Tail docking vet

6 minutes ago, Barrie said:

No Wild Bird.... I suspect the time scales you were reading quite possibly related to the requirements for micro chipping AFTER the tail docking had been performed.

If the puppy is more than 5 days old, the procedure should only be performed under anaesthesia, preferably not before 8 weeks of age. Many undocked adult animals undergo the tail docking procedure out of necessity when their tail has been traumatised, but this is considered a tail amputation, not a tail dock.

this is on basc when site ?? 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wild Bird, Genuine People who work terriers concerned with the welfare of their working stock will usually have a local vet that understands the necessity of docking working dogs as was proven in

Wild bird..... I'm afraid there appears to be more than a little confusion here. There's not a vet in the country who would dock your pup once it gets past 5 days old, it would be illegal for the

I took my litter of 5 Lakeland/Patterdale pups to my local Vet on 12th March for tail docking, I had several letters from landowners with permission to control pests and vermin on their land. This wa

1 minute ago, Wild bird said:

If the puppy is more than 5 days old, the procedure should only be performed under anaesthesia, preferably not before 8 weeks of age. Many undocked adult animals undergo the tail docking procedure out of necessity when their tail has been traumatised, but this is considered a tail amputation, not a tail dock.

As you see this is nothing to do with micro chipping.  It says that it has to be done by a vet and under anesthesia.  Think we will just have to leave it . I thought I may get some help but I dont want to push people's buttons.  I really just wanted some help on this matter . My working cocker was done at 7 months old by my old  after a day in the field working with pheasants and this was because I chose to keep her tail . Never again .it was horrendous . My girl had a litter and all where done at 3 days old . The horrendous unnecessary injuries sustained in the field due to these silly recommendations and laws for us shooters is silly . But there you go . She will have to work with a tail and hopefully this country will see bloody sense. The increase of tail trauma will rise . Never mind thank you for all the help so far . 

4 minutes ago, Wild bird said:

Wild bird I can guarantee you there's not a vet in the country who will dock a pup at that age, hence the difficulties you've already experienced.

On 23/08/2019 at 12:44, Corkman said:

Wild Bird,

Genuine People who work terriers concerned with the welfare of their working stock will usually have a local vet that understands the necessity of docking working dogs as was proven in the Scottish Report on Tail Docking. 

The problem lads would have giving out names of vets who dock to strangers on the WWW is that it is not out of the ordinary for ANTIs to be asking such questions and follow up ringing (harassing the Vets) and threatening them and actively trying to ruin the business and customer base.

Sadly this is the world we live in where the bleeding heart Antis do not understand the damage and unnecessary suffering they cause to working dogs by trying to deny such a simple procedure that dog men have been doing for centuries? Mind you they do not want us to work our dogs in the first place. Can’t blame genuine lads for protecting their interests and Vets. 

Best of luck with your quest. People in hunting circles will always have sensible vets. 

I had got a very sensible vet he retired now we have a vet who wont take his clients on . As he has his own clientele which I was a little bemused by 

6 minutes ago, Barrie said:

Wild bird I can guarantee you there's not a vet in the country who will dock a pup at that age, hence the difficulties you've already experienced.

Yes conventional vets wont touch her . The vet that will do would prefer to have her spayed at same time.  Why I am a little confused he said it would justify her going under anesthesia.  This vet is in the farm vets and sporting life . So I was confused to that. I just thought I would come to like minded people. Who whee on the same page. The person who bred her was not a shooter and her dog was a pet so hence she couldn't have them docked at correct age . I wish I had found her earlier but thought I was ok with the one I found but she gained parvo virus and her whole litter was wiped out.  Which meant I had to start looking . When you have been on a pup list for 2 years I didnt think I needed to start looking again . My working spaniel has slipping knee caps and is to be retired. So I need to get a dog up and running to work with my other spaniel as soon as I can but will take a while for this one to come on . I thought I had a little longer to get sorted but will have to work along side my father this year and next year with his labrador and my uncle with his german wire haired pointer. 

Thank you for your comments