is kulling unwanted kits more responsible?

so wrong no wounder we have so many people agaist us. fair play asking the question mate but there really is no need i took on 2 albino jills never been worked before just stuck in a hutch not much handling now they are brilliant in the field and as pets and im getting a hob this year so i had my jills in for the op so there is no unwanted kits. plenty of unwanted ferrets out there mate so please reconsider :thumbs:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This question will always polarise and cause arguments, it doesn't do us any favours.   It happens and it's happened for years, what a person does with their own stock is their own concern.   Ho

Folk are against us because we kill bunnies.I can't understand the mentality of folk who will happily kill rabbits all day long, but bleat about somebody killing a few new born hobs on welfare grounds

LOOK some do some don't simple as that, it's you who has to make the moral and ethical choice so to hell with anybodies opinion. Personally I only breed every couple of years or so just to replenish m

so wrong no wounder we have so many people agaist us. fair play asking the question mate but there really is no need i took on 2 albino jills never been worked before just stuck in a hutch not much handling now they are brilliant in the field and as pets and im getting a hob this year so i had my jills in for the op so there is no unwanted kits. plenty of unwanted ferrets out there mate so please reconsider :thumbs:

Folk are against us because we kill bunnies.I can't understand the mentality of folk who will happily kill rabbits all day long, but bleat about somebody killing a few new born hobs on welfare grounds because no one wants them,you just can't rehome hobs around here.It's no different to bull calves or cocks in the egg industry, I breed my own hens, guess where the cocks end up. Grow up.

• Like 1

Surely the answer is to not breed if there is no demand. Makes perfect sense to me. Rabbits are killed because, as I'm sure you are aware, they are pests which cause significant damage if allowed to go unchecked. They are also a good source of food. We are not in control of their breedings and therefore only have the option to reduce numbers through lethal methods.

We are in control of domestic ferret breedings, therefore we can achieve a reduction in the number of unwanted ferrets by simply not breeding more until there is need of them, without having to kill anything.

Why breed them in the first place then there's a a lot of youngsters going to breed there's as they think they will make money from it or have no access to a snipped hob so breeding the jill will be the easisest option. But if you do breed them i see no harm in culling the surplus theres far too may ferrets born and we need to clean up our act ,and as dotty says there animals no kids

Surely the answer is to not breed if there is no demand. Makes perfect sense to me. Rabbits are killed because, as I'm sure you are aware, they are pests which cause significant damage if allowed to go unchecked. They are also a good source of food. We are not in control of their breedings and therefore only have the option to reduce numbers through lethal methods.

We are in control of domestic ferret breedings, therefore we can achieve a reduction in the number of unwanted ferrets by simply not breeding more until there is need of them, without having to kill anything.

I haven't breed any for 2yrs, and I'me not breeding this year, only breed when I need some, but still can,t rehome the hobs. Been breeding my own for 50yrs, I know thier temperament and working ability, seen to many with skittish iffy temperaments and dubious working ability to just take any old ferret. At the end of the day your useing killing to control rabbits for practical and economic reasons, the same with the ferrets, practical as in houseing them and economical as in that with the amount of livestock I've got you wouldn't wan't my feed bill.

Same here ive no breed mine for ages easier to get a couple of kitts in,But how long till you see kitts advertised on here £15 each or a £10 each then a couple of weeks later FREE TO GOOD HOMES .On another site they totalled up the kitts members had bred and it ran to nearly 1000 :wallbash:

I think the main decision when breeding is 'can i buy in better kits than i can breed?'. If the answer is no, then breed your best being completely honest with yourself about the standard they work at, keep what you want, give the rest to worthy ferreters and if there is any unspoken for at birth then i have no bad concience about humanely culling them. If of course the answer to your question is 'yes, i can buy in better working stock than i can breed' then bloody well do that! But you have to be completely honest with yourself about your ferrets working standard! Too many people are breeding half rate ferrets because.... well f**k knows why. This attitude of 'all ferrets work so doesnt matter what they are bred from or where they come from' is bollocks quite frankly, yes all ferrets work but if you want ferrets of a high standard you have to breed a line to a high standard. Culling isnt cruel (theres absolutely no pain involved) but it is perhaps wastefull, but then thats the world we live in, wish it was different...

