for the true conservationist

I know near to where i live they have started to release buzzard's again in to the countryside because a lot of bigot nobhead's wiped them all out.. :( ..

Millet .

i could be wrong but i havn;t heard about a buzzard release programe! red kite yes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know near to where i live they have started to release buzzard's again in to the countryside because a lot of bigot nobhead's wiped them all out.. :( ..

Millet .

i could be wrong but i havn;t heard about a buzzard release programe! red kite yes

It was on the local news here a couple of years ago :yes: And im sure my pal in Shropshire said they had done the same there?

MOLL.

WELL MOLL,

I KNOW THAT TOWN VERY WELL ....... AND INFACT VISIT REGULARY ,

THOUGH TO BE CALLED A MECCA ? :blink: ..... SOUNDS LIKE A CERTAIN FELLAS SALES PITCH :yes:

THERE ISNT A HUGE AMOUNT OF WILDLIFE AROUND ... OR I HAVE BEEN UNLUCKY WHEN OUT RAKING REGULARY WITH A CLOSE FRIEND ?

TO BE HONEST MOLL ......YOUR RIGHT I DONT SEE A PROBLEM WITH CONTROLING ELEPHANTS OR TIGERS ... " IF " THERE NUMBERS BECAME A PROBLEM ..... IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT IT IS ....IF IT.......... " NEEDS " CONTROLING SO BE IT .

THAT DOESNT MEAN I BELIVE IN HUNTING DOWN THE LAST SNOW LEOPARD ETC FOR A FEW QUID ....

SO ......

WHATS THE POINT OF CONTROLING RABBITS / HARES THAT REALLY ARENT A PROBLEM TO THE FARMER ? ....... A QUESTION THAT COULD BE ASKED TO MANY HUNTERS I SUPPOSE , I DARE SAY THE ANTIS WOULDNT DRAW A LINE BETWEEN A BOP AND A RABBIT ?

YOU SEE MOLL ...... WHAT I WAS TRYING TO GET AT IS , AS TF STUDENT PUT IT THE BAMBI SYNDROME

IE, CERTAIN CREATURES YOU ARE ALLOWED TO KILL... OTHERS ARE TREATED LIKE THE HOLY GRAIL ., THE THING IS MOLL I TREAT " ALL " ANIMALS WITH THE SAME RESPECT , DEAD OR ALIVE, SOMETHING I WISH OTHERS WOULD DO ..

AS THE LAMPERMAN OR THE STALLION WILL TELL YOU , IAM A STUDENT OF NATURE , AND LOVE SEEING THE NATURAL WORLD AT LARGE AND HAVE SO SINCE BEING OLD ENOUGH TO WALK ....... BUT ........... AS MAN HAS OVER POPULATED AND THROWN THIS OVER CROWDED COUNTRY OUT OF KILTER , THE WILDLIFE NEEDS MANAGEING ........... IMO

ALL THE BEST DUCKWING ;)

spot on duckwing :clapper::clapper:

what is a true conservationist? your answers please

TO BE HONEST MOLL,

IF YOU LOOK IN THE RIGHT PLACES OUTSIDE OF MOST TOWNS , YOU WILL FIND DEER , FOX AND RABBIT ....... I SPENT MOST OF MY EARLY HUNTING DAYS ON RAILWAY EMBANKMENTS , WASTE GROUND AND CEMETRYS CATCHING THE ABOVE , IVE BEEN TO MANY OTHER TOWNS / CITYS AND SEEN MORE THAN MY FAIR SHARE AS WELL :yes: , IT WASNT THESE SURVIVERS I WAS TALKING OF !

IT IS TRUE MOLL THAT BECAUSE OF MAN WILDLIFE NEEDS HELP IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES , IF YOU LOOK BACK IN SOME OF MY PREVIOUS POSTS ON OTHER THREADS YOU WILL FIND THAT IVE PUT UP SCORES OF BIRD BOXES OF VARIOUS DESIGNS , PLUS OTHER LITTLE ACTIONS .....

