Tail docking vet

Guest busterdog

I spoke to my local vet and he said he was prepared to dock 'working' breeds on 'proof of use'

I asked if shotgun certificate was ok and he said yes!

Cost was mentioned and he then said he thought he could do 3- 4 pups for a consultation fee approx £25 more pups then 2 consultations.

He also said the pups have to be chipped.

Prefer to dock and chip them at surgery, between 2 - 5 days old

He was going to look into 'ringing' as per lambs.

I know he had looked at all the DEFRA stuff and said there was 'no reason not to dock working breeds'

He is in Cambs pm me and i will see what i can do

Bit young to chip at that age mate ..

I said the same to him and i think its in DEFRA's guide!

I did ask if he would be prepared to wait until the pups were ready to go and he sort of said yes but would want a written gaurantee that I would do so

I'm having some pups docked today and chipping on the same day IMO is not an option, have you seen the size of the fookin needle they use...icon_eek.gif I tend to get them chipped a few days before they are due to go.

Edited to say that I've found the only vet in England with a conscience, he came around to my place last night and docked my pups and gave me the bill for chipping and docking which was a bit steep to say the least.

He called this morning to offer me seventy quid back as he couldn't settle.....thumbs.gif

Edited by busterdog
  • 9 years later...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wild Bird, Genuine People who work terriers concerned with the welfare of their working stock will usually have a local vet that understands the necessity of docking working dogs as was proven in

Wild bird..... I'm afraid there appears to be more than a little confusion here. There's not a vet in the country who would dock your pup once it gets past 5 days old, it would be illegal for the

I took my litter of 5 Lakeland/Patterdale pups to my local Vet on 12th March for tail docking, I had several letters from landowners with permission to control pests and vermin on their land. This wa

I am looking for a vet in the west midlands area that will tail doc . My puppy was only advertised at 8 weeks old so found her late on . If I had only got to her sooner would not have been a problem . The problem we have now is she is 8 weeks old and although we have a licence and we work our dogs in the field this is still not enough even though it can be done vets dont like to do it unless there is another procedure being done . Ie spaying ?? I was told that if I was to spay my bitch he would have done it immediately.  I said that i had all intentions of having a litter from her as long as her hip score and the health tests all came back ok . He said that I should wait see how she grows and call him in 6 months . This would then be in middle of her training and would in my eyes be too late . Now she would recover quicker. All help appreciated . The vet I have used in the past has unfortunately gone into retirement and his work colleagues will only do there own clients   :-( 

On 21/08/2019 at 12:59, Wild bird said:

I am looking for a vet in the west midlands area that will tail doc . My puppy was only advertised at 8 weeks old so found her late on . If I had only got to her sooner would not have been a problem . The problem we have now is she is 8 weeks old and although we have a licence and we work our dogs in the field this is still not enough even though it can be done vets dont like to do it unless there is another procedure being done . Ie spaying ?? I was told that if I was to spay my bitch he would have done it immediately.  I said that i had all intentions of having a litter from her as long as her hip score and the health tests all came back ok . He said that I should wait see how she grows and call him in 6 months . This would then be in middle of her training and would in my eyes be too late . Now she would recover quicker. All help appreciated . The vet I have used in the past has unfortunately gone into retirement and his work colleagues will only do there own clients   ?

Is that a terrier you are getting hip and eye scored !

On 21/08/2019 at 12:59, Wild bird said:

I am looking for a vet in the west midlands area that will tail doc . My puppy was only advertised at 8 weeks old so found her late on . If I had only got to her sooner would not have been a problem . The problem we have now is she is 8 weeks old and although we have a licence and we work our dogs in the field this is still not enough even though it can be done vets dont like to do it unless there is another procedure being done . Ie spaying ?? I was told that if I was to spay my bitch he would have done it immediately.  I said that i had all intentions of having a litter from her as long as her hip score and the health tests all came back ok . He said that I should wait see how she grows and call him in 6 months . This would then be in middle of her training and would in my eyes be too late . Now she would recover quicker. All help appreciated . The vet I have used in the past has unfortunately gone into retirement and his work colleagues will only do there own clients   ?

What a load of old bollocks.

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:59, Wild bird said:

Wild bird..... I'm afraid there appears to be more than a little confusion here.

There's not a vet in the country who would dock your pup once it gets past 5 days old, it would be illegal for them to do so and they would most certainly lose their license to practice. It should have been done at between 3 and 5 days of age.

The only exception to that would be, if it was necessarily performed in order to treat an existing injury (typically a tail injury). Other completely unrelated procedures such as spaying etc do not feature in the equation.

I hope this helps clarify matters - Barrie

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 3

Wild Bird,

Genuine People who work terriers concerned with the welfare of their working stock will usually have a local vet that understands the necessity of docking working dogs as was proven in the Scottish Report on Tail Docking. 

The problem lads would have giving out names of vets who dock to strangers on the WWW is that it is not out of the ordinary for ANTIs to be asking such questions and follow up ringing (harassing the Vets) and threatening them and actively trying to ruin the business and customer base.

Sadly this is the world we live in where the bleeding heart Antis do not understand the damage and unnecessary suffering they cause to working dogs by trying to deny such a simple procedure that dog men have been doing for centuries? Mind you they do not want us to work our dogs in the first place. Can’t blame genuine lads for protecting their interests and Vets. 

Best of luck with your quest. People in hunting circles will always have sensible vets. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
On 23/08/2019 at 12:44, Corkman said:

Wild Bird,

Genuine People who work terriers concerned with the welfare of their working stock will usually have a local vet that understands the necessity of docking working dogs as was proven in the Scottish Report on Tail Docking. 

The problem lads would have giving out names of vets who dock to strangers on the WWW is that it is not out of the ordinary for ANTIs to be asking such questions and follow up ringing (harassing the Vets) and threatening them and actively trying to ruin the business and customer base.

Sadly this is the world we live in where the bleeding heart Antis do not understand the damage and unnecessary suffering they cause to working dogs by trying to deny such a simple procedure that dog men have been doing for centuries? Mind you they do not want us to work our dogs in the first place. Can’t blame genuine lads for protecting their interests and Vets. 

Best of luck with your quest. People in hunting circles will always have sensible vets. 

I can assure u I did have a vet who has retired . We have been shooting for 40 years plus . Am not an anti . And it's only because I have bought outside breeding my own dogs that I have  a pup with a tail . The pup I had that was docked unfortunately died at 5 weeks old . Before I got her . I found my now pup but it was way to late for the initial 3.4 days old mark :-(.

I have predominantly had spaniels . But have decided working on the estuarys I needed a stronger dog to work with so have had an Italian spinone.  Yes I am new to this site . But I did have a vet . That was happy to do at any age . 

The vet practice he worked for has another vet but strangely will not take on any of his clients ?

so now I am in a awkward situation at reaching out to fellow shooting people who I thought may be able to help . 

we as a family shoot on Welsh estuary am part of basc and also part of a wild fowling group In machynlleth 

we are also branching out to shoot in scotland and have had mass amount of help and support from locals to getting guides to let us learn and shoot the soleway in january . 

we r not on here to rat any one out . 

On 23/08/2019 at 08:39, Barrie said:

Wild bird..... I'm afraid there appears to be more than a little confusion here.

There's not a vet in the country who would dock your pup once it gets past 5 days old, it would be illegal for them to do so and they would most certainly lose their license to practice. It should have been done at between 3 and 5 days of age.

The only exception to that would be, if it was necessarily performed in order to treat an existing injury (typically a tail injury). Other completely unrelated procedures such as spaying etc do not feature in the equation.

I hope this helps clarify matters - Barrie

I was also a little confused at to why said vet whom I wong mention said that but after researching.  I found many quoted vet comments that it could be done as long as vet was happy with it with correct paperwork in hand ie game keeper paperwork shot gun licence . And if not done at 3,5 days old should be left till 8 weeks and no more that 12 weeks old that's why I asked 

On 23/08/2019 at 12:44, Corkman said:

Wild Bird,

I can assure u this I am definitely no anti . I am genuine through and through I know I am a newbie here but we actively hunt and love it . My husband itches to get out soon as he can . He always says he was born with salt water in his veins the estuarys are starting to call already lol 

18 minutes ago, Wild bird said:

I was also a little confused at to why said vet whom I wong mention said that but after researching.  I found many quoted vet comments that it could be done as long as vet was happy with it with correct paperwork in hand ie game keeper paperwork shot gun licence . And if not done at 3,5 days old should be left till 8 weeks and no more that 12 weeks old that's why I asked 

No Wild Bird.... I suspect the time scales you were reading quite possibly related to the requirements for micro chipping AFTER the tail docking had been performed.

2 minutes ago, Barrie said:

No Wild Bird.... I suspect the time scales you were reading quite possibly related to the requirements for micro chipping AFTER the tail docking had been performed.

25 minutes ago, Wild bird said:

I can assure u I did have a vet who has retired . We have been shooting for 40 years plus . Am not an anti . And it's only because I have bought outside breeding my own dogs that I have  a pup with a tail . The pup I had that was docked unfortunately died at 5 weeks old . Before I got her . I found my now pup but it was way to late for the initial 3.4 days old mark :-(.

I have predominantly had spaniels . But have decided working on the estuarys I needed a stronger dog to work with so have had an Italian spinone.  Yes I am new to this site . But I did have a vet . That was happy to do at any age . 

The vet practice he worked for has another vet but strangely will not take on any of his clients ?

so now I am in a awkward situation at reaching out to fellow shooting people who I thought may be able to help . 

we as a family shoot on Welsh estuary am part of basc and also part of a wild fowling group In machynlleth 

we are also branching out to shoot in scotland and have had mass amount of help and support from locals to getting guides to let us learn and shoot the soleway in january . 

we r not on here to rat any one out .