Duces first cat

the man has taken the time to post a report on an interesting hunt and out of boredom some see fit to belittle his efforts????

SAD.

waidmann

Waidmann he's posted into the terrier section saying it was his Terrier's first cat, When it clearly wasn't! I've had my pups looking in a few digs now and they've had a rag on a few carcasses but it was hardly their first Fox!

I missed the part where he said the pup was only 7 months old and have apologised for that, but don't go on like no one has got the right to post their opinion in when they don't agree with what's being said. If he or you can't handle people having different opinions then why join a forum to start with?

:clapper: Well put waidmann. Its a pity more cant see past the stop end of a dig.

What sort of ridiculous comment is that?

I happen to agree with waidmans comments. Also terriers can be more versatile than just earthwork. Just airing my right to an opinion, which you just defended? Think about it. :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a picture of Duce's first cat - she was about 7 months old. We went out calling in the mountains for the weekend it was my birthday. On the second call session this fine mountain bobcat came s

i would rather have a small(portable) dog to work most quarry,very rarely will i and most hunters need a dog to CATCH a bobcat,pig or elk the man is stalking and has probably alot more experiance of T

I hunt boar with jagdterriers. A terrier that tries to latch onto a boar isn't game, it's stupid and soon dead. I put the jagds on angry smallish pigs in a training pen when they are still pups. Witho

sorry bud we seem to have our lines crossed here,its not my dog :thumbs:

i've just flicked back through and couldn't see where i said it was the dogs first cat( i know as much of this dog as you and the next man).

waidmann

p.s. the comment from the above poster is just as valid as any comments made before imho,and exactly the point i have been trying to make throughout this thread.

lets not have a slanging match started on a decent thread and stay on topic,anything else we can do per pm???

thanks.

Fare enough. I'm not interested in ruining the thread with a load of garbage name calling. You seem a reasonable chap, I just had an opinion on what SGS said and expressed that opinion is all. I didn't come on here just to slag him off, I just wouldn't of said that it was Duce's first cat when the dog had no real part in taking it.

As it goes I'd like to hear more about these dogs Kye is talking about that have taken big cats if he don't mind sharing his experiences with us :good:.

PS. I never did say that the dog was yours.

ok mate then we both had the lines crossed :victory:

atb

waidmann

• Like 1

If any of ya'll ever get on this side of the pond and find yourselves in Texas, I can do my best to hook you up with a hog hunt with dogs and knives. It's something you just have to experience to appreciate. Then you guys can educate me on groundwork.

The type of dog you guys refer to that really gets stuck in with a hog we call "gritty". Some folks want very gritty dogs... others want a looser baying type. They both have their place, but grittier dogs tend to get beat up much worse. I prefer my terriers to stay away from the business end of a hog and not shy away from putting their teeth into a pigs rear end to stop it from running. I have one that does it alright, but the other is a lot grittier and is still figuring it out.

SGS, are you planning on using your terrier as a decoy dog?

Sean

I do allot of predator calling using electronic callers and set up at least 25 yards from the speaker - depending on cover and lay of the land. This year was her second season and she knows the drill, she jumps in the jacket and sticks hear noggin out scenting , listening and watching. She has had several fox and cat's shot over her and is much more "game" than at 7 months. On one occasion she put the chase on a wounded fox and ran it up a hollow pine - she went right in after it and got bit slightly, she will readily jump on a fox but is much more wary of any cat's she has felt the swat of a bobcat and has a couple of scars to show for it. The decoy dogs I've have seen video of are used for coyotes and I do call in an occasional Coyote. We call the tight canyon's , rock escarpment's and thick cover - this is where we find the fox and cat's - the coyote tend to be out on the flats. Can you decoy fox or bobcat's with a dog?

There has been several occasions when Duce sensed a fox way before I saw it , she come's in handy....

I am on new ground as far as Terriers are concerned. I did once have a bullxshepard that we took calling fo coyotes that was 20 years ago and I called exclusively for coyotes again the dog came in handy. I have only heard of a few hunters using dogs in conjunction with predator calling so it is uncharted territory. Thanks Waidman for all of the advice you have helped me with.

.SGS 8)

agree with waidman half of you commenting on his hunt have prob never bin to the usa what do we know about his ground an quarry its obvious if his dog was of no use to him he wouldnt still have it, think outside the box a bit lads dont be narrow minded.

It doesn't matter what the quarry is, a game terrier will try and tackle anything, no matter what size or how many claws or teeth its got. His dog turned and ran away from the quarry, so for me the dog isn't game. But in saying that the dog does what SGS needs it to do, so that's fair enough.

I'll also add that I can only imagine how tough them Bobcats must be, Feral cats over here can be right tough b*****ds so I bet they're a right handful.

