is above human height. they shit for the first 25 yards so we dont have any probs at the moment, apart from the odd kamakasy bee

That's really interesting. A girl I work with has just had her first season with a hive, I love hearing about the progress. She does have a fruit and veg patch and feels the bees are a good natural addition to it, looking forward to sampling the honey.

Does any one feel it would be dangerous to keep a hive in a garden in a town? Do the bees bother much or just get on with their own business if you don't go too close?

Sure you can keep bees in your garden, few things though make sure when youre bees are leaving theire hive theire flightway is blocked by a fence or lattice work 6 or 7 foot high ,second thing is the bees you keep (strain)Carnolian or Buckfast are gentle bees and easy to handle or a F1 cross of these strains ,i wouldnt start with black bees as in most cases there more aggressive (hybridasation) .Good luck in your efforts . :thumbs:

Does any one feel it would be dangerous to keep a hive in a garden in a town? Do the bees bother much or just get on with their own business if you don't go too close?

Sure you can keep bees in your garden, few things though make sure when youre bees are leaving theire hive theire flightway is blocked by a fence or lattice work 6 or 7 foot high ,second thing is the bees you keep (strain)Carnolian or Buckfast are gentle bees and easy to handle or a F1 cross of these strains ,i wouldnt start with black bees as in most cases there more aggressive (hybridasation) .Good luck in you efforts . :thumbs:

Oh good. Why do you have to have a high fence in the flightway please?

Sure you can keep bees in your garden, few things though make sure when youre bees are leaving theire hive theire flightway is blocked by a fence or lattice work 6 or 7 foot high ,second thing is the bees you keep (strain)Carnolian or Buckfast are gentle bees and easy to handle or a F1 cross of these strains ,i wouldnt start with black bees as in most cases there more aggressive (hybridasation) .Good luck in you efforts . :thumbs:

What i ment to say is if they leave theire hive and and facing a six or seven foot obstikel they are forced to fly up into the sky and cause no trouble to your neighbors, this is required in Holland for keeping bees in towns ( City Council legislation)

What i ment to say is if they leave theire hive and and facing a six or seven foot obstikel they are forced to fly up into the sky and cause no trouble to your neighbors, this is required in Holland for keeping bees in towns ( City Council legislation)

Oh I see, that makes sense. Up, up and away safely! Thanks. :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Trapperman, how are you getting on with your bees?

All going well John i have done apiguard, queen went off laying in the middle of treatment but at the end of 4 weeks she had relayed 5 frames of brood, so hopefully will have lots of bees for winter, started feeding on saturday and had some funny yellow streaks on the front of the hive i thought this was pollen but some on the beekeeping forum think it maybe the shits so i have ordered some nosema treatment just to be on the safe side.

how yours doing.

Ive been feeding for the last week, two hives very strong, no problems there. Both will winter with a full super and plenty of stores in the brood area and i havent treated for varoa at all, i havent even seen any mites in the last month, very strange.

3rd hive was a later swarm and has taken a long time to really get going, no time to add a super now, so maybe i will just narrow down the brood area with some boards and feed as much as they will take.

Streaks on the front of hive? Sounds like the trots... whack some treatment into them as fast as you can, hope you still have space for them to store some treated syrup?

Its always awkward to second guess the weather, but it wouldnt suprise me if winter comes in like a meteor this year.