what's the deepest you have dug for your ferret ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nine feet is the deepest I've dug, but there was two of us digging thank f**k

never dug to my ferrets   i always gut a rabbit next to the closest hole an my old hob has always popped out hopefully the day don't come [bANNED TEXT] i haven't got a rabbit to gut!!!!   iv wai

9 and a bit foot picture of the back fill the next day...   Farmer said i made more mess than the rabbits never done them sets again to deep for me.

Posted Images

I've dug 5/6ft regularly but normally their about 3ft. Had a 6ft dig to my mates 3 legged hob last week through a mound of soil which turned out to be the old farm tip, netting, baler twine, plastic 5 litre oil drums, cobbles, asbestos, greenhouse glass you name it it was fecking in there :censored: .

I had a 9 ft dig over christmas (on me own :thumbdown: ) and a couple of weeks ago a 5/6 ft, again on me own :doh: . Just unlucky :laugh: . John

alright mate just incase i have to dig 9ft which thank feck i havent yet but how did u get your ferrets out because im only 5ft 8ins. i carry some barbed wire when im out just in case i cant reach a dead rabbit but thats only about a ft long. cheers mate

I had a 9 ft dig over christmas (on me own :thumbdown: ) and a couple of weeks ago a 5/6 ft, again on me own :doh: . Just unlucky :laugh: . John

alright mate just incase i have to dig 9ft which thank feck i havent yet but how did u get your ferrets out because im only 5ft 8ins. i carry some barbed wire when im out just in case i cant reach a dead rabbit but thats only about a ft long. cheers mate

When you start digging you'll need a wide hole then as you get deeper leave a ledge then carry on till breakthrough.

When you start digging you'll need a wide hole then as you get deeper leave a ledge then carry on till breakthrough.

cheers :thumbs:

My deepest dig is 9 feet, fortunately most of my land is sand so digging is relatively easy although you do need to dig a wide hole to avoid cave in's. In nearly 30 years of ferreting i've never lost a ferret thankfully.

If a ferret does lie up and it's deeper than i want to dig i'll wait and 90% of the time the ferret will appear. However if it doesn't and digging is the only option then i'd sooner dig than block all the holes up and leave it til the next day. All it takes is you ferret to dig itself out during the night and charlie pick it up along with it's locator collar. I've heard this happening on a few occasions, just look around the rabbit warrens and you'll see where a fox has marked the set, he/she will visit the warren every night to mark there territory.

Last year we dug 8 foot to a trapped ferret through an old farm tip, wire, concrete, masses of balertwine - twas lovely! Got the jill back though and thats what counts, she was in a caved in stop end and would've never got out on her own.

Digging for rabbits i limit myself to 4 or 5 foot max, any deeper and i'll either wait or squeak them out.