MAYBE A BAD OPTION WITH THE OTTER MOLL ............ AS I BELIVE PESTCIDES HAD MORE TO DO WITH THEIR DECLINE THAN HUNTING , BUT I KNOW WHAT POINT YOU ARE MAKING

AND AGAIN ............ MY POINT IS ........... IF NUMBERS NEED REDUCING THEY SHOULD BE REDUCED

YOUR POINT OF PEOPLE NOT KNOWING WHEN A SPECIES BECOMES ENDANGERED IN AN AREA AND STOPS BECOMING A PEST SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD QUITE EASILY BE APPILIED TO YOUR RABBITS ?

ARE YOU STILL GOING TO HUNT THEM ?

TO ME IT STILL SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING DRAGGED OUT BY THE TREE HUGGERS IAM AFRAID

AS FOR BEING A MECCA ? ............. WELL YOU AINT BEEN AROUND HERE THEN ? :whistle:

EVERY OTHER HOUSE HAS A LURCHER AND THE ONES IN BETWEEN HAVE TERRIERS

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING ;)

IF YOU LOOK IN THE RIGHT PLACES OUTSIDE OF MOST TOWNS , YOU WILL FIND DEER , FOX AND RABBIT ....... , IVE BEEN TO MANY OTHER TOWNS / CITYS AND SEEN MORE THAN MY FAIR SHARE

Confusing me now Ducky, you said i'd have seen less where i lived than where i am now, and your query regarding where i used to live and you having seen very little wildlife...didnt you, or did i read it wrong :unsure:

Very true about the otters...chemicals made them infertile, BUT hunting still went on even though their numbers were declining.

YOUR POINT OF PEOPLE NOT KNOWING WHEN A SPECIES BECOMES ENDANGERED IN AN AREA AND STOPS BECOMING A PEST SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD QUITE EASILY BE APPILIED TO YOUR RABBITS ?

ARE YOU STILL GOING TO HUNT THEM ?

You have answered the question with another question, without actually answering the question. Using rabbits is a bit daft really, they are hardly on the endanged list or are ever going to be....cos they breed like rabbits :D:laugh: But ill take your example seriously.......If for some reason they suddenly died out, or i had killed them all, i probably would'nt know untill the day i went out hunting and there were none to kill...which is my point entirely ;)

TO ME IT STILL SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING DRAGGED OUT BY THE TREE HUGGERS IAM AFRAID
I disagree, to me i sound like someone concerned about the welfare of our natural flora and fauna, as all people who particpate in fieldsports should be. But im pleased you took on my suggestion, sounds so much better :D

MOLL.

RABBITS AINT ENDANGERED MOLL ?

THATS THE WHOLE POINT MOLLY ...................... A LOT OF BOP ARENT ON THE ENDANGERED LIST , EITHER ......... :rolleyes:

....NO MATTER WHAT THE VERY BIASED ANIMAL GROUPS SAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUCKWING ;)

Guest The Big Fish
Very true about the otters...chemicals made them infertile, BUT hunting still went on even though their numbers were declining.

Hi Moll, i think you will find that the otter hunts packed in hunting (voluntarily) long before any formal protection kicked in.

For the record i have to agree with Duckwing on this subject, when a population of any species becomes out of balance within its surroundings, it needs to be controled. Unfortunatley this sometimes means that because humans have a particular interest in something, i.e gamebirds, then certain species that may effect the numbers of "said" gamebird populations would normally be required to be at a lower population level then what may be natural.

The question that hasnt been asked is: is it right to control animals because they are in competition with mans interests?

Personaly so long as a species isnt put at risk of endangerment, then i dont see a problem at all.

Does it realy matter if there are no hen harriers on a particular peice of land (for the benifit of grouse) when they are flourishing in other parts of the country and the same example could be given for other species.

Its all very well saying birds of prey shouldnt be controled at all, but isnt this the very same thing that government have done in the hunting ban? Cuddly wuddly foxys shouldnt be chased down with big nasty dogs, but f**k the stinky winky auld rats?

Edited by The Big Fish

But you have also agreed with me ;) ....nothing you wrote apart from the Hen harriers was different to my views? I do disagree with you about its ok to wipe them out in a place they may have been in for centuries aslong as they are still in other places.

I have asked about.... is it right to control animals because they are in competition with mans interests? But i worded it slightly differently.....killing for greed/money.

MOLL.

THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION MOLL , :rolleyes:

IS YES :yes: ..................

IT IS RIGHT TO CONTROL ANIMALS BECAUSE THEY ARE IN COMPETITION WITH MANS INTERESTS

ISNT THAT WHAT WE ALL DO WHEN CONTROLING VERMIN ???????????? .......

HOPE THATS PLAIN ENOUGH FOR YOU :hmm:

DUCKWING :victory:

Interesting thread :yes: I understand the need for control of certain species in certain areas but was slightly p*ssed off this week when I found a barn owl that had been killed with a shotgun and left on display on a fence in a popular public walking spot......why? :no:

if so many bop,s are getting shot and poisoned , why are there still so many around ? it don,t make sense , around here the sparrowhawk , barn owl , tawny owl , little owl, buzzard and kestrel numbers have increased in the last 15 years, especially buzzards, theres also a kite bin kicking about for the last couple of years, this year i have also seen a hobby and twice a hen harrier ,and all these sitings were in the middle of a grouse moor that is surrounded by other grouse moors, on the same moor , i see buzzards every time im up there, if they are all getting shot and poisoned , could i have seen some ghosts or was it those mushrooms i ate ?

if so many bop,s are getting shot and poisoned , why are there still so many around ? it don,t make sense , around here the sparrowhawk , barn owl , tawny owl , little owl, buzzard and kestrel numbers have increased in the last 15 years, especially buzzards, theres also a kite bin kicking about for the last couple of years, this year i have also seen a hobby and twice a hen harrier ,and all these sitings were in the middle of a grouse moor that is surrounded by other grouse moors, on the same moor , i see buzzards every time im up there, if they are all getting shot and poisoned , could i have seen some ghosts or was it those mushrooms i ate ?

Is that your scientific conclusion then Moley? It's fairly obvious that not ALL BOP's are being persecuted, but I think we all know what goes on.

THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION MOLL , :rolleyes:

IS YES :yes: ..................

IT IS RIGHT TO CONTROL ANIMALS BECAUSE THEY ARE IN COMPETITION WITH MANS INTERESTS

ISNT THAT WHAT WE ALL DO WHEN CONTROLING VERMIN ???????????? .......

HOPE THATS PLAIN ENOUGH FOR YOU :hmm:

IT IS RIGHT TO CONTROL ANIMALS BECAUSE THEY ARE IN COMPETITION WITH MANS INTERESTS ? This is an interesting point, but I would have problems with something like a pigeon fancier wanting to take out a local peregrine because his prize bird didn't return home.

TO BE HONEST MAVPHILL ,

I WOULDNT , IF THE BOP IS CONSTANTLY ATTACKING HIS FLOCK , WHATS HE SUPPOSED TO DO ??

I SEE NO DIFFERENCE IN A FARMER SHOOTING A FOX THATS PREYING ON HIS LAMBS TO THE ABOVE .

A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE LOST NEARLY 10 BIRDS TO A SPARROWHAWK THAT CONSTANTLY PREYED ON HIS BIRDS OVER A 3 WEEK PERIOD , TILL IT MADE THE MISTAKE OF FOLLOWING HIS BIRDS INTO THE LOFT , NO MAN WHO LOVES HIS STOCK COULD PUT UP WITH THAT :no: