Light load for 243Win

i`m about to get myself a 243 and would like to use it for long range varmint shooting, so the lighter bullets would suit my needs, what i wondered is are these faster, lighter bullets going to seriously shorten the barrel life or the rifle ?

I WISH YOU HAD STARTED ANOTHER THREAD..................

SERIOUSLY is important here, and in simple terms for field work the answer is NO, If you fired loads in quick succession down the range and fried your barrel them perhaps yes!

And make sure you clean barrel and moderator thoroughly, and regularly!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The topic header suggests that the OP requires a "light load". I think the OP may well be surprised that there are only a few possibilities out there. Best I have come up with, which is a REAL load

No arguement about the speeds required to make certain bullet weights deer legal, but just pointing out that there is no legal minimum speed for bullets in law!... not semantics, accuracy! There are

i`m about to get myself a 243 and would like to use it for long range varmint shooting, so the lighter bullets would suit my needs, what i wondered is are these faster, lighter bullets going to seriously shorten the barrel life or the rifle ?

IMHO there are better calibres for long range vermin shooting, that said the great thing with the .243" is that it's a universal calibre for both vermin and deer. I have two main loads for my .243", 58 grain & 75 grain both driven by H380. Mine has a 1in12 twist barrel and will shoot 58 to 75 grain V-max accurately. "Hot loads" will cause more throat erosion but as already stated under normal conditions barrel life will be okay. I can remember reading that a rifle barrel only has a life span of 1000 rounds, not sure how true that is as I don't normally keep rifles for that long unless I really like the rifle and in which case it's not a working tool. In fact later today (with luck) I'm off to pick up my replacement .308 which will be either a Remington 700 SPS tactical or Remington SPS LTR, the rifle being replaced was a Parker Hale (love the classic lines) which I bet has shot more than a 1000 rounds over the years, yet still going strong and still very accurate. I am sure that barrel life increases if a new barrel has been 'run-in' correctly and cleaned correctly after each shooting session. Let us know what rifle you get!!

John

i wouldnt bother pushing the 55 grain bullets in the 243. yes it will be fast and flat. but a 70 grain is fast and flat for normal foxing ranges.

it will hit harder to and be afected less by wind. if you want to push light bullets fast get a 22 centerfire.

Jamie, I disagree completely about light bullets being with a .22CF. I do agree the 70gr bullet is a better choice for 243, but there is a point in the 55s.

If your rifle shoots them accurately, they can be easily pushed to a smidgen under 4000fps, with a BC of .276. That pisses all over a 22-250.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against the 22-250, it has a good velocity and smaller powder charge, and the bullets are more plentiful and varied, and it works out cheaper. But if you want really fast and high BC from a factory calibre, 243 is where it's at.

Jamie, I disagree completely about light bullets being with a .22CF. I do agree the 70gr bullet is a better choice for 243, but there is a point in the 55s.

If your rifle shoots them accurately, they can be easily pushed to a smidgen under 4000fps, with a BC of .276. That pisses all over a 22-250.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against the 22-250, it has a good velocity and smaller powder charge, and the bullets are more plentiful and varied, and it works out cheaper. But if you want really fast and high BC from a factory calibre, 243 is where it's at.

i no what your saying mr l but i wasnt pushing the point of the 22/250 v the 243.

what i was getting at is if you use a 243 for the extra speed you get from the 55 grain bullets your not really getting any advatage out of the rifle. you might as well just use the 70 grain bullets. to use what advatage the bigger caliber rifles give you.

everyone knows once you start getting over 300 yards to get consistant accuracy you need heavier bullets. on windless days then yes fair comment.

Edited by jamie g

IMHO there are better calibres for long range vermin shooting, that said the great thing with the .243" is that it's a universal calibre for both vermin and deer. I have two main loads for my .243", 58 grain & 75 grain both driven by H380. Mine has a 1in12 twist barrel and will shoot 58 to 75 grain V-max accurately. "Hot loads" will cause more throat erosion but as already stated under normal conditions barrel life will be okay. I can remember reading that a rifle barrel only has a life span of 1000 rounds, not sure how true that is as I don't normally keep rifles for that long unless I really like the rifle and in which case it's not a working tool. In fact later today (with luck) I'm off to pick up my replacement .308 which will be either a Remington 700 SPS tactical or Remington SPS LTR, the rifle being replaced was a Parker Hale (love the classic lines) which I bet has shot more than a 1000 rounds over the years, yet still going strong and still very accurate. I am sure that barrel life increases if a new barrel has been 'run-in' correctly and cleaned correctly after each shooting session. Let us know what rifle you get!!

