The Otter

i remember one time back about 5 or 6 years ago. we were running my mates bitch threw a large bank alongside a fast flowing river. this particular bitch was as game as they come. after 10 mins or so there was no sign of her so we got the old "knocker box'' out to locate her. she was approx 12ft. we waited to see if thats were she would stay, 20 mins later there was movement and before anyone could blink we heard a loud splash in the river below. no one could see anything in the river as the bitch came racing out of the same entrance. after we got her gathered up and seen the hammering she had took we came to the conclusion that it was an otter. i may be wrong, though i doubt it very much. thats the only experience ive had to date with an otter. on that alone,i believe that they will bolt if confronted by a dog. though it would take a decent terrier to work one. just my opinion....

lots round me an they are quick to bolt but can be hard on a terrier before it ps i dont hunt them but have came accross

didnt brian nuttall work his terriers to an otterhound pack ? atb

Brian has some great otterhunting stories - I've been lucky enough to listen to them at length - and he worked for an otterhound pack before it was outlawed.

• Like 1

MacColla, I can read and you mentioned breaking the law in your post.

And there's another fool stating they're no harder than a fox.

Silly posts.

True Neil :yes: , I've heard it all now about them being no harder than a fox :laugh: . My lasses granddad used to hunt them before they were banned and he lost some good terriers to them :thumbs:

“An otter is a sufficiently formidable beast of chase, and the terrier that has to tackle him must be a hardy and high-couraged one; no creature, in fact, knows better how to use its teeth than an otter, and the unaccustomed spectator will do well not to try to “tail” or otherwise meddle with one of these animals in the course of the hunt, if he values his fingers. “Tailing” an otter~that is, seizing the beast by his tail and flinging him to the hounds, or turning him, is an operation of extreme nicety, and only old hands know how to achieve it successfully.” (Nature and Sport in Britain. H.A. Bryden. Pub. Grant Richards, 1904. Page 255)

Bearinator,

My post wasn't made regarding the fighting ability of the fox or otter it was made regarding the stupidity of some folk on this topic.

It was said to me yesterday that " the Hunting LIfe forums are like Sky News to the Anti's".

I have to agree.

• Like 2

Bearinator, That was a cool excerpt. I am trying to figure out how to hunt them with regular success here. But it seems that bolting them is what was most common in england back in the day as well as compared to a dig. I've bolted many but digging one seems trickier. I'm gonna figure it out though. I wish there were videos from back in the day when they were doing it your side of the pond. I tail all the game I am familiar with but man nothing is freakier than trying to get hands on a dog when it's into it with an otter. I grabbed at a beaver last week for the tail and I swear that thing turned inside out and popped it's head out it's ass to bite at me. Water puts a new dimension to the way an animal can move and nail you.

Mind you in America where all this is legal and necessary.

Bearinator, That was a cool excerpt. I am trying to figure out how to hunt them with regular success here. But it seems that bolting them is what was most common in england back in the day as well as compared to a dig. I've bolted many but digging one seems trickier. I'm gonna figure it out though. I wish there were videos from back in the day when they were doing it your side of the pond. I tail all the game I am familiar with but man nothing is freakier than trying to get hands on a dog when it's into it with an otter. I grabbed at a beaver last week for the tail and I swear that thing turned inside out and popped it's head out it's ass to bite at me. Water puts a new dimension to the way an animal can move and nail you.

Mind you in America where all this is legal and necessary.

I don't think my girlfriends granddad has any film footage but I'll try to get you some old pics :thumbs: