is kulling unwanted kits more responsible?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This question will always polarise and cause arguments, it doesn't do us any favours.   It happens and it's happened for years, what a person does with their own stock is their own concern.   Ho

Folk are against us because we kill bunnies.I can't understand the mentality of folk who will happily kill rabbits all day long, but bleat about somebody killing a few new born hobs on welfare grounds

LOOK some do some don't simple as that, it's you who has to make the moral and ethical choice so to hell with anybodies opinion. Personally I only breed every couple of years or so just to replenish m

Perhaps the ferret rescue places that 'abound' all over the country :whistling: should have a register of all the available vasectomised hobs for people to 'borrow' when they need them?

Or have a stock of vasectomised hobs they could offer themselves?

If they 're-home' ferrets perhaps they should only offer them vasectomised or neutered to prevent the breeding of unneccesary stock! [as do Wood Green]

Cat protection do a scheme where you get a voucher to get any kitten spayed / neutered which is taken from them and given a good home.

with so many litters of ferrets offered for sale should you just keep what you need?

iv got two jills that ill breed from soon iv breed ferrets before and know you never make money from them. i only keep jills i need a few for next year myself and a couple of freinds have asked for two jills ill charge tenner each just to cover costs.

i think ill kull all hobs at birth as i think its better in the long run. does any one else carry out this practice?

I dont breed to avoid waste and think its not something you'd not want to openly discuss.that said I dont condem thoose that do if done right.theres to much surplus livestock brought about buy breeding for the sake of it and you can bet alot of them dont live happy lives before they meet there untimley end.it can all be avoided if you think long and hard before you breed thats if you need to.

Edited by sako trg
  • Like 1

As a friend of a ferret rescue i can never condone the killing of an animal just because it is surplus to requirements, as a food source (i.e. the dead animal will be used to feed something) not so bad, just not good. The rescue i know had over 40 kits last year, some from irresponsible breaders (not the right colour), some abbandoned, including some with mum. If you are looking for a particular sex of ferret a rescue is a good place to start. The rescue will usually make sure the kit is handleable(?spelling) before re-homing. This saves you trying to find a suitable hob and the any complications with your jill during prenancy or delivery.

As a friend of a ferret rescue i can never condone the killing of an animal just because it is surplus to requirements, as a food source (i.e. the dead animal will be used to feed something) not so bad, just not good. The rescue i know had over 40 kits last year, some from irresponsible breaders (not the right colour), some abbandoned, including some with mum. If you are looking for a particular sex of ferret a rescue is a good place to start. The rescue will usually make sure the kit is handleable(?spelling) before re-homing. This saves you trying to find a suitable hob and the any complications with your jill during prenancy or delivery.

in its natural state nature would do the culling for you they wouldnt all survive.as I have said I find it unnessesary because of all the surpluss about means for most people there is no need to breed.culling is always going to go on in the world of working livestock its unavoidable in some cases which is why its so important to think before you breed.I dont like the practice dont practice it and dont preach to thoose that do.ferret rescues do a fine job :clapper: but the fact that they exist tells me theres somthing amiss in the ferreting game.alot of the people Ive met that do cull have seen whats amiss and dont what to add to it,they have kept thier own lines for years and dont take culling lightly and do it with a heavy heart.but be honest how many of us have breed ferrets let them go to a mate who come april is knockin on your door saying do you know anyone for this ferret?just because the work is over for the season :hmm::thumbs:

'masmiffy' date='04 April 2010 - 08:30 AM' timestamp='1270366200' post='1511445']

Perhaps the ferret rescue places that 'abound' all over the country :whistling: should have a register of all the available vasectomised hobs for people to 'borrow' when they need them?

Or have a stock of vasectomised hobs they could offer themselves?

Without trawling threw pages and pages wasn't it Wullieh who said passing about a snipped had could pass a std ????

Here's another question.

Presumably those who breed do so because they think that working ability is passed on from parents to offspring. (That's the ferrets, not the ferreter :D ).

So how do you know which kits to cull?

The ones you cull might be (potentially) the best workers you ever bred.

Which rather defeats the object of 'the line'.

if the ability is there (ie) both parents are from working stock the ferrets will have the hunting instinct.

any ferret has this instinct it just the way they are reared which curbs this aggression and the handler who dictates the way his or her ferrets are used dressing ferrets up in little outfits and giving them little toys to play with and spraying them with perfume so they wont smell horrible is ok for some but for me.

a ferets role is bolting rabbits and doing what it would naturally plus giving it a comfortable and rewarding lifestyle and making sure it is well looked after handling all my ferrets every day and spending an hour or so with them a couple of times a day pays dividends when the season starts ,an old saying (the ingrediants are all there its up to you to bake the cake) you only get out of your ferrets what your prepared to put in give them the oppertunity and the work and most will and earn ther keep

Here's another question.

Presumably those who breed do so because they think that working ability is passed on from parents to offspring. (That's the ferrets, not the ferreter :D ).

So how do you know which kits to cull?

The ones you cull might be (potentially) the best workers you ever bred.

Which rather defeats the object of 'the line'.

heres somthing to ponder on.most of the ferrets that end up rescued are of an age(not still blind)so were was the vetting process before and after the sale of the kit?this is a tricky subject with no satisfactory answer for all parties.most people just want rid of the surplus and to some selling is just a concience solver because they dont want to make any upsetting decisions.we have to be carfull where we draw lines or we run the risk of becoming like antis pushing our views down someone elses throat.to the original question;is it more humane?make your decision,deal with it solve your own concience!

So are you saying that the 'instinct' is the same in any ferret, and it's just the way they're brought up that determines how good a worker they are?

thats what ive found.took on my mates daughters 2 jills 7wks ago they work aswell as my old jill and they were kept as pets(little outfits the lot).sorry if I sounded off with you driod in my last post didnt mean to :icon_redface:

Sound off all you like. :laugh:

I'm on record (on another forum) of saying that sometimes the ones that get bucketed are the lucky ones.

I just don't see the point of breeding if you only want one or two ferrets.

So are you saying that the 'instinct' is the same in any ferret, and it's just the way they're brought up that determines how good a worker they are?

thats what ive found.took on my mates daughters 2 jills 7wks ago they work aswell as my old jill and they were kept as pets(little outfits the lot).sorry if I sounded off with you driod in my last post didnt mean to :icon_redface:

To say that the working ability of of all ferrets is the same, is simply not true. I've kept ferrets for 50yrs, some are skittish, nippy and untameable, some are indifferent when it comes to work.If you're working rat, the differences are even more apparent, some good rabbit strains are useless for rats, they either don't want to know or go off the idea after a few attempts. A good working strain that works what you want, the way you want, is priceless.