Tail docking vet

I am looking for a vet in the leicestershire/northamptonshire area that does tail docking or even a mobil vet that would.

I have tried local vets but none are intrested.

I have found one in oxfordshire but was wondering if there was anyone closer.

I know this is always going to be a controversial subjet to some. I have trawelled the internet and can not find anything closer, any useful help would be appreciated

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wild Bird, Genuine People who work terriers concerned with the welfare of their working stock will usually have a local vet that understands the necessity of docking working dogs as was proven in

Wild bird..... I'm afraid there appears to be more than a little confusion here. There's not a vet in the country who would dock your pup once it gets past 5 days old, it would be illegal for the

I took my litter of 5 Lakeland/Patterdale pups to my local Vet on 12th March for tail docking, I had several letters from landowners with permission to control pests and vermin on their land. This wa

hi there i have a five month old fell with a tail and am looking to get him docked i went to my vet in suffolk and he told me if i had a gamekeepers licence he would do it but i have never met a keeper with one how much did the vet tell you he would charge

hi there i have a five month old fell with a tail and am looking to get him docked i went to my vet in suffolk and he told me if i had a gamekeepers licence he would do it but i have never met a keeper with one how much did the vet tell you he would charge

this one wanted gun licence or letter stating they are worked, price was not far off 45 a dog and they had to be brought back about six weeks old for chipping. the only bit i dont agree with is them being chipped so young. Also they had to be done in the first 5 days. I am not a vet but for a dog that is five months old it is probably a different ball game.

I took my litter of 5 Lakeland/Patterdale pups to my local Vet on 12th March for tail docking, I had several letters from landowners with permission to control pests and vermin on their land. This was good enough reason to have tails legally docked. Pups were 2 days old when this was done. Cost £10 per pup. Mother of pups also had her tail docked 2 and a half years ago by the same Vet in Gainsborough. Taking them all back to Vets on 16th April for chipping.

Edited by Bazt
  • Like 1

I took my litter of 5 Lakeland/Patterdale pups to my local Vet on 12th March for tail docking, I had several letters from landowners with permission to control pests and vermin on their land. This was good enough reason to have tails legally docked. Pups were 2 days old when this was done. Cost £10 per pup. Mother of pups also had her tail docked 2 and a half years ago by the same Vet in Gainsborough.

It is good to hear there are some good vets out there now i just need to find one a little closer :yes::D

you can't dock a tail at 5 months that would be more like an amputation. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

I spoke to my local vet and he said he was prepared to dock 'working' breeds on 'proof of use'

I asked if shotgun certificate was ok and he said yes!

Cost was mentioned and he then said he thought he could do 3- 4 pups for a consultation fee approx £25 more pups then 2 consultations.

He also said the pups have to be chipped.

Prefer to dock and chip them at surgery, between 2 - 5 days old

He was going to look into 'ringing' as per lambs.

I know he had looked at all the DEFRA stuff and said there was 'no reason not to dock working breeds'

He is in Cambs pm me and i will see what i can do

Edited by masmiffy

I spoke to my local vet and he said he was prepared to dock 'working' breeds on 'proof of use'

Cost was mentioned and he then said he thought he could do 3- 4 pups for a consultation fee approx £25 more pups then 2 consultations.

I know he had looked at all the DEFRA stuff and said there was 'no reason not to dock working breeds'

Bit young to chip at that age mate ..

Bit young to chip at that age mate ..

I said the same to him and i think its in DEFRA's guide!

I did ask if he would be prepared to wait until the pups were ready to go and he sort of said yes but would want a written gaurantee that I would do so

• 3 weeks later...

In Towcester in Northampton is a vetinary surgery called 'Beech House Vetinary Surgery' and they have working dogs too and are very happy to dock tails after recieving a letter from a Gamekeeper for proof that you are going to work them.