John

Hi John, ive already put a deposit on a Tikka 595 varmint, just waiting for the FAC to return

Hi John, ive already put a deposit on a Tikka 595 varmint, just waiting for the FAC to return

So that will be a 1in10 twist rate.

Working out the optimum bullet length isn't hard.

Bullet length = (180 x (bullet diameter x bullet diameter) )/ twist rate

so that's 1.06" for the optimum bullet length.

So the rifle is more suited to deer than vermin (if I am correct on the 1in10 twist). The lightest bullet of that length would be 85 grain inter-bonds but 100 grain Hornady SP are bang on the money.

If your reloading H4350 is a good powder in the .243" and I'd guess 39 to 42 grains would produce some good results.

John

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

HZ, not sure which cave you dragged that pointless tidbit from, but 1:10 twist is not ideal for 100gr in a 243, it is much better suited to more like 80-85 gr. 100gr much more reliable in a 1:91/8 or 1:91/4 twist of savage or Remington. 1:10 sometimes works with 100gr, sometimes not. This is common knowledge, borne out by many people over many years with many bullets. It is more useful than theory.

HZ, not sure which cave you dragged that pointless tidbit from, but 1:10 twist is not ideal for 100gr in a 243, it is much better suited to more like 80-85 gr.

I can understand that you have issues comprehending basic rifle physics, that's more an educational issue as apposed to a theoretical issue.

A 85 grain Triple-Shock X Boat-tail would work just as well in a 1in10 due to being 1.06" long, the same length as the 100 grain. The bullet weight has nothing to do with stability. The toss up between 100 or 85 grains is so ridiculously minor that for the easy of obtaining the bullet tips, I would not go for the 85 grain bullets. Experience over the years has taught me that it's best to work up and accurate load, use the most suited but most available components for the load and stick with it. In time and with experience I am sure you will come to the same conclusion. You obviously have a reading issue as well "The lightest bullet of that length would be 85 grain inter-bonds"

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

Obviously stabilisation is based on length. But here's a thing... I have 55, 70, 80, 85, 95, 100 grain bullets in my cupboard for 6mm, and funnily enough the length increases with the weight.

1:10 twist prefers lighter bullets as a rule, and there simply aren't nice short 100 grain ones. Yes for sure the length varies, but they are on the longer side of the 6mm bullets available. And 1:10 doesn't like the longer ones, as a general rule - there are exceptions. Hence my accurate statement that 1:10 generally prefers a lighter (thus shorter) bullet.

i do wish you'd stop spouting maths to a simple question. Yes theory has its place but for the most part, especially when it's not accurate, it is confusing and counter-productive to someone asking a simple question.,

You guys are both cleverer than me when it comes to reloading, although I have a certain level of knowledge of ballistics.

Nevertheless "many" Tikka and Sako owners with 1-10 .243 have issues with 100g ammo.

Lighter and they go in the same hole :hmm::hmm:

How's that work then??

Hello People,

Does anyone know of a 55 or 60g bullet thats useable in a 243Win. I want to try working up a light flat shooting 243, the idea being if i can load a 243 to give similar performance to a 222 or 223 i only need 3 rifle not 4..

My originaly idea was a .22lr, .17hmr and a 222rem,,,,,,,,,, then a good friend told of a patch of grass he has that has deer,,,, so meaning a forth rifle.

Any ideas would be most interesting. Thanks Tom

such light bullets tend to be designed for foxing, so extreemly frangible and will seriously mess the carcass up, the lightest deer bullets seem to be around 75 grains I think hornady do an interlock and tipped SST in this weight, as well as nosler ballistic tip hunting and a partition in 75 grains as well, personally I wouldn't go lighter than this as although you may achieve deer legal energy, the mess inside will be massive- go with deer bullets that offer more controlled expansion.

i have used sst they are one hell of head but it will wreck a deer with a chest shot