my own fault ??

Guest traceyg

Guest traceyg

post-11694-127091778405_thumb.jpg Well as most of you know on new year's eve my two whippets had an unexpected fight after living together all their lives. But it was bad with my little whippet taking a nasty bite. I have four dogs the two whippets a old lab and a terrier I got the terrier nearly 2 years ago off a member on this site. And they get along fantastic .The dogs have never bitten any other dog or person before. So with it being a nice sunny day I thought I would muzzle one of the whippets the (uninjured one) and let them see how they got on BIG MISTAKE. They went mad trying to get at each other all I can say is thank god one was muzzled but the other two dogs sensed this I was trying my best to get one in the house holding each dog my the collar. The terrier come at me and started his attack I was soon on the ground being bitten. Luckily my daughter heard my shouts and come to my rescue but an afternoon in A&E and feeling really sore has taught me a lesson. When one dog was in the house the others went calm and the terrier looked at me like to say what was all that about and brought me his ball to play. Can't begin to say how shocked I am at this, the whippets will never meet again..

post-11694-127091621928_thumb.jpg

post-11694-127091639402_thumb.jpg

post-11694-127091641736_thumb.jpg

post-11694-127091616009_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WELL ,   I KNOW NOT ALL PEOPLE ARE THE SAME ........ HOWEVER ....... YOU HAVE A PACK IN YER HOUSE AND YOUR NOT THE LEADER ,............ I HONESTLY BELIVE THAT MOST TROUBLESOME DOGS ARE OW

Posted Images

Looks sore that Tracey........Ouch. Them buggers hang on a bit don't they, I always think the little uns bites are worse than the big uns. Hope it soon stops hurting anyway mate........I won't say the old gag about "did you put anything on it":yes:

Regards

Rolfe.

Did you give em a damn good thrashing?? Under no circumstances is it acceptable for any dog of yours to bite you.. and by the looks of it they had more than 1 bite at the cherry.. atb stabba.... get well soon :thumbs:

As I said in your original post it will happen again, not having a go but speaking from experience, I kept a whippet and terrier (both bitches) who lived together for 4 years without any trouble until one day they had a major fight. After that I had to seperate them at all times which was a major pain in the arse and stressful.

One day my daughter left a door open and they all but killed each other and my terrier snapped at me as I seperated them.

I had both mine PTS.

You know what you have to do it could of been your daughters face that they bit.

WELL ,

I KNOW NOT ALL PEOPLE ARE THE SAME ........

HOWEVER ....... YOU HAVE A PACK IN YER HOUSE AND YOUR NOT THE LEADER ,............

I HONESTLY BELIVE THAT MOST TROUBLESOME DOGS ARE OWNED BY WEAK OWNERS , DOGS NEED TO KNOW WHOS BOSS .......

PERSONALLY .. I THINK YOU HAVE TOO MANY DOGS ..........

WORKING BREEDS NEED TO BE KEPT ACTIVE , IT TAKES A LOT OF HUNTING GROUND WITH GAME TO KEEP TWO WHIPPETS AND A TERRIER .........

ONE WHIPPET IS AS MUCH AS MOST NEED ......

THE REMAINING ONE WOULD BE IN A KENNEL AND RUN IN THE YARD / GARDEN .........

AND A TIP FOR YOU LOT OUT THERE ....... IF YOU HAVE LAYED YER DOGS OFF FOR THE SUMMER .......... DROP OFF THAT HIGH PROTIEN FOOD ...... IT OFTEN LEADS TO HYPER DOGS READY TO GO TO WAR AT THE DROP OF A HAT

IAM AFRAID IF ANY OF MY DOGS BIT OR THE MISSUS OR ONE OF MY KIDS THEY WOULD BE IN A HOLE NOW .......NOT EVEN TOMORROW

DUCKWING

• Like 2

Bit of a sad tale this.

IMO one whippet has to go.

And the terrier has to be on borrowed time too, going on the account of the incident.

When two bitches decide that they don't get on, they can be far more vindictive and savage than dogs.

Duckwing, mainly good advice there - especially about the diet off season. But I reckon I could find work for 2 Whippets no problem.

With the lighter nights, I get home, have a quick bite to eat, then out with the dogs for an hour or two - just banging through the cover and a general mooch, but I find it takes the edge of them in the evenings. When I get them home, I feed them, and they just laze around on the sette or wherever till lights out.

WELL DAVID ,

MAYBE YOU COULD FIND WORK FOR TWO WHIPPETS , .........

THEN AGAIN ........................

.......... MY WAY OF THINKING IS THIS .................... IMAGINE THE AREA OF LAND WHERE YOU LIVE

LETS SAY IT ISNT EXACTLY HEAVING WITH RABBITS ETC ........ LIKE MANY AREAS OF BRITAIN ......

EVEN SO YOU LAMP DURING THE WEEK AT LEAST 4 NIGHTS TAKING AN AVERAGE OF TWENTY RABBITS , ON TOP OF THAT YOU MOOCH SOME TIPS / ROUGH WASTLELAND ON A SATURDAY MORNING AND FERRET ON A SUNDAY AGAIN AVERAGEING 20 RABBITS A WEEK THROUGHOUT THE SEASON ..................

NOW THEN ............. I KNOW QUITE A FEW LADS THAT JUST DO THIS SENARIO ..........

HOWEVER THERE DOGS ARE CAPABLE OF ADDING ANOTHER 30 - 40 RABBITS TO THE BAG

HOWEVER SOME OF THEM HAVE TWO OR EVEN THREE WHIPPTS / SMALL RABBITING LURCHERS ..................................

THE AMOUNT OF WORK THE WHIPPET WHOS OWNER HAS ANOTHER TWO OR THREE DOGS IS MINIMAL , AND AS A RESULT THESE DOGS WILL NEVER REACH THERE FULL POTENTIAL !!

ISNT IT BETTER TO HAVE ONE FULLY TRAINED GOOD WHIPPET / LURCHER ................ THAN THREE WHIPPETS WITH LITTLE CATCH EXPERIENCE ????????

JUST MY THOUGHTS ON MANY OF TODAYS DOG MEN ...................

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Spot on post duckwing.I see some of the people on here (one of whome has even posted on this thread) who always seem to have about 64 000 dogs! Always got a puppy in. I and i cant help thinking by what they say and pics on here they obviously dont do much hunting mabey a bit at most which is fine by me.Who am i to tell them what to do .But i cant help but think of the waste of these dogs just sitting around waiting for them to stop faffing around taking pretty pictures of them.Certainly not my way.

WELL ,

I KNOW NOT ALL PEOPLE ARE THE SAME ........

HOWEVER ....... YOU HAVE A PACK IN YER HOUSE AND YOUR NOT THE LEADER ,............

I HONESTLY BELIVE THAT MOST TROUBLESOME DOGS ARE OWNED BY WEAK OWNERS , DOGS NEED TO KNOW WHOS BOSS .......

PERSONALLY .. I THINK YOU HAVE TOO MANY DOGS ..........

WORKING BREEDS NEED TO BE KEPT ACTIVE , IT TAKES A LOT OF HUNTING GROUND WITH GAME TO KEEP TWO WHIPPETS AND A TERRIER .........

ONE WHIPPET IS AS MUCH AS MOST NEED ......

THE REMAINING ONE WOULD BE IN A KENNEL AND RUN IN THE YARD / GARDEN .........

AND A TIP FOR YOU LOT OUT THERE ....... IF YOU HAVE LAYED YER DOGS OFF FOR THE SUMMER .......... DROP OFF THAT HIGH PROTIEN FOOD ...... IT OFTEN LEADS TO HYPER DOGS READY TO GO TO WAR AT THE DROP OF A HAT

IAM AFRAID IF ANY OF MY DOGS BIT OR THE MISSUS OR ONE OF MY KIDS THEY WOULD BE IN A HOLE NOW .......NOT EVEN TOMORROW

DUCKWING

very wise words :thumbs:

It's not about the number of dogs, its about who is boss, as Duckwing said. You can keep umpteen dogs together as long as they know there is to be no squabbling. I won't say that mine live in fear of me, but they do have great respect for me, and I only have to raise my voice to restore calm if there is the slightest sign of silliness. I've never (I know one should never say never LOL) had a fight, BUT I don't mix lurchers and terriers together with the exception of one 14 year old terrier who is very quiet and likes to use the lurchers as hot water bottles, which they don't mind: she's older than all the others.

I know that if 2 bitches think they have equal status, or one wants to be higher than the other in the pack, you can have problems, but I've got social cliimbers and bitches that would like to be leader: they just get reminded that they can never be leader: by me, not another bitch. Once the problems start they will never go until you get rid of a particular dog.

I do think that some dogs are just trouble makers no matter how much you jump on them from a great height, and I wouldn't keep such a dog. It's not fair on the others: some dogs just aren't meant to live together in a big pack: let's face it, foxhounds have been developed to get on together, not so some other breeds, but a foxhound that caused trouble in the pack wouldn't be allowed to stay there long would it!