Folk are against us because we kill bunnies.I can't understand the mentality of folk who will happily kill rabbits all day long, but bleat about somebody killing a few new born hobs on welfare grounds because no one wants them,you just can't rehome hobs around here.It's no different to bull calves or cocks in the egg industry, I breed my own hens, guess where the cocks end up. Grow up.

no dick head people hate us because they think we have no respect for animals, obviously there right when it comes to people like u. my bull calves go for veal and cock chicks go to falconers and other animals food chain the rabbits i kill feed my dog, ferrets and myself nothing goes to waste your ferrets go down the toilet. and if u ever met me i think u would see im very grown up, sweet heart x

LOOK some do some don't simple as that, it's you who has to make the moral and ethical choice so to hell with anybodies opinion. Personally I only breed every couple of years or so just to replenish my stock. and I would cull. People do it with dogs again some do some don't, It's all about your conscience not somebody else's

• Like 1

with so many litters of ferrets offered for sale should you just keep what you need?

iv got two jills that ill breed from soon iv breed ferrets before and know you never make money from them. i only keep jills i need a few for next year myself and a couple of freinds have asked for two jills ill charge tenner each just to cover costs.

i think ill kull all hobs at birth as i think its better in the long run. does any one else carry out this practice?

Just buy in what you need, It might end up being cheaper in the long run. And get your friends to buy in too.

At the end of the day though, its your decision so its entirely up to you what you do.

ATB

no dick head people hate us because they think we have no respect for animals, obviously there right when it comes to people like u. my bull calves go for veal and cock chicks go to falconers and other animals food chain the rabbits i kill feed my dog, ferrets and myself nothing goes to waste your ferrets go down the toilet. and if u ever met me i think u would see im very grown up, sweet heart x

I am a falconer and my culls go to my breeding pair, so who's the dick head now. :wankerzo4:

its good to hear peoples veiws thanks.

and it seems i live in the dark ages then. im no hipocriteto myself, me choping a rabbit on the necks is no diffrent to nutting blind and unaware ferret kits and id do both. i may be old fashioned but all my animals are worth fedding and breeding and thats how breedings been done for 1000s of years. theres a lot of people on here how are only one step away from being in the anti docing gang.

• Like 1

I am a falconer and my culls go to my breeding pair, so who's the dick head now. :wankerzo4:

HERO

its good to hear peoples veiws thanks.

and it seems i live in the dark ages then. im no hipocriteto myself, me choping a rabbit on the necks is no diffrent to nutting blind and unaware ferret kits and id do both. i may be old fashioned but all my animals are worth fedding and breeding and thats how breedings been done for 1000s of years. theres a lot of people on here how are only one step away from being in the anti docing gang.

Yes mate, anyone who doesn't agree with wasteful, unavoidable killing is obviously an anti.

I've already explained why and how it is different. As for being unable to rehome hobs- why, exactly? Are the hobs being bred not good workers? If they aren't good workers...why breed them?

Also, I'm going to have to call you on the Appeal To Tradition. It's a logical fallacy, as you should know. There's many things that have been done for thousands of years, it doesn't make them justifiable. Things must be considered for the impact they have here and now. And breeding ferrets when you'll only have to kill some...I personally don't agree with it. Because it doesn't make an iota of sense.

My question is - why are you breeding from two jills when you already know you will have too many kits? And instead of making a responsible decision and making sure you have homes for them etc etc your just going to kill what you dont need. Wow. . . . . . . Another person breeding for no reason.

And as for putting human ethics onto ferrets, yes they are animals, but so are we, 'human' is just the name for our type of animal, just as ferret or dog are names for other types of animal, i reckon the all deserve equal respect. . . . and to be fair my ferrets have been more uuseful to me and better company than most humans i've met.

jmo

Jai.