Schmidt and Bender 6x42 or 8x56 ??

Hello All,

Looking to put a fixed scope on my Wierhauch HW100S, I am a fan of fixed scopes. I am planning to put a Schmidt and Bender scope on, what would be best for low light air rifle hunting 6x42 or 8x56 ?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

John...

Hello All,

Looking to put a fixed scope on my Wierhauch HW100S, I am a fan of fixed scopes. I am planning to put a Schmidt and Bender scope on, what would be best for low light air rifle hunting 6x42 or 8x56 ?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

John...

Obviously the 8x56 will have better light gathering purely due to the larger objective lens but the 6x42 can hold its own under the lamp. I had a 6x42 on my Triple and easily lamped bunnies out to 100yds so there should be no probs at airgun ranges.

The 8x56 is a big scope, I have one on my stalker, so you might want to think about whether this will be a concern. I wouldn't think twice about putting a 6x42 on my .22lr.

HTH

I have to disagree with TT here. They will have equal light gathering at the eye piece because they are both 7:1 objective diameter (in mm)to magnification. I suspect you would be better off with the 6x42 because

1.) 8x is a lot for close shots, and

2.) you can mount it closer to the line of the barrel, reducing parallax.

Ric

I have to disagree with TT here. They will have equal light gathering at the eye piece because they are both 7:1 objective diameter (in mm)to magnification. I suspect you would be better off with the 6x42 because

Ric

How are the Wild Boar your part of the world???

Edited by Deker

Hello All,

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

John...

I find this sort of post rather difficult.

Personal view of course.

You can seldom spend too much on glass but I have to ask the question, what really is the benefit in normal daily use spending this sort of money or putting this sort of quality on a rifle for air rifle ranges?

8x is too much as well in my book, but magnification is rediculously personal!

ATB!

Ric

How are the Wild Boar your part of the world???

Boaring. At least until I can afford a 6.5x55. Then it will be a question of duck or grouse. Don't snipe at me or you will get my goat. I could rabbit on for hours, but I am going to hare off down the pub, my deer.

Ric

I have the 6x42 on my HMR, but I would not recommend it for an airgun unless it is FAC rated and most of your shots are out a ways as I find it difficult to focus both the target and the reticle on targets closer than about 20m, but of the two I'd go for the 6x42... 8x is really far too much mag on an air rifle scope plus it'd look daft- that scope isn't exactly short! (though it is shorter than a variable scope....)

DB

Ric

Agreed, the exit pupil is 7mm for both but from experience, having used both in the dark, I have to say the 8x56 edges it. Whether that be all in the mind who knows?

Ric

Got to agree with Ric on this one 6x42 would be the the one I chose for the above reasons :thumbs:

Deben Hawke Nite Eye

And spend the change on wine!!

I would have to suggest that I would be looking around the Hawke range(and similar)for scopes for this application, not S&B, but we all make our choices.

As I have also said, you can seldom spend too much on glass, but..... :hmm::hmm::hmm::thumbs:

Hello All,

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

John...

Hi:

For an airgun the 8x56 is a bit 'Big', fine on a Stalking rifle but not useful on an airgun, get the 6x42.

Also if you look outside Schmidt steer clear of high mag. centrefire variables with parallax adjustment, as you cannot focus them under 75 yards.

I know I bought a Leupold VX3 6,5>20x50 LRT for my .22 rimfire and could not see but a 'hazy' Rabbit at my favoured zeroing range!

Had to buy the same scope in 4,5>14 for the rimfire, and then get a .22 centrefire for the 'old' scope!

AndyF