I hunt boar with jagdterriers. A terrier that tries to latch onto a boar isn't game, it's stupid and soon dead. I put the jagds on angry smallish pigs in a training pen when they are still pups. Without fail, they will try and latch on and invariably get rolled. It teaches them a lesson. The smart ones learn to back up and bay, to nip at the pigs hocks to get it to turn or stop running (if you don't think a little dog can't stop a boar you should see what happens when a 20 pound jagd bites into a boar's balls), dart in and out keeping the pig turning until the catch dog gets there. Overly aggressive terriers are of no use hunting pigs in my area as they either get killed or cause the pigs to run. Maybe not what ya'll would want out of an earthdog, but we don't have a lot of ground game in my area of Texas. What we do have though, is an abundance of hogs.

SGS, what is the range on your jagds and what lines are they out of?

Sean

I don't have any Jadgs just the one JRT. I am interested in getinng a couple of jagds. I will PM you with my ideas....

I happen to agree with waidmans comments. Also terriers can be more versatile than just earthwork. Just airing my right to an opinion, which you just defended? Think about it. :thumbs:

Nah you were trying to be smart, with this comment -

... Its a pity more cant see past the stop end of a dig.

What a stupid thing to say!

Why even say it?

Why even say it?

Dont worry yourself about it. Just an opinion no more no less. Maybe touched a nerve? If so its your problem,not mine.I never insulted anyone,just made a general comment.

If you have to resort to insults,thats your choice and your right,just as it is my right to voice my own OPINION or agree with another.I hope that clarifies things.

• Like 1

If any of ya'll ever get on this side of the pond and find yourselves in Texas, I can do my best to hook you up with a hog hunt with dogs and knives. It's something you just have to experience to appreciate. Then you guys can educate me on groundwork.

The type of dog you guys refer to that really gets stuck in with a hog we call "gritty". Some folks want very gritty dogs... others want a looser baying type. They both have their place, but grittier dogs tend to get beat up much worse. I prefer my terriers to stay away from the business end of a hog and not shy away from putting their teeth into a pigs rear end to stop it from running. I have one that does it alright, but the other is a lot grittier and is still figuring it out.

Sean

I am on new ground as far as Terriers are concerned. I did once have a bullxshepard that we took calling fo coyotes that was 20 years ago and I called exclusively for coyotes again the dog came in handy. I have only heard of a few hunters using dogs in conjunction with predator calling so it is uncharted territory. Thanks Waidman for all of the advice you have helped me with.

.SGS 8)

That's the prime reason I just picked my two Airedales, Poncho and Willie ....to use as active tollers and recovery.

• Like 1

Sean

.SGS 8)

That's the prime reason I just picked my two Airedales, Poncho and Willie ....to use as active tollers and recovery.

Nice to hear from you Arron, this post has gone way further than I thought it would - Hell I was just showin off a picture of a Bobcat from over a year ago. I thought these UK hunters would like to see something from another part of the world....... Never meant to start any arguments over dog's. How are your Airdales doing? Are they pups? I would like to hear about the training you are doing PM me about it if you can please.....

SGS 8)

Why even say it?

Dont worry yourself about it. Just an opinion no more no less. Maybe touched a nerve? If so its your problem,not mine.I never insulted anyone,just made a general comment.

If you have to resort to insults,thats your choice and your right,just as it is my right to voice my own OPINION or agree with another.I hope that clarifies things.

Where have I used insults? and I'm far from worried about it clever cloggs. Just interested why you'd say something so pathetic about people/person you don't know.

But in saying that I've read enough out of you to draw up my own conclusions as to what sort of character I think you maybe, so I'm not at all interested in a reply out of you this time.

It's OK mate, really... don't waste your breath :bye: .

SGS sorry for taking your thread off topic :good: .

Sean

.SGS 8)

Nice to hear from you Arron, this post has gone way further than I thought it would - Hell I was just showin off a picture of a Bobcat from over a year ago. I thought these UK hunters would like to see something from another part of the world....... Never meant to start any arguments over dog's. How are your Airdales doing? Are they pups? I would like to hear about the training you are doing PM me about it if you can please.....

SGS 8)

Yeah , my boys are just pups....about 10 weeks old. So we have along way to go. It appears that they'll be broken coated like their dam. Was kind of hoping for big old killer Teddy Bears. Oh well. I'll keep you posted as they progress.

BTW, these guys are pretty passionate about their dogs and the methods on their use. Anytime you have an impassioned group.....disagreements will come along and prove very interesting.

Sean

.SGS 8)

SGS 8)

Yeah , my boys are just pups....about 10 weeks old. So we have along way to go. It appears that they'll be broken coated like their dam. Was kind of hoping for big old killer Teddy Bears. Oh well. I'll keep you posted as they progress.

BTW, these guys are pretty passionate about their dogs and the methods on their use. Anytime you have an impassioned group.....disagreements will come along and prove very interesting.

i think the passion should inspire the lads here to see "uses" of "their" dogs to the pride they are due as all rounders and masters of what you let them be and not "just digging dogs".

don't just keep him posted we are all nosey!!!!!!!!!

you are right that the disagreements are interesting. they sometimes promote debate and develope the general thinking between different groups (continents,countys,areas) which can only improve the basis of our work with the dogs in all areas.

